New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much being reported lately! I saw eight fish roll/jump yesterday in Juniper and being alone in the pools, tried different flies over them with no luck. Maybe they've all been snagged and released. The water was down but not too low. A very slight breeze straight up the river made me feel like I was learning to cast all over again. I tried a spot that looks like a pool to me but is not listed on the map and found it was full of brook trout and salmon parr. Hooked four or five 8-10 inch brookies in a short time; must be schooled there. Maybe it's time for me to ease off the fishing and get some yard work done before winter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Once we get a foot of snow it will look like the yard work is already done:) no need to to do anything till then and say its all done haha

·
Registered
298 Posts
I haven't been on the water since the end of the first week of July
so I look forward to the reports here to help me get through the days......

Signed
HOME SICK
I'm heading up next week for a few days I will keep ya posted. Has the fall run started there yet? I'm leaving the Renous and driving to Truro Fri. Oct. 7th. I just might have to wet a fly over thanksgiving in my home province

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just got back from fishing near Blackville and it was crazy how many fish were showing. We saw over 100 fish in a few hours on Saturday. Unfortunately, nobody got one on. Saw many fish again this morning. I rolled the same fish twice but he would not take. At around 9 30, my line went tight and I landed a 34 inch hen. That fish sure was healthy! Heading back tomorrow. Yahoo!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was at the Ponds friday and saturday for meetings and took my rod. We fished their private water below the bridge and I landed a dark grilse on friday on an undertaker. The owner said things were slow as far as catching, but that there were plenty of fish in the river and they were on the move. She said she saw some brights jumping this past week. That was it for me despite some more time fishing on Sat. I saw many fish jumping all over the river, not just in pools but even in shallow areas above gravel bars. There were 3 fish landed by another group in the pool above the bridge in 45 min at dusk while we watched from our lodge where we were assembling for dinner. The same guys landed at least one more the next morning in the same pool. Apparently the Ponds owners no longer own exclusive rights (although Keith said they had access to it) to the water right in front of their own main lodge/restaurant so I never had the chance to fish that pool. Too bad, as that was where I hooked my first and biggest ever salmon 7 yrs ago when I was there for another set of meetings. I lost that fish that day so I was hoping for a little revenge this time around! Maybe another yr.
Here's hoping that all those fish are on their way to Juniper eh Wannafish?

·
Registered
37 Posts
They are very active but not taking. Before hitting the River Sat, I watched 15+/- fish jump in front of the camp. The pro I fished with landed a 20+ lbs Hen, I got to tail it for him. This morning I fished alone and had x# Salmon/Grilses jump a total of 26 times in 3.5 hours. No takers, they would jump after I had fished over them. Sounds like they have slowed with taking. Does this mean spawning?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was back at two and a half pond near burnt hill on Friday. Fish jumpimg all over. Managed to catch about a 12 lb. salmon after an hour of fishing. Fished for two hours but only landed one.
had one grab from another.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These reports are encouraging! Sorry to hear you haven't been able to fish for so long Lahaves; I get anxious to go if I haven't been for longer than a week so I'm guessing it's been hard for you. My 87 yr old father felt it necessary to order 12 cord of wood in tree length which he plans on cutting/splitting himself so I may not get much more fishing in this year myself

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm heading up next week for a few days I will keep ya posted. Has the fall run started there yet? I'm leaving the Renous and driving to Truro Fri. Oct. 7th. I just might have to wet a fly over thanksgiving in my home province
From what I here there is no water in the North Shore NS rivers and very little in Cape Breton.....I haven't fished NS in quite a few years and with living in the Annapolis Valley it is quite a distance to travel to a salmon river....If I'm going to travel to fish it would be to NB not anywhere here in NS

I'll be back on the water mid June next year

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was at the Ponds friday and saturday for meetings and took my rod. We fished their private water below the bridge and I landed a dark grilse on friday on an undertaker. The owner said things were slow as far as catching, but that there were plenty of fish in the river and they were on the move. She said she saw some brights jumping this past week. That was it for me despite some more time fishing on Sat. I saw many fish jumping all over the river, not just in pools but even in shallow areas above gravel bars. There were 3 fish landed by another group in the pool above the bridge in 45 min at dusk while we watched from our lodge where we were assembling for dinner. The same guys landed at least one more the next morning in the same pool. Apparently the Ponds owners no longer own exclusive rights (although Keith said they had access to it) to the water right in front of their own main lodge/restaurant so I never had the chance to fish that pool. Too bad, as that was where I hooked my first and biggest ever salmon 7 yrs ago when I was there for another set of meetings. I lost that fish that day so I was hoping for a little revenge this time around! Maybe another yr.
Here's hoping that all those fish are on their way to Juniper eh Wannafish?
I was part of the group fishing above the bridge at Ponds on Friday and Saturday. There were five of us in total (my friend and I, and another group of three). Four fish were landed Friday evening (one on bomber and three on undertaker). Saturday morning I released a nice grilse (undertaker), and there were four others landed by lunch time (two on glitter bear, and two on green machine). My friend and I left at noon but the other three stayed until Sunday. Not sure how they made out after we left. But there were a ton of fish showing in the pool. And I saw a fish jump under the bridge that must have been 40 pounds. It was a monster. Overall a good outing.

P.S. Ledges now own the pool in front of Ponds above bridge. We got it at a silent auction for Ducks Unlimited.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I fished Burntland Brook pool in Boiestown this morning for an hour and a half. I have never seen so many fish in the river. They were jumping everywhere in the pool and even in the fast water below and above the pool.However, no takers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I fished Burntland Brook pool in Boiestown this morning for an hour and a half. I have never seen so many fish in the river. They were jumping everywhere in the pool and even in the fast water below and above the pool.However, no takers.
Yeah, I actually stayed at Barry Duffield's rented room on Friday night. He's the guy who's house is right at the pool (the $25 for a dozen flies guy). He was saying the same thing... the pool is full but no takers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was part of the group fishing above the bridge at Ponds on Friday and Saturday. There were five of us in total (my friend and I, and another group of three). Four fish were landed Friday evening (one on bomber and three on undertaker). Saturday morning I released a nice grilse (undertaker), and there were four others landed by lunch time (two on glitter bear, and two on green machine). My friend and I left at noon but the other three stayed until Sunday. Not sure how they made out after we left. But there were a ton of fish showing in the pool. And I saw a fish jump under the bridge that must have been 40 pounds. It was a monster. Overall a good outing.

P.S. Ledges now own the pool in front of Ponds above bridge. We got it at a silent auction for Ducks Unlimited.
Wow, you guys really got into some fish. We were pretty jealous watching all that action from the run below the bridge in such a short time. That pool looked like it would fish well from that little sand bar in the middle of the river.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts