New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am 12 years old i took up fly fishing last year and i have a cottage in cassie cape with a kayak and i was wondering what kind of fly patterns i should be using and what species of their are in the northumberland strait.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
salmon and sea run brook trout would be the main sport fish. mackerel would be an available fish that would be great on a fly rod. streamer fliers would work for all 3 of these- think reds, pinks, light greens and blues in the flies, like the various smelt patterns. think a little flashy, salt water fish are more colorful than fresh water fish, including the bait fish. these patterns should also work for species like polluck, but also look into a bit smaller flies for shad and gasperaux/blue back herring. speaking of herring, a plan black hook would work for them on the fly rod.

i`m sure there are a ton of other species and flies to catch them but other than one species we are not allowed to target, that`s all i know the flies for. hopefully some others will let you know about some more. Flyakfisher?
one trick i picked up last year was to add a ball of power bait to a black or white fly - this is only allowed in non fly fish only waters but the strait counts for that. this isn`t legal to use to keep salmon, but is great for some of the odd species like gasperaux.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Cassie Cape, eh? I've never fished in that area, but I'm guessing you'd have to paddle about a good km or two to hit about 25 feet of water before you'll hit any mackerel there. If you can find yourself some Clouser Minnows with a green back and white belly, and with the dumbell eyes, that will resemble a caplin (spelling?), which is what they eat. You'd also need sinking line, to get it down there a good ten feet. Other than mackerel, I don't think you'll catch anything else there with a flyrod. If you want to try with a spinning rod, then there are many more opportunities while you fish the bottom. And if you're GONNA fish with a fly rod, make SURE you're using salt water gear, or that will be the last season you use it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think the mackerel are closer then you would think, especially in August and early September. Really only need 10 or so feet of water. Look for points and structure like outer sand bars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts