New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

online fly material

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  jcampbell 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone out there buys fly tying materials online?

#4 ·
Drunktoad

I would say the majority of sites are reliable, since they want to have your repeat business. Many offer money back returns if you're not satisfied, and most offer quick service and good selection. Prices can vary considerably between vendors for the same items, so it pays to search out your own sources and selections.

Simply doing a Google search for "discount hooks" or "Fly tying thread" for example will give you many hits to search out on these two items.

If buying online I would suggest you get a PayPal account ,just as a precaution. Many online vendors offer Paypal as a means of payment. In case you don't know what PayPal is; it is a middleman between buyer and seller. You pay PayPal and they pay the seller. That way, the venfdor doesn't get access to your credit card numbers and perhaps other credit information.

I would also suggest that you join a fly tyers website such as Fly Tyers Forum. They have Beginners and Fly Tying Bench bulletin boards where individuals ask for advice and pose problems which other members help them with advice and suggestions, as well as exchanging information. Fly tying Materials, sources and suppliers are frequently discussed. THese will often give you links to suppliers and you can do your own searches.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Drunktoad

I would say the majority of sites are reliable, since they want to have your repeat business. Many offer money back returns if you're not satisfied, and most offer quick service and good selection. Prices can vary considerably between vendors for the same items, so it pays to search out your own sources and selections.

Simply doing a Google search for "discount hooks" or "Fly tying thread" for example will give you many hits to search out on these two items.

If buying online I would suggest you get a PayPal account ,just as a precaution. Many online vendors offer Paypal as a means of payment. In case you don't know what PayPal is; it is a middleman between buyer and seller. You pay PayPal and they pay the seller. That way, the venfdor doesn't get access to your credit card numbers and perhaps other credit information.

I would also suggest that you join a fly tyers website such as Fly Tyers Forum. They have Beginners and Fly Tying Bench bulletin boards where individuals ask for advice and pose problems which other members help them with advice and suggestions, as well as exchanging information. Fly tying Materials, sources and suppliers are frequently discussed. THese will often give you links to suppliers and you can do your own searches.
What is the direct link/URL for Fly Tyers Forum?

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I buy alot of thread, floss and tinsel stuff like that online but being a commercial tyer prefer to pick out capes and hair myself to select the best quality I can get ....or.... from a reputable shop like Bryant's or Doaks where know the folks and know they will send me the best they have....remember folks the best quality material you can afford will dramatically improve your finished flies

#11 ·
Sorry to resurrect this topic but there are many good sites online for buying material and a nice bunch of them have been listed.

For Hooks and beads try

http://www.canadianllama.com/
Kent sells beads both brass and tungsten beads in every color you can imagine. When I was talking to him last about an order he was doing up beads for Umpqua. $4.50 for a hundred brass beads can't be beat. He also sells 80 styles of Dai-ichi hooks from lowly trout hooks right up to X-Point hooks and everything in between.
100 wet nymph hooks around $12.50
100 salmon spey hooks range from $34 - $39

For discount hooks try

http://www.allenflyfishing.com/pages/products
He has a deal on hooks if you spend $20 on hooks you get a free fly box right up to $60 of hooks will get you three boxes. I found some of the hooks to be different shaped to what I ordered but for the most part they are great and the free fly boxes are also pretty decent considering Cabela's Charges 16 dollars for them. One of my boxes the glue let go but I just had to re-glue it and it was fine.

For materials try

http://www.bearsden.com/
http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/

Dealt with both of these store from the US and had good service and got some good materials. Just takes a little while shipping from the US and you might get dinged duty charges at the post office.

For Canadian Made Fly Rods

http://pierowayrods.com/PRBlog/

They are stationed out of Calgary and the owner is from Nfld. Never tried one of their rods let alone seen one but I think my next rod may be one of those. Have heard alot of good things about their rods.

The other places I deal with have been mentioned. Be careful with some places they may have good prices but charge you an arm and leg for shipping.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
I would also reccomend a quick google search of any particular business that tickeles your fancy to see if they offer any online coupon codes. Most of them do (at least all the ones I shoped online with). Then, it's just a matter of typing that coupon code in the coupon code box, and save x% on your purchase. Easy as pie!

And Madaboutfishing, I buy some materials at the dollar store, yes. That's where I buy the 8 1/2" x 11" foam sheets whith which I tie my miracle oranges. I also buy feathers there from various objects (i.e.-poofie scarfs) for tails for my bass poppers. I also buy dolls eyes there for my poppers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.