New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not many people seem to be fishing in Fisher Lake, Rock Wood Park this winter, the Province stocked it with 2000 brook trout in October especially for icefishing. I have been out a few times and got 5 between 10 and 12 inches within and hour. Best bait seems to be prawn but orange power bait and worms work well too.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i didn`t know they had stocked it. good for them, it makes it worth while to get the provincial license for it. thanks for the heads up Hampton Fisher

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey guys just wondering about how safe the ice is at Hanson stream res. couldnt help butt notice the sign about thin ice but seen some people heading down there snow shoeing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem,

I don't want to be lonly on the Lake, the province won't keep stocking it for ice fishing if they arnt getting used. Lily lake is usually stocked every year too but isnt open to ice fishing. Don't for get your licences the Wardens are there allot.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
there were at least 4 of us fishing on fisher lakes today. i arrived late, and after talking to the guys i started augering holes. one of my tip ups went off while i was still working on them, but i missed that one. dropped the next line down and immediately caught a tastey 10`". then i thought it would be a good idea to check my baits. as it turned out, all but one were striped, and i was just rebaiting when the wardens arrived to check things out. they were checking the length o the trout, etc. a friendly couple of guys. they were saying the fishers were doing well on the trout ice fishing this year, which was nice to hear. i landed 2 more, never did set up my shack, and called it a day. so it was pickerel for supper tonight, brookies for breakfast tomorrow. yum yum!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the bite has really slowed down at fisher lakes. saturday with a handfull of fishers, only one trout was landed. we did get to watch a coyote sneak across the ice at sundown. don`t forget, they lock the gate at 6pm, so park outside the gate for the dusk bite.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Both lakes that I ice fish for pickerel always slow down in March. Went from an average of 30 pickerel a day to 3. No shortage of perch. I noticed the trout in Fisher Lakes bit extremely light and even when using micro ice jigs, it was tough to get them hooked at times. I never saw the wardens anywhere this season and was out at least a dozen times.

Made a few casts in some open water today and should have the boat out in a couple weeks if the weather keeps improving. Water conditions in the river are going to be great. The water levels are no more than 2 feet higher than summer.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i`m actualy finding the water levels are at summer low right now in the rivers. it was the opposite for me and the wardens, they were there more than half the time when i was ice fishing for trout, which is fine by me.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'd like to take my son ice fishing fisher lakes this year , any suggestions on bait for there?

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
A co-worker of mine fishes it, and they use basically the same set-up we do for smelt. They use shrimp for bait or prawn.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Here's another question , just say I take my kids ice fishing , i drill the holes get them set up ect and let them fish , would I be required to have a lisence ? My kids Are 6 and 4

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's a good question A2F i have always wondered the same. I would think it would be ok but not sure.Another question i have is are you allowed to fish open water with the ice fishing license in the designated areas.

·
Registered
540 Posts
What Jim said is accurate... that being said. A man made hole can be made by many things... if you have open water out from shore and there is ice around the edges then a man made hole can be made by using a canoe or boat to break through the ice.. It would be worth a call to verify but I don't think you are limited to fishing on shore in case there is no ice during an winter fishery...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts