New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Haven't heard anything lately, but then again I haven't really been talking to any local fisherman or paying attention to local media recently.

I live on the Salsbury Road, a stones throw from the Peddy, and It breaks my heart to look at that brown, slurry muck every day. Such a majestic river ravaged and broken. Hopefully, with time, it will return to its former glory.

I definately plan on hitting the North, Little, and Pollet rivers and any other little tributary I can find in my quest for brookies this season. Will keep posted.

cheers

·
Registered
888 Posts
Remember that the trap does not trap all fish passing through. The nets only cover a portion of the river.
That being said, they only got two trout in the nets last year. Fishermen, though, say the trout fishing has never been better in the past two generations.

One smolt was caught in 2010. It is very odd that the smolt was heading upstream and not down (the trap only catches fish heading upstream,) so it was likely just a lost soul. No salmon were trapped last year. A fisherman caught a nice grilse but it proved to be an escapee from a fish farm, which is alarming to say the least. A tagged salmon's sonar was detected upriver, a very encouraging sign because it was one of the fish released in early 2011 out in the BoF.

Where no stripers have been found in the river for many decades, last year 158 stripers were found, of many age classes.

Tomcod were also extirpated from the river above the causeway, but last year they recorded 1,316. Only one tommy cod was found in 2010.

There used to be tons of shad but they all disappeared too thanks to the illegal causeway. Last year one shad was trapped. Oddly, the time of year it was caught was faaaaar outside it's normal spawning time, so it's a mystery why it was there.

Very few gaspereau or smelt were trapped, but they normally only set up the nets after those two species make their runs.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I too live a stones throw away from the Petty. So disappointing to see this, especially 2 weeks from fishing when if you see a trickle of water anywhere you think where would I make my first cast. So happy to see the snow and ice gone and I have a sled... Hmmm anyway my house is right accross the road from where Turtle Creek flows in and I get a daily dose of Eagle watching, now if that doesn't open a salmon fishermans eyes in a hurry I don't know what would, maybe a neighbor with a fresh hook and release or catch would open them more. Can't wait for that day indeed ( except I'm the lucky fisherman of course ) anyway you can not see much right now but it has changed for sure it has to right? You can't tell me the river DOES NOT CHANGE. Did the river change after the causeway? My family lived and still lives on the bank of this river and they all say finally what a relief.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quick add on about the watershed .... I fish Little - North rivers and Turtle Creek and they all produce parr and nice brookies , sea runs ... anyone care to comment?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know of good spot to teach my kids to trout fish around the moncton area, they are 8,12,16 we started fishing last year and they enjoyed it alot thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
try the little river near salisbury. Usually, I start from the bridge on road 112 and go downstream till I reach the petitcodiac river. Caught some nice brookies last year. There is a little parking under the bridge so you can put your car there!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick add on about the watershed .... I fish Little - North rivers and Turtle Creek and they all produce parr and nice brookies , sea runs ... anyone care to comment?
i fish there when im at my uncles house, i have a secret spot i fish on North River
, any salmon/smolt/parr caught in that river..?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remember that the trap does not trap all fish passing through. The nets only cover a portion of the river.
That being said, they only got two trout in the nets last year. Fishermen, though, say the trout fishing has never been better in the past two generations.

One smolt was caught in 2010. It is very odd that the smolt was heading upstream and not down (the trap only catches fish heading upstream,) so it was likely just a lost soul. No salmon were trapped last year. A fisherman caught a nice grilse but it proved to be an escapee from a fish farm, which is alarming to say the least. A tagged salmon's sonar was detected upriver, a very encouraging sign because it was one of the fish released in early 2011 out in the BoF.
Where no stripers have been found in the river for many decades, last year 158 stripers were found, of many age classes.
Tomcod were also extirpated from the river above the causeway, but last year they recorded 1,316. Only one tommy cod was found in 2010.
There used to be tons of shad but they all disappeared too thanks to the illegal causeway. Last year one shad was trapped. Oddly, the time of year it was caught was faaaaar outside it's normal spawning time, so it's a mystery why it was there.
Very few gaspereau or smelt were trapped, but they normally only set up the nets after those two species make their runs.
Hope this helps.
where about were the stripers caught...?? and same with the grilse..??

thanks

·
Registered
888 Posts
I don't know where the grilse was caught. The guy who caught it wouldn't say. I know the guy and he won't even tell ME.

The stripers were caught in the scientists' nets near the RR bridge at Salisbury, as were all of the fish mentioned above (except the grilse.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sea run troutskies and parr no salmon for me but I would not say no to salmon being present. I think it was last year the north was very productive. Tons of brookies around petty .

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've been fishing these rivers since you could still keep a salmon from the peti , and i can report that since the gates have been opened the trout fishing has been nothing short of amazing for myself. I know of a grisle being caught , i suspect it was a released one and like mentioned before I would not mention as to where because even if most of us would not think of targeting salmon there are plenty who would. I never had the chance to get out much last year but i hope to find a continued improvment. If you have the chance to canoe down from peti to sals I would highly recomend doing so and bring your camera.

·
Registered
888 Posts
That grilse was confirmed via scale analysis by DFO scientists as being an escapee from a salmon farm.
Hope you have a great season RW! The more eyes on the water, the better.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This wasn't last year but 2 years ago and I'd bet my 1st born it was more then likely not reported and if i hadn't have been wearing something that looked like a warden jacket, it wouldn't have been returned into the river. None the less it was a good sign.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gettin so antsy. Took a litte drive yesterday along the 112 to the bridge over the Little, then along Mollins road to the bridge on the 895. I'm not real familiar with the waters, but the water looked really low to me. We didn't have alot of snow this winter and not much rain so far, but man it looks pretty low. Looks like a riffily river with some runs, but no real big pools or undercut banks with overhanging cover. Will have to explore more up along the 895.

I went up the Pacific Junction road to have a peak at the North river, but turned around when I came across a messy spot. There is still some snow in the brush and the road started to get a little soupy. Didnt feel like proceeding in my ford taurus lol. Man I need a truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You were a wise man to turn around at that spot. It's been swalling Tauruses, including my own, since about 1979.
Ya I was hoping it would be a little more solid since we haven't had much rain. I was up there last fall just after the season closed, and admired the little pool under the bridge and the brush as the river kept flowing downward. Itchin to throw on the waders and wander on through.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think its Dixon bridge, if you walk from there down to the coverdale road you will find some nice deep pools. I'd suggest using a kayak or inertube, canoe will do it but if low water there is no room for extra people or maybe a small child. The water is very deceiving to in spots doesn't look deep till your up to your neck. The walk is pretty much an all day thing pack a lunch and bring a flash light. cause you'll find plenty of spots to slow you down:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts