New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hooked what I guess was a salmon on Sat night, I was in a daze and not really paying attention when it took the hook. I had about 5 feet of excess line in my non rod hand so I pinched the line with my rod index finger and lifted the rod up while reeling in the excess line. Once that was done I let off the index finger line to see if it wanted to run, it took a little line the stopped all the while shacking the line. I started to reel in and again the fish swam at me so I reeled fast....then it spit the hook out....20 secs of fun.

What did I do wrong? I didn't snap the line up after it took (like my first grilse and trout fishing), I assume that we are supposed to do that? If the fish isn't running with line, am I supposed to reel or wait?

I have access to a private pool that can be fished for about 150 yards and then I can switch side of the river and fish the running side (fish run up this side). Since getting access, I strictly go to the pool and don't bother going to crown pools. I saw 6 fish Wed, saw 1 and hooked 1 Sat and nothing today. It's not a great spot in higher water but ok. Should I not put all my eggs in one basket and move around or just fish both side of the river?

·
Registered
298 Posts
So I hooked what I guess was a salmon on Sat night, I was in a daze and not really paying attention when it took the hook. I had about 5 feet of excess line in my non rod hand so I pinched the line with my rod index finger and lifted the rod up while reeling in the excess line. Once that was done I let off the index finger line to see if it wanted to run, it took a little line the stopped all the while shacking the line. I started to reel in and again the fish swam at me so I reeled fast....then it spit the hook out....20 secs of fun.

What did I do wrong? I didn't snap the line up after it took (like my first grilse and trout fishing), I assume that we are supposed to do that? If the fish isn't running with line, am I supposed to reel or wait?

I have access to a private pool that can be fished for about 150 yards and then I can switch side of the river and fish the running side (fish run up this side). Since getting access, I strictly go to the pool and don't bother going to crown pools. I saw 6 fish Wed, saw 1 and hooked 1 Sat and nothing today. It's not a great spot in higher water but ok. Should I not put all my eggs in one basket and move around or just fish both side of the river?
moose your beating yourself up!! just enjoy the outtting !! if you hook something great !!! I'm gonna tell ya something you are not the only one that has that frustating and addictive nature !! I suggest pick a pool that you see salmon and stay there it might take hours but that is salmon fishing. Cheers

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sounds like it was a hookbill if he was shaking your rod/line; When this happens I think they are shaking their head back and forth and this is quite effective for getting rid of the hook, especially if it's a barbless hook. Some may not agree with me but I would probably use barbed hooks until I had landed a few to get the experience. I think you did everything pretty much right but with barbless you'll probably lose more fish. I wouldn't reel if there's sufficient pressure to keep the line tight unless it's later in the fight; you can force the fish more in the last 25% of the fight.

I would stick with that pool if I were you because there's obviously fish there and they aren't being bothered by anyone else (or are they?). Even resting the pool for an hour can change things up; new fish move in, current fish decide to take etc.

I'm relatively new to the sport myself so I hope some others add some comments. Congrats on the fish!

And yeah...what Zamboni said!

·
Registered
111 Posts
moose your beating yourself up!! just enjoy the outtting !! if you hook something great !!! I'm gonna tell ya something you are not the only one that has that frustating and addictive nature !! I suggest pick a pool that you see salmon and stay there it might take hours but that is salmon fishing. Cheers
I agree 150%
I've hooked alot of fish in my life time and there aren't many that I recall setting the hook on.....it seems Your into fish every trip out....just relax and enjoy

·
Registered
122 Posts
This happend to me twice this year. The first time, I hooked one and it ran right for me and I couldn't reel in in time. It then decided to take off in the other direction with all this slack in my line, and the last thing I remember was seeing it's arsehole on it's second jump before breaking off.

The second time, I fished the pool backwards. I threw my line up river, all this slack comming right at me and I felt something. At first I thought it was a trout. I got all mmy slack in, set my drag looser, and lifted my rod just to make sure and then it took off...Had my drag been set tighter, I'm sure it would of broke off. Needless to say, I landed that one...

If that pool your fishing is active and it's not to far out of the way, I'd stay put...We are very limited where we can fish now, and what better place to be than a spot where you don't have to fish shoulder to shoulder with anyone...

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Yeah, I had about 5 of them that came right for me this summer. I even nearly slapped one on the butt, he came so close! I landed all but one that got off that way (couldn't reel in fast enough and got too much slack line or something). My fishing buddies also had a bunch of them do that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hooking a fish is pretty much a good outing, losing one after less then a min or 2 sucks but the take, thats most of the fun. As for when a fish kinda "rushes" you I usually forget about reeling in line a strip the line in and reel what i can while keeping a slight drag on the line with my fingers. Not sure if that makes sense but I think it is pretty much what you did.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hooking a fish is pretty much a good outing, losing one after less then a min or 2 sucks but the take, thats most of the fun. As for when a fish kinda "rushes" you I usually forget about reeling in line a strip the line in and reel what i can while keeping a slight drag on the line with my fingers. Not sure if that makes sense but I think it is pretty much what you did.
I have had fish swim towards me, but as lahaves said I have many fish hooked with out having to "set" the hook, just remeber keep your line tight once you get the tug start reeling, if you have extra line keep the tug on don't let go of the line till you have all your slack in. That is why it is always important to have your footing sometimes it's having to move while you retrive that slack line your body is the best part of your equipment, drag comes next ! Riverwalker you were asking about the Renous I will be there Oct. 4th to the 11th be more then glad to fish a pool or 2 if interested.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have had fish swim towards me, but as lahaves said I have many fish hooked with out having to "set" the hook, just remeber keep your line tight once you get the tug start reeling, if you have extra line keep the tug on don't let go of the line till you have all your slack in. That is why it is always important to have your footing sometimes it's having to move while you retrive that slack line your body is the best part of your equipment, drag comes next ! Riverwalker you were asking about the Renous I will be there Oct. 4th to the 11th be more then glad to fish a pool or 2 if interested.
I hope to be up tues weds. let me know where you think you 'll be, just curious if you drive a toyota?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts