New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys!
We live in central Ontario and my wife and i have been looking to move and buy a house with a bunch of land in NB. Now...i LOVE fishing camping, hunting. Here in Ontario i get out 3 days a week most of the spring/summer/fall and one or two times a week in the winter to go fishing or hunting. My wife and i were planning to move a few hours north of us here in Ontario(where the fishing for specks, lake trout, smallmouth bass, walleye, northern pike is reallllly good) however unfortunately the affordable land of 15 years ago has all dried up in the northern reaches of Ontario. My wife and i went to visit my brother for 2 weeks this summer who lives in St Andrews, and both her and i loved the rugged landscape of NB. So...our house is up for sale and now we are looking at some places in NB. Most of the properties we have been looking at are in the Hartland-Plaster rock-Woodstock areas of the province. There is also a few e we are looking at in the fredricton area. Here in Ontario there is countless lakes and rivers and in NB i see there is alot less. How is the fishing overall in those areas? Are alot of lakes inaccessible due to private roads/land? I will be bringing my flatback canoe and the 2.2hp yamaha motor when we move, and i will be buying a smaller 14-16' boat to fish out of.(wont be restricted to only shore fishing)
I was a little dissappointed when i saw the regs for the very limited ice fishing seasons, as i love spending time on the hard water, and i dont want to have to drive 2 hours just to be able to get out there.
Species i am after are Salmon, Brookies, smallies, Stripers, Lake Trout, Landlocked Salmon, burbot and Chain Pickeral, char and of course muskies.(everything) I have fished quite a bit for Brookies, Salmon, Musky and lakers, and i have fished a ton for Smallmouth bass, but i know very little about techniques/bait/lures for char, stripers, sturgeon, landlocked salmon, burbot(ling) and chain pickeral. I am guessing that typical trout lures and flies will work for char, and smaller crankbaits/soft plastics for chain pickeral as they are basically a small northern pike.
I am interested in Ocean species as well, but i know absolutely nothing about ocean fishing, i know i will have to travel to find them though if we end up in the woodstock area. Ive always wanted to catch a small shark...is there any areas which i could stand a chance at finding one? Is there a chance they can be had near St Andrews?
Anyways thats all for now...I look forward to learning about the East Coast fishing from you guys! And i look forward to meeting some of you face to face for some fishing when we move out there!

·
Registered
576 Posts
hey, Fredericton would be pretty much centrally located to all the species you mentioned, the shark stuff you'd have a little farther drive.. not sure but i think there are charters for that in the bay of fundy or the northumberland straight. Not sure of the distances say from Freddy to fish the miramichi or to the mactaquac head pond.. i know you can fish musky in Freddy up and down the saint john river and if you want to fish chain pickerel (not walley as we don't have any walley in n.b., some call walley pickerel...here we call pickerel..pickerel : ) I've only done some smallmouth fishing, to far for me to drive up past freddy from moncton... there is landlock salmon around freddy and down by saint john. we only have a stripper season in the bay of fundy i believe. would have to check the guide.. no open season on the east cost of n.b. now brook trout.. now that is something that if anyone knows where there are good brook trout.. you'll be hard pressed to get it out of them.. from my experience anyway.. there are some catch and release fly fishing only locations on the kennebacasis river.

I'd suggest that you try fishing and hunting here first.. i'm not sure you'll find it up to snuff with what you're use to in Ontario.. but I could be wrong.. don't sell the house yet! lol I can comment though that last year was a banner year for salmon fishing on the miramichi!

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you are interested in Atlantic Salmon then you should be thinking of the Miramichi River watershed. I think pretty much everywhere else in the province is closed to Salmon fishing. THere are a number of lakes that have landlocked salmon. Some down around Saint John, and some around the Harvey/Mcadam area. There are some salmon in the Saint John River system, but not big numbers - and you are not allowed to target them.

Trout - there are a number of places that are known as good trout waters. The Miramichi system again is good for trout. I know there are a few rivers along the Saint John that are supposed to have decent trout numbers. I don't target them often, so I can't tell you many. The Nashwaak River (a tributary of the Saint John River, with it's mouth here in Fredericton) is known for decent trout fishing, and was in the past a solid salmon river.

Smallmouth bass are throughout the Saint John River system and many tributaries and lakes. They are pretty easy to find. Same with chain pickerel. They are pretty common.

Muskies - I'm no expert, but they are only found in any regularity in the Saint John River from Oromocto up. My understanding is that they are in greater numbers up around Woodstock, but there are a couple of muskie tournaments in the Fredericton area every year. I suspect they would be found near Hartland area, but I really don't know how frequent. I'm sure others could help you better.

Stripers - Although they appear to be in big numbers in tidal areas of the Miramichi and the east coast of NB, they are currently closed to fishing there. They are most frequently fished for near Saint John, at the mouth, or up the Saint John River and Kennebecasis River. They are found as far north as Fredericton for sure. In fact they are a bycatch of people targetting muskie in the area. I wouldn't expect to catch one every time you went fishing though - especially in the Fredericton area. I don't know if any ever get past the Mactaquac dam above Fredericton though.

Sturgeon - I'd say we have one of the best Atlantic ans short nose sturgeon fisheries in the world in the Saint John River system. From Fredericton down to the mouth of the river you can catch them. More closer to Saint John though. You can also catch them on the Kennebecasis River, which is where they are most frequently targetted. The Kennebecases River along the Norton shore is frequently called sturgeon alley, and every fall there is a sturgeon tournament there.

There are people that can give you much better information than I. I can't give you much insigt at all in the fishing around other parts of the province. If you dig through old posts on specific species you will undoubtably be able to glean some good information on where to best target individual species. Plus my focus has been around Fredericton, so my information is a bit skewed this way.

Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot for the info guys!
Chadman-
As for walleye/pickeral thing i know...i was psyched out and all excited when i initially started doing research on the fishing in NB and saw there was many lakes with pickeral, then i realized when i found this site and saw some pics...chain pickeral.(i have only caught one chain pickeral before when i was a kid so it'll still be cool to catch some) I wont lie, i will miss walleye leaving ontario.
My wife and i are still considering to stay in ontario if the right place comes up for sale, but you sure dont get the land and water access you will on the east coast for our budget.($100k hardly gets you anything waterfront or water view anymore)

BobD- wow thanks for the breakdown!
One of the properties we were looking at was very close to Nashwaak River. Fredericton area has quite a bit going for it for us. Close fishing with species options, fairly close proximity to city(ideally a 40 minute drive from fredricton), decent land for farming(wife is into hobby farming), and not to far from my brother in St Andrews.
For salmon i dont mind driving a few hours for a trip a year to mirimichi. Mirimichi area is too far out away from my bro in St andrews and too much added distance for relatives visiting from Ont. I suppose i am more interested in Landlocked salmon as ive never caught a salmon in a lake before except a Kokanee out in BC.

More later...thanks again!

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are great fishing opportunities here in NB, hunting not so much. However ensure you become familiar with the regulations, especially the hunting ones. I came to NB a couple of years ago and I was blown away at how heavily regulated this province is. Still shaking my head at some of the regs...............

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as hunting goes, i am archery only(for now) and small game only for now (primarily Grouse), but i am planning to go for a deer or moose one day. For hunting and fishing i adhere to the regs very strictly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BobD-

Muskie- I am very exicted to hear you say that the muskie are plenty in the woodstock area as muskie are definitely one of my preferred species(and one that is very, very hard to find in our area on Ontario) and woodstock is one of the areas we are looking to buy.

Bass- Smallmouth bass are on the low end of the scale for me, as in our area of ontario we get both great numbers(50 fish days are common for us in the summer) and great size for smallies and largemouth bass.(i see a few bass in the 5-6 pound range and a bunch of 4lbers in a year)

Stripers- Darn...i was hoping there would be an open season for these as i would love to target and catch one using muskie gear.(don't care about keeping them though)

Trout- I love early season trout fishing in rivers, just getting out and walking 10km or so though some thick bush is awesome. I expect mostly only brookies....is there no rainbow trout run in the spring in NB? Also about sea trout...can someone give me more info about those? Areas, lures, baits, techniques ect

Sturgeon- I would love to catch a sturgeon, as i have never got one before(they are here in Ont, but season is closed) If we en up in Fredericton i WILL be putting alot of effort into getting sturgeon. If not i will travel to find some.

I will definitely be searching out old posts once we get some offers on our house and are seriously looking at a new place in NB. Until then i am doing general area searches trying to find out which areas are most desirable.

Can anyone tell me what the fishing is like in the Tobique River? One of the places we are looking at is directly across the road from that river, and i have been able to find out little info on the fishing quality there. It would be mainly brookies? Would the trout in there be a good size? Is the river big enough/slow enough current for a canoe? Looking at the map its big enough i think for sure.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
There are open seasons for stripers just not in certain areas like the Mirmichi. Lots in the St John river between Fredericton and Saint John. The one in my avatar was 45" x 38.5 lbs and caught in Fredericton on a rapala super shad rap. Lots of sturgeons in the Freddy area although they tend to be smaller (30-48")

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are open seasons for stripers just not in certain areas like the Mirmichi. Lots in the St John river between Fredericton and Saint John. The one in my avatar was 45" x 38.5 lbs and caught in Fredericton on a rapala super shad rap. Lots of sturgeons in the Freddy area although they tend to be smaller (30-48")
Thanks for the info casey! I'll definitely keep the striper seasons in mind when we go to make our move. 38 pounds! Nice fish! The area in freddy we are looking at is just outside the city in the Tay creek area. I am really looking forward to catching a Sturgeon, as i have never got one before.(here in ontario they are extremely rare, hence the province wide closed season)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
tay creek can be good for trout. there is some rainbow trout fishing in northen and southern nb, not much for rainbows in freddie area. shark fishing is possible in the bay of fundy but pricey, a lot of people do the extra drive to halifax to fish out of blue shark charters - about the same price as the bay.

as for bow hunting, nb is prime. the season opens sooner and they have reduced the distance for legal bow hunting to just 100yrds. lots of great partridge and woodcock hunting, other small game, along with bear and deer. the largest deer populations are near the bigger cities from central to southern nb.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was more curious about Rainbows than anything as i have caught many many large fish over the years in Ont. (most years i get one over 30" in our area) Ive scanned this site pretty well now and never seen much rainbow mentioned, so it made me wonder if there were any.
Thanks for the info on the sharks...something i will look into for sure. I picked up a few brochures in St Andrews and a few local charters did sharks, but it was quite pricey. There must be guys that go for sharks that are not charters? Is there a sharkhunter NB website i am missing?

Great to hear about the archery hunting. I shoot traditional recurve so my max range is 35 yards. Grouse is what i go for most as they are just so delicious! I am not sure how the license stuff works out....i wonder if i need to go take a NB course, or if my ont lic is still good, figure it out later.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the Ont. bow course counts here, so no problem. you will have to get an N.B. license.
They stoped stocking rainbows here years ago, and are now concidered an invasive species. They can still be found in a number of rivers and lakes, and are actualy expanding above grand falls.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting to read that bows are considered invasive!
So guys....about the icefishing in NB. Ive been reading the icefishing sections and there are a limited amount of posts, is it just because not many guys hit the ice? Would this be due to the pricey ice fishing license and limited lakes you can fish in the winter? Also, do the icefishing lakes rotate, so some years a lake is open and some years its closed?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ahh okay, everybody is too busy fishing!
I suppose i am just used to more active forums for ice fishing.(ice fishing is huge here in Ontario) I'd still expect NB to have much less ice fishing pressure than our area due to the close proximity of fishing to the cities.(less than 2 hour drive from where we fish puts you in Toronto 3 million population)

So as far as rainbows go, do you guys get big ones?(like over 24")

SO far Woodstock area has the most interest for us to move to with outskirts of freddy a close second.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have never caught a rainbow over 14" in nb but wouldnt be surprised if they are out there.Brown trout is a different story though 24" is average in some lakes in this area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweet!! I love brown trout...i dont keep many browns for eating locally, but i love to catch and release them! Ive caught a few big browns over the years out of the Great Lakes, but mostly i fish in small rivers for browns and typically they are 8-14" with a few in the 15-20" range. Very rarely do we see browns over 20" in the stream i fish. Which part of the province are you located abaloneus?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well keep in mind that the entire population of New Brunswick is in the vacinity of 750,000. So the population of Toronto alone is 4 times ours. Also, every winter this site gets much quieter. It will pick up again in the spring as we get closer to regular fishing season. One last factor affecting the use of this site - there were recently a couple of technical issues that kept the site down for a while. I think people are just a little slow coming back.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
our brown trout size averages quite a bit bigger than you have been landing, similar to the best spots in ont., my average last year was about 20-21" but my personal best brown was 34". these are in the saint john area, so a couple hours from where you are looking at, but there is also some brown trout in that area, unfortunately i don`t fish there so i`m not sure what size they come.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts