New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a rumor? or is it legit? Hearing talks of Harper government trying to change the fisheries act section 35? Trying to have the word "habitat" removed? Has anyone heard this rumor?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
yup, and it scares the crap out of me.
in a perfect world, this isn`t a problem. in reality, where we all live, this opens all waters up to any form of abuse and destruction. put up a dam anywhere. an annoying almost extinct fish? - who cares. all the people along a lake are living off the now toxic fish? - they can move some where else (which will also now be poluted). this is very scary stuff. oh, and of course you wouldn`t have to worry what the polution is doing to the fish.and the people.
they are trying to immitate the states, except down there this stuff is balanced by the rights of the individual to sue some one for doing any of that nasty stuff, weither the laws allow it or not. here, once it`s allowed, it will be very hard to stop it, and the damage will be done.
in todays world, mactaquac would not have been allowed to have been built. it is after all sitting on the spawning bed for stripers and several other species, and we now know better (according to the cri sj river report, they knew better when they built it but the politicians hid the info from us...). by this law, they can drop dams anywhere they want. this is the opposite direction of what the whole world is trying to do enviromentaly. they will be able to change any lake into a tailing pond, just like they have done a couple times already in the oil sands. i wonder if they will change the name to Destroy the Earth Day instead of just Earth Day.
this is a shameful case of pure blind greed.
governments are supposed to protect the people. it`s their prime job.
our kids and grand kids will curse us for this.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I agree, ipop.

This legislation seems purely driven to get the pipelines built, but the Harper government has long wanted to have the pesky environmentalists interfere with 'good' industries.

I'm all for business and industry, however the very nature of them puts them at odds with the environment. While I think 5 years to do an environmental assessment is ludicrous, I still think there needs to be a real assessment with teeth that can stand up to industry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts