New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys we are going to need to start battling our current gov't

I have heard from some very solid sources that there are 3-4 stretches in our province that are very close to become privatized to lodges that charge big bucks to fish their pools.
1 or 2 of them could happen before the 2012 fishing season.
Kedgwick forks and Berry Brook are 2 of them and I am not sure on which other ones are on the selling block

Once the gov't starts to sell these off it won't be long before they are all sold!

we can't allow that to happen

·
Registered
250 Posts
Guys we are going to need to start battling our current gov't

I have heard from some very solid sources that there are 3-4 stretches in our province that are very close to become privatized to lodges that charge big bucks to fish their pools.
1 or 2 of them could happen before the 2012 fishing season.
Kedgwick forks and Berry Brook are 2 of them and I am not sure on which other ones are on the selling block

Once the gov't starts to sell these off it won't be long before they are all sold!

we can't allow that to happen
I'm yelling NOOOOOO!!! inside right now. Please say it aint so! Surely they would have to present the idea to the public first?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm yelling NOOOOOO!!! inside right now. Please say it aint so! Surely they would have to present it to the idea to the public first?
Not good news but I have heard this awhile back. My concern is us residents have to make good use of these streaches to make it feasible. I believe that it is eventually all gonna be C & R and to monitor that would mean more resources which with cut backs today I can't see happening. Especailly when there are a few that feel that spending $105.00 for a camp and the abilty to fish some of the greatest streches here is a waste of $$ if you can't keep a fish ! Personnaly I don't feel that way and I wish others would take something like this and realize if we as residents aren't gonna use these streaches then I can see the Gov't crunching ##'s and saying it's better to hand it off to a private lodge that already enforces C & R. Sad thing is yes these waters will be C & R and for the not so rich will be out of bounds. All because some ppl. feel that if they can't keep a fish then I'm not going. I'm pretty sure next years draw will reflect that it's something I'm gonna be keeping an eye on in March. It's great for the group that applies but when you have streches sitting empty it's just another reason to say well it's not feasible.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Don't forget that this year the Crown Reserve draw was conducted before the announcement for C & R was made, and yes, some people turned in their stretches because of it. Next year, we all know now there will be C & R in effect on the NW Miramichi, and I'm willing to bet that there will be lots of applicants to fill all available spots. I don't know how many spots were left unfilled this year, mainly due to when the C & R annnouncement was made and so on, but there will be plenty of applicants next year, if for no other reason than knowing that the " strictly meat fishermen" will not bother to apply, and that leaves a better chance of getting a spot on Crown Reserve for those who do.

And yes, we do need to fight any notions like privatizing Crown Reserve Fishing. We were able to make Shawn Graham back down on his plans to change servicing on Crown Reserve camps and the people of this province subsequently sent him packing with his tail between his legs.

Mr Alward should be made aware that the outdoorsmen of this province are watching him closely, and we're propared to help oust him if need be.

I'm proud to carry a bumper sticker on my vehicle that says " I Fish, I Vote!"

·
Registered
37 Posts
First off, every person who cares should right a letter to the Minister. This actually works because the hunters did this during the past winter to put a hold on Gov't permitting foresters to cut Deer Winter Areas (NB Hunting Forum). The government received so many letters about this and other issues that they are changing policies on how government handles letters.

Second, the crown reserves are way to cheap currently and should be bumped up because private individuals/groups are willing to pay big bucks. A private pool on the MSW sold for $1 million (1 pool).

Third, cut backs to DNR are an issue to control.

I just started fishing salmon 5 or 6 weeks ago and love it even though I haven't caught anything. I am starting to like it more than deer hunting, which is my passion, because you can catch and release. I personally wouldn't care if we were only given 1 tag per year and then C & R. There would be alot of pissed of locals and require more enforcement.

The reason why salmon fishing in NB is strong is because of private water / controled water. This is the same reason why the deer herd is near an all time low (2011 harvest is predicted to be the lowest in history) because 80% of our land is controled by foresters and only 20% is private. So, private water can be good for the entire system but I don't think selling all Crown Reserve is a good idea.

·
Banned
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
want a moose tag I agree with you, privatization is a big part of why salmon fishing is so great here in NB but that shouldn't apply to the CR stretches. These stretches are no open water so you could consider it private for the NB RESIDENTS.

Guys your right we need to fight this and prevent it from happening. Our Gov't needs to know this isn't acceptable and we need the residents of NB to be aware of this and get this out in the public light so people are aware before its too late..

anybody know a good reports that could do this story??

I think if you look at the unclaimed water and the list of cancellations from the announcement of C&R you will notice 1 thing compared to last year...very few people turned in their successful draw due to the changes.
C&R is a very critical reason why the fish numbers are coming back. I only have a live release license and if you do legally fill your tags then so be it that is the law and who am I to say.
But for the CR stretches why bother keeping a fish. you were only allowed 1 per day anyway. go to a public pool hook your fish and take it home if you so choose. Fish the CR stretch for 48 hrs with a good possibly of landing 8 fish in that time no that sounds way more fun that only hooking 2 fish and then having to watch.

I have no issues with paying $100 to get a stretch of prime salmon water for 48hrs or a daily stretch. I try to do 2 or 3 trips a year to CR's this year it didn't happen and I only did Berry Brook daily but that is ok. last year I did 3 trips and worth ever cent.

I will be writing a letter to several groups today (dnr, premier, ASF, MSF, etc)
guys start the letter writing we need to stop this before its too late

·
Registered
97 Posts
Although I'm sure C&R has something to do with the great returns in the last few years,Also the 100 000+ escapees from fish farms I would bet has some part in it to. I am more confident that the high waters over the last 4 years and the deal kept in place with Greenland had the Most to do with the numbers. Even back a year or 2 when the counts were down, I question the numbers accuracy when the rivers were 4-6feet high during the main run of the summer and one counting fence was removed during this time. I believe the fence's only account for 3% to 10% of actual fish returning depending on conditions/water levels which have been ideal for the most part over the last 5 to 7 years comparatively speaking. The idea of lowing the tags to 5 or 6 is great and would make sense to me but Although I partly agree with C&R on crown waters I can not believe that retaining 3 fish opposed to hooking and playing / landing dozens would be much or any better in the end result. Too many people have no idea how to C&R. There should almost be written/oral exam given before you can get your CrownWaters.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The CR waters are always on the upper branches and tributaries where the fishing can be good because the pools are spread out over rough terrain and the fish have few places to hold up, thus concentrating their numbers. Despite this, there are not THOUSANDS of fish in these upper tribs, rather hundreds and in some cases, likely only dozens. To think that over a 48 hr stretch each group could take 12 fish home (1 each per day times 4 rods) is appalling to me. If each group did this these stretches would be fished out in no time. This is not to say that each group has that good of fishing each time they go, but that is the potential catch. I am all for C&R all the time on CR waters, not just after Sept 1.

Political action can be successful, just look at how opposition to the natural gas "fracking" has made the government reconsider.

Finally, as mentioned, we need to show that us residents are using the CR waters. Go to the gnb website and see how many stretches and dates of stretches were not claimed and you can see why gov may want to give up the program. There was a lot of water that was not claimed. We need to use it, or we may loose it! Encourage your angling friends to apply.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts