New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to an Outfitter in Fredericton to pick up a 5 WFF line and salesperson suggested that I overline with 6WFF. The line was on sale for $50.00 and I thought why not. When I got home I found out that The Sharkskin line I picked up was actually already 1/2 line weight over already. Anybody have any experience pairing a St Croix Imperial 9 ft 5 wt rod with 6 WFF Sharkskin line? Should I put it on my old 7 wt Fenwick instead?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think you will find that by putting it on the 9' 5WT that you will be able to cast further. Some would argue, however, that with the extra weight on the rod you might cause extra strain in which you risk breaking the tip of the rod on the cast. I personally have never experienced this, though.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'd have to agree with Atoqwa'su on the distance thing. And also on the improbability of hurting the rod. One additional bonus: you might find you can more effectively cast larger/heavier flies with the 5wt when overlined. On the other hand, you can also put it on your 7 wt. for a more delicate presentation.

One other consideration: there are a lot of rods out there that are mis-rated. I calibrated all my rods a couple winters ago (hey, its a long time til spring), and only two were exactly as marked. None were WAY off, but I have an old fenwick fiberglass 6' rod factory rated as a 5 that came out as a 3.5, and an 8'5' fenwick glass rod rated as a 6 that came out as a solid 7. (St. Croix imperial was pretty much bang on).

brent

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input! I thought @*&% it! I went back and exchanged the #6 and paid the difference for the #5 Sharkwave. I found some #6 Orvis line and threw it on the St Croix and it felt like I had a boot at the end of the line. It felt similar On my TFO and Martin. It is a long time until spring...isn't it? I just recently mailed one of my Orvis' off for adjustment of tolerances and feel somewhat funny about my sneaking around my back deck casting various lines, swapping out different reels etc in a stealthy manner avoiding the watchful eye of my neighbors...this usually happens after a few drinks...oh well if my neighbors see me...I may as well be drunk too! (just kidding). :ph34r:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd have to agree with Atoqwa'su on the distance thing. And also on the improbability of hurting the rod. One additional bonus: you might find you can more effectively cast larger/heavier flies with the 5wt when overlined. On the other hand, you can also put it on your 7 wt. for a more delicate presentation.

One other consideration: there are a lot of rods out there that are mis-rated. have an old fenwick fiberglass 6' roI calibrated all my rods a couple winters ago (hey, its a long time til spring), and only two were exactly as marked. None were WAY off, but I d factory rated as a 5 that came out as a 3.5, and an 8'5' fenwick glass rod rated as a 6 that came out as a solid 7. (St. Croix imperial was pretty much bang on).

brent
Sorry about getting a little sidetracked in my post...

I have an 8.6 Fenwick HMG #7 and an old glass St Croix 9100 #8. Would you have any experience with either of these rods? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Stroover:

Start here: www.common-cents.info

If you have a decently accurate scales (like, say, if you were a drug dealer or a reloader) you can just go by the mass rather than collecting a bunch of older US pennies.

Bud: Hey, if your neighbours already know you're a fly fisherman, they probably are pre-conditioned to expect irrational behaviours from you. Besides, they're probably golfers and are in no position to judge. :wacko:

Check out chicken fishing on www.conknet.com

Not real familiar with those specific rods, but I've built a couple of rods on fenwick HMG blanks, and they were perfectly satisfactory in the context of my limited abilities. One broke (a 7' 4 piece #4) while I was playing a largish bass, but that was due to my own bumbling.

Does your St Croix 9100 by any chance have the words 'double power' on it somewhere? If so, its probably one of their old urethane filled rods, which makes them kind of heavy.

Hopefully others here will have more useful insights for you.

brent

1 - 7 of 7 Posts