New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you keep a grisle in Quaryville??

Just curious heading up there on the weekend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can you keep a grisle in Quaryville??

Just curious heading up there on the weekend.
@ Ace and all other salmon fishers on this site. You should never keep a grisle. We need to practice catch and release to ensure the salmon stay around.

Trust me, being able to look at the pictures of the fish swiming away will make you feel much better than eating it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
@ Ace and all other salmon fishers on this site. You should never keep a grisle. We need to practice catch and release to ensure the salmon stay around.

Trust me, being able to look at the pictures of the fish swiming away will make you feel much better than eating it.
I don't really agree with your statement "you never keep a grisle"... cmon now!
Nothing wrong to keep a few bright grisle during the season, nothing wrong to eat a nice grisle on BBQ. You can always tags some of them (this is why they are giving tags) and still do the catch & release... I won't tag 8 grisle's and bring it home with me but I will def tag 2-3 for sure during the season to fed the family and guest, nothing better than having a nice lunch with the family. Just my 2 cents..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see any issues with keeping the odd grisle.
I have released many of fish, maybe a dezen or so grisle this year, even though they swam away I am not naive enough to think they all survived. I hope the day never comes that all fishing will be catch and release. Keeping the odd fish for the bbq is just as much a part of fishing as releasing one for another to catch. My two cents anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't see any issues with keeping the odd grisle.
I have released many of fish, maybe a dezen or so grisle this year, even though they swam away I am not naive enough to think they all survived. I hope the day never comes that all fishing will be catch and release. Keeping the odd fish for the bbq is just as much a part of fishing as releasing one for another to catch. My two cents anyway.
If things keep their current path you will most likley never see a catch and release fishery due to the fishery being closed or non exsistant.

·
Registered
132 Posts
what is the point of fishing if we can't enjoy a couple of fish. Everybody talks about conservation, c and r, barbless hooks when are we all going to agree it has to be the dfo and dnr to come together and come up with a better solution so there will always be fish in the waters, they should not sit on their asses and let the problem get even worse than what it is now, close the rivers at the right time and leave some rivers close to replenish the system my 2 cents

·
Banned
169 Posts
I am all for C&R and if you do decide to keep a grilse legally then that is your choice but remember that fish will never have a chance to grow or possibly spawn. We need every fish in the river...taking 1 out really has no meaning and if C&R is done properly the fatality rate is extremely low so if you released those fish properly then they probably did survive.
As far as I am concerned C&R next year wouldn't both me a bit and I am actually hoping they put it in for the entire system not just certain sections. Unlikely this will happen and if it doesn't then lower the damn tags to 2

If you want salmon for supper buy it at the grocery store. Not that farm fish is a perfect solution by any means as that industry also hurts salmon but the more fish in the system the better. I just believe that salmon fishing really has nothing to do with feeding your family or a tasty meal on the BBQ but that is just my opinion
Fishing to me is all about being outside on the river relaxing and making memories..Take a camera and get some pictures that will last you a lifetime.

Yes we all know that DFO and DNR need to get organized and fix things and with the election coming up maybe its time for all fisherman to remind our elected officials that this is a major issue to ALL of us and that they better start fixing it.

As for fishing right now.......your crazy as the water is so low and warm your doing more harm to the fish than anything. If you did get 1 to take which I doubt then your only going to kill it by exhaustion. Break it off right away, even better wait for rain and cooler temps then enjoy some fall fishing.

Fly fisherman need to start thinking and acting like conservationists instead of hook n cook fisherman. Salmon die for no good reasons all the time we shouldn't be adding to the problem.

·
Registered
298 Posts
go catch your fish .. tag him and walk away proud .. this crap about killing a fish and catch and release is amazing .. if you fish using the regulations in front of you your intitled to do so .. don't feel bad. Until the rules change it is what it is .. If it is that bad .. stop posting here to convert, start sending emails to the ones that wanna run this province !

·
Registered
132 Posts
yes zan who should we all be talking to, everybody here always says the same thing about C & R, your killing everything and there will be nothing left later on doun the road for the future fisherman, makes a person feel guilty about keeping a fish to bring home. I also would like to fish for the rest of my life but we as fisherman have to finally get together and change the way it is, I agree with 2 tags that would help but we need a program like the hunter saftey course not only to teach but to informe the people buying licences the proper way to fish

·
Registered
298 Posts
well today it is walley stiles .. send him your comments ..as far as after the election i'm sure there will be a new appointed minister of natural resouces .. so whom ever is gonna read this site ... start sending now.. what your concerns are if you want change ..will it help .. ?? it's all we can do till then.

·
Banned
169 Posts
wally stiles.....he doesn't even have the decency to respond to letters that are sent. I send letters to a fairly long list of public figures and if it doesn't fill their wallets then they don't give 2 shits.

As far as posting on here and trying to convert anyone, I am just giving my opinion. If you decide to kill a grilse and do it legally not much I can say.
I really believe that most people don't realize how bad things are out there and that everyone needs to open their eyes and start showing some conservation when on the water so we can all be teaching our grand kids how to fish, cause the damn gov't and natives aren't going to protect the salmon

so if you or anyone else thinking I am preaching and trying to convert people then so be it but I really don't care cause someone needs to speak the truth

·
Registered
60 Posts
If the fishery is so bad that all the rivers are catch and release they should close it.
If keeping the odd fish is going to tank the species. We shouldn't be catching them at all.
Last figure I saw said that 40% of salmon caught in the summer that are released die anyway.
Some of the craziness that I here on this site, on a previous post someone said they where using 4lb test so that as soon as they hooked a fish they could break him off.?????????????????????? why bother fishing????(unecessary stress to the fish) The person that tags a fish in the morning and goes home has killed 1 fish.
The person who catches and releases 5 or 6 fish in the run of a day, how many of those actully survive??

P.S. Good luck getting through to Wally Stiles he cares about are resources as much as the stump in my front yard..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ace, I can tell you right now that there hasn't been one paper that has shown a 40% mortality rate in C&R salmon. It's this mentality that we need to get over. The higher end estimates are around a 5% mortality rate. This all hinges on the condition of the fish, water temperature and available oxygen. That is why catch and release angling is ideal under cooler temperature conditions less than 21 degrees C and ideally around 16 degrees C. You want to tell yourself that a 40% mortality rate is "the norm" as you retain and tag fish then that is just brainwashing yourself. Please make yourself knowledgeable on catch and release angling. I would rather have a healthy fishery under catch and release angling than a meat fishery that cannot be sustained and therefore no fishery at all. I CAN GUARANTEE THAT EVERY FISH YOU TAG DEFINITELY DOES NOT LIVE TO SPAWN! For those of you that might want to see your kids or grandkids take up salmon fishing, please seek out the proper catch and release angling techniques listed on the ASF website or another reputable source. Why we need the government to tell us what we already know is beyond me. If you know you are killing fish, then you know what the outcome is. That fish WILL NOT SPAWN! You can only C&R 4 fish per day and then off the water for the day. You wouldn't want to fish at all under the conditions that we have had in the past week (temps greater than 21 degrees). If you use your head then you don't need the government to tell you what is best for the fishery because you already know.

ASF Live Release

Miramichi Live Release Study

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you beleive if Salmon fishing closed completely (I a mean angling) that salmon numbers in NB would get better? If so do you know how many fish get taged in NB waters every year compared to fish caught comercially?

Just curious.. Cause I am still not convinced that fish taken by angling has a significat effect on the salmon population.

For example they pull 4000 to 5000 salmon out of the nets in Red bank give or take.
I would be curious to see how many fish are taged on the miramichi watershed in the run of a year.

I guess what I am saying is even if C&R mortality is arround 5% in perfect water conditions.

For the 8 tags that a guy can use do you beleive it has a significant impact on salmon numbers, compared to the thousands of fish caught in nets in the river system and befor they even get to the river system.

I don't know the numbers so I am stipulating.

And for your information I have proably landed 25 fish this year and have yet to keep one just enjoy discussing the topic...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ace, can you please read this and we can discuss some more? I am glad you are open for discussion. Having an idea of the numbers and take from the fishery is important.

Miramichi Salmon Assessment

Last known averages for recreational catches from 1991-1995 (last years for this info) was over 24,000 fish annually on the Miramichi system. Now probably not the same now given the run size and increase in catch and release angling more recently, but I would bet it is atleast half 50% of that or more (at least 12,000 fish). That is recreational, not first nations harvest. When you read over the document, pay attention to the 2008 numbers. Think about the northwest in 2008, 1,006 fish reported harvested on the crown reserves in ~2500 rod days, or also can be stated as ~12% of the returning fish. What do you think the total take would be on other water (crown open + private) on this system? The total return of small salmon (grilse) was estimated to be ~7,800 fish (range ~5,000-11,000) on the northwest. Recreational angling alone on that system could have possibly harvested half of the returning fish. Now in 2009, 312 fish were harvested on the crown reserves, but again that is 10% of the return and you could prabably double or triple that based on the crown open + private water harvest. The total number of returning grilse in 2009 was 2,975. I just want you to see how every fish counts. Every fish!

·
Banned
169 Posts
In 2008-2009 there was 21,846 salmon licenses sold. Imagine if everyone that had a salmon license used 4 of their tags (which is only 1/2 of the legal amount)
That is 87,384 fish that would be killed in 1 season of salmon fishing
yes not everyone fills 4 tags a season but even if the average was 2 tags per licsense used...that is almost 45,000 grilse in NB that died

·
Registered
22 Posts
You know, the term Highjacking comes to mind as I read down through this thread. A man asked a question, and it was answered. Then it all fell to pieces by the third post. Shame on you all, and go start a thread titled something like the best thing to do for salmon is release them, or something.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Derek,

Ditto X 2

While I too practice CandR 99% of the time...I still like to keep one or two a year. Call me ol' fashioned, but a fresh fish on the BBQ with friends/family is a real treat that we might experience once or twice a year if were lucky. Haven't kept any this year...but I would have tagged 1 had I got some action last Sat AM. That would have been probably the one and only for the year and I've CandR'd about 7.

Don't publically condemn the guys who like to exercise their right to tag a few fish every year. CandR'ing four fish via the "4 lb test method" during a low-water heat wave like Wilsons' and others are promoting is far worse than tagging out on the first fish you catch and then heading for home. If you want to tag a fish, then who cares about hot water and warm temps...your sole intent is going to get a fish for the BBQ, tagging it, and going home. . Might take you a while, but really what's the difference if it warm water or cold water, other than tougher fishing. If your a die-hard CandR conservationist and strongly oppose stressing fish during the hot spells, then stay home and don't go at all. Thats cool too and 100% respectable.

No offence NBDH, but speculations on 21 thousands licences and four tags per licence killing 87 ,000 fish is silly. I know lots of guys who buy a salmon licence and don;t get out once all season due to work and family commitments. I know lots of other guys who buy salmon licences merely in hopes of getting Crown Reserve, don't, and then and don't get out at all. And, I know lots of guys who buy salmon licences and get out 2-3 per summer...and don't get squat. Every licence is not tagging fish...or even fishing at all for that matter.

Catch a grilse, tag it, don't let it go to waste, and enjoy your success as a flyfisherman.

CandR is important, no doubt about that, but there is a reality that not ALL people like to CandR ALL the time...and as Stuart Smallie from SNL would say, "and thats O.K."

P.S. Yes...you can keep a grisle in Quarryville.

RH

1 - 20 of 26 Posts