New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
I like the idea of using a loop at the fly for more life-like presentations but other loops I've tried have either tightened up on the eyelet while fishing or broke off
. This one looks like a winner and pretty easy to tie. I'm going to give it a go for next season.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I learned the Duncan Loop back in the spring.. used it all season long, hooked a lot of fish using it, even some big salmon.. also landed some.. at no time did the Duncan loop ever fail or slide up to the eye of the hook and it's super duper easy to tie. Like any loop or knot, you need to wet it a little bit before cinching it up tight. If not the heat created when pulling it tight will cause the line to be brittle and premature failure. The other thing is that if you don't pull it tight enough, it will slip or fail aswell. The guy in the video ties it left handed by putting the hook in his right hand. I put the hook in my left hand vs the right and i have the barbed hook facing towards the inward part of my hand feeding the line from the bottom of the fly eye out the top of the fly eye and building the loop from there. Just looking at your vid and the one I posted, the Duncan loop looks like it has a smaller knot. I'm sure they're both good knot/loops, I don't have any complaints about the Duncan loop.

http://videofishingk...ncans-loop.html

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chadman, I think I must be getting the Duncan loop wrong somehow because I had poor luck with it. Thanks for the video I'll practice it this winter and perfect one or the other for next season.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts