New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8lb Maxima doesn't list the diameter; does anyone know? Would a 3X 8lb be more liable to break than a 1X 8lb? I'm a little confused as to why this 3X 8lb stuff I've got wouldn't hold where the 8lb Maxima would.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Kind of off topic, but I always use 6 pound tippet. I find the presentation is much nicer. And easier to break if you get a fish on that is stubborn and won't come in quickly.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kind of off topic, but I always use 6 pound tippet. I find the presentation is much nicer. And easier to break if you get a fish on that is stubborn and won't come in quickly.
Maxima? I think I have some of that size.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with Greenbutt on the 6lb, I've even gone down to a 4lb when water levels have been low for a bit. Alot more long distance releases on the 4lb but alot more hook ups also. I haven't felt the need to go under 8lb in the last couple years as water has been up and not as clear when I been out.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with Greenbutt on the 6lb, I've even gone down to a 4lb when water levels have been low for a bit. Alot more long distance releases on the 4lb but alot more hook ups also. I haven't felt the need to go under 8lb in the last couple years as water has been up and not as clear when I been out.
Interesting! Do you guys use fast action rods? I've lost quite a few even on the take with the 3x tippet and wonder if it's the stiff rod not protecting the tippet for me. (Orvis Clearwater 2 with 9.5 tip flex fast action)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Interesting! Do you guys use fast action rods? I've lost quite a few even on the take with the 3x tippet and wonder if it's the stiff rod not protecting the tippet for me. (Orvis Clearwater 2 with 9.5 tip flex fast action)
I personally think it's more about the presentation of the fly and the smaller the tippet the less likely a salmon is to notice/see it. Maybe its just blind luck but I have always had better luck with enticing a strike on the lesser weight/size tippet. I figured since I use to have 2 colors of leader one for the Bay of Fundy rivers and one for the Miramichi system , if color mattered then more then likely size did to. I'm using a 4 piece StreamSide 9.5 and a 10' Sage. My first 3 rods might as well been solid steel compared to these , course having your dog take 6" to 8" off both of them helped make them a bit stiff:/

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My first 3 rods might as well been solid steel compared to these , course having your dog take 6" to 8" off both of them helped make them a bit stiff:/
Yikes! I wonder if the Sage people have had any claims for THAT reason before

1 - 9 of 9 Posts