New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm very new to fly fishing and this forum. I've had some good luck fishing in the Nashwaak at random spots below the Nashwaak bridge but since last week (Aug 25) nothing and with my limited knowledge I'm trying to figure out the possible reasons, other than my less than ideal fishing technique :) .

My main hypothesis is water temperature, as levels are normal to low and we've had really hot weather last week. I have yet to get a thermometer to get accurate readings but reaching in the river the water feels refreshing but not cold for sure.

I'd like to hear from seasoned anglers what is their take on trout in the Nashwaak at this point in the season with the conditions we've had and whether decent fishing should be expected.

Thanks a bunch!!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have no recent experience with the Nashwaak (at least re. fishing it) but yes, we've had a VERY warm summer and water is very warm and de-oxygenated. Not favourable for trout feeding or fishing at all. At this point, I would think you'd need to find cool springs and/or feeder streams to find feeding trout, or hit them at first light when the water is cooler. Certainly the nights are now longer and cooler, and the temps will be starting to drop so things may pick up.

Since you likely want to keep fly fishing, and you're already fishing the Nashwaak, you might consider working the river south of the Marysville Bridge toward the Saint John and focusing on smallmouth bass. They LOVE the warmer water, will take some trout flies (muddlers, buck bugs, wooly buggers, streamers), feed all day, behave like trout in moving water in terms of where they'll lay, and most importantly, are very entertaining on a fly rod. A 12" bass will fight like a 15" brookie, with the added thrill of going airborne like a salmon.

Just my opinion, of course.

brent

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Brent for the response. I'm just trying to gauge whether it is my technique or the conditions that are unfavorable given my short experience (only about 3 weeks :) ). Last Sunday I did get a 16'' brookie and 13'' rainbow in the Nashwaak within about 1hr.

Now you definitely pique my interest regarding bass. I know what I'm trying next :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
There aren't as many around this time of year either, most trout have moved up to spawn. I've had a very slow year as far as trout go on the Nashwaak myself.

Have got a brown before but not a rainbow yet. I have heard they are there though.

Personally, I would say after we got that rain, and the water started cooling more with the colder days/nights, those fish that were hanging around have moved on. I fished it a couple days ago and didn't see anything.
Unfortunately when it gets to this point in the year with the water conditions and less fish, it can be really hard to get into them.
Switch to salmon fishing somewhere else and you will have an awesome time though

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just got home a week ago and went to some brooks and it was bone dry. Then day before yesterday we had the flood so I went out today and caught (3-4) really small ones (maybe 4-6 inches.) which I let go. I'm guessing they were the survivors. I went to 4 spots today. ugh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts