New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I currently live in Ontario and my wife and i are planning to move to NB. Ive been scouring the forums to find out as much as i can about the fishing before we move. One thing i noticed is the lack of posts on ice fishing. Do many of you guys just not want to pay the $22 ice fishing license fees considering the small amount of lakes you can ice fish on? How is the action on the ice for perch, pickeral, brookies and lakers?
My buddy and i went out in our area for lake trout on friday, we got 8 fish between 18-25" in 6 hours...not a bad day! Kept 4 for eating.(2 fish each is the limit on this particular lake)
Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Never ice fished as I don't live close to a ice fishing lake but was looking at trying it this year. I think your not seeing a lot of posts about it because the last few years have not had good ice conditions in southern NB and this year is the same, late freeze up and looks like probably early ice out. Gotta love global warming

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are having the same ice conditions around here. Used to get on the average 20-36" by the end of the season but this year it has been raining every 4 days so we have 8-14"...many of our usual fishing spots we wont even go to due to unsafe ice. We ice fish a lot around here....try to get out 2-3 times a week at least most of the season from late december to mid march.

·
Registered
438 Posts
We`ve got lotsd of ice now although it was off to a slow start, we had a really warm november and december which meant later safe ice in a lot of places we are driving on it now most places ive fished have had from 16-24 inches, the biggest problem with this province is lack of places to fish, there only a handful of lakes in the same area Grand lake watershed that you don`t need a license, or tidal water for smelt, the other few lakes that are open do require a license and to most people arent worth the 22$ permit to fish, im lucky enough to live on teh Grand lake system so i can get great pickerel, perch burbot and a few others iether a 2 minute walk or 10 minute drive away, i will make the occasional 1-2hr drive to fish smelt for a few days on tidal water but never bother to buy the permit, drive a long ways and fish all day to maybe catch one trout, or fish pickerel in a lake i have to have a permit when i i can fish at home for free..now in the open water season on the other hand we`ve got it made, fish everyday of teh week and never fish the same waterway or for the same species

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i`ve been ice fishing all over the place this year and for different fish. most of where i fish is tidal (i`m in Saint John) but i picked up the provincial license recently to for some trout fishing and pickerel closer to home. for myself, smelt fishing is prime - those tastey little fish are right up there on my best eating list. the tidal waters of nb have some great smelt fishing! most of the best pickerel fishing is, as he mentions, in pond jumpers area around grand lake, and it has a number of other species there too, which is close to fredericton. for most of the other species, other than brookies, the lakes along the border, including east long lake are very popular and have a number of species including land loch atlantic salmon. there are also a few lakes with brookies available here, like fisher lakes here in saint john.
the ice fishing here is very different from ont, with most of the activity on tidal waters and the frozen ocean shore. ice fishing villages spring up everywhere there is easy access to the water. the province is starting to support ice fishing again by stocking - thanks !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts