New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Pickerel love flies, you don't need to do much web searching. They like muddlers, leeches, wolly worms, streamers, bugs. I've got them on just about anything a bass will take. Big difference is what you attach your fly with. I got some "Toothy Critter" line that makes a great leader. Before that I lost countless flies because you won't believe how strong a line the pickerel will bite through.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can only speak for Ontario Pickerel but i would think their New brunswick cousins wouldnt be to far different. Ive noticed that they tend to hug the bottom and will rarely come up to the top unless they are in Shallow water.. I tend to find and agree that your typical bass flies will work but ive had much more success on the weighted ,brighter variations with alot of white , Chartruese , Orange and the likes.Heres one of our flies that was apply named Scottys mcfly! by Bill Spicer of the new fly fisher Show while he was in the area , at the time fishing for Bass but ive done well with the pickerel with it ..and pike!

Thread-1/0 UNI Neon Green
Hook- R74 or other Streamer Size 2,4,6
Wing- White Marabou with a few strands of flash
Tail- also White Marabou with a few strands of flash
underwing- orange Marabou with a few strands of flash
Body- Med Pearl Mylar piping over neon green thread
Head- Copper cone ( size 7/32 for Size 2)
Tips- tye off then Pull mylar back over the cone and Varnish/Epoxy to hold piping together

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
nice fly there flymart.ca , except they are not at all the same spiecies. our chain pickeral are much closer to pike. the fly will still work no doubt however the pickeral don't spend as much time near the bottom, they like to top and middle feed at least as much. seeing one torpedo in to your gear is a ball!
like well hooked mentioned, most flies will do, and dry flies will work just fine, just keep in mind these are very toothy critters, so a heavy floro leader is needed. the long shank of a streamer fly helps a lot too.
try some buck tail creature flies, foamies and big poppers too.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
yup, very different. the good news is chain pickeral are so agressive the fly you offered is still a good choice ( i watch that show a lot too!!)
i have some pink and white bucktail poppers they would love but i'm saving them for stripers.
oh, did i mention pickeral love to kill pink? they will eat the pink tail off of a soft plastic lizard!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts