New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am living in NB since August last year and to be precise near Kelly Creek and the Mactaquac headpond.

Now I was hoping that some of you might give me some tips for good fishing spots. I'd like to catch all kinds of fish, but I don't own a boat. So if you got some tips for me, that would be great!

Thanx.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I live just up the road in prince william. The culverts where kelly creek dumps into the headpond is a good spot for smallies and pickeral and sometimes even trout. If you head towards the hanwell you will see a side road called the sears road you can get to the actuall creek part of kelly creek. Go in as far as the bridge and park beside my scale house and walk down stream from there you should pick up some trout between there and the Mountian rd. Good luck.....Laurie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live just up the road in prince william. The culverts where kelly creek dumps into the headpond is a good spot for smallies and pickeral and sometimes even trout. If you head towards the hanwell you will see a side road called the sears road you can get to the actuall creek part of kelly creek. Go in as far as the bridge and park beside my scale house and walk down stream from there you should pick up some trout between there and the Mountian rd. Good luck.....Laurie
Hey thanks, I will do that! Can't wait to catch my first NB fish!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i go fishing up the head pond area all the time...go down the road by the esso and stop at the first guard rail the only place to park is past the rails but there is a little brook and we where catching brookies there last summer 12"+( red/white spiner and a small slug)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Laurie,

Took a look over there yesterday night. Upstream from that bridge the water goes nice and slow. Is that a good spot? Although I think it's on someone's property who maybe doesn't want someone to fish there. And isn't that the whole Kelly creek stream part?

Across from that scale bridge there is an old quarry. I take it there is no fish in that water there?

·
Registered
102 Posts
The best fishing is down stream from there as there is a set of falls just down stream a bit if you go up stream that is our camp but there are not many fish up that way we used to have trout in the pond but the otters cleaned them out. If you go down to the mountian road and come up the brook you will find some nice pools. In about 2 weeks the white perch should be at the mouth of kelly creek where it runs into kelly creek basin right by the mountain rd you can have alot of fun there with nothing more than a red devil, they are a blast

·
Registered
8 Posts
The best fishing is down stream from there as there is a set of falls just down stream a bit if you go up stream that is our camp but there are not many fish up that way we used to have trout in the pond but the otters cleaned them out. If you go down to the mountian road and come up the brook you will find some nice pools. In about 2 weeks the white perch should be at the mouth of kelly creek where it runs into kelly creek basin right by the mountain rd you can have alot of fun there with nothing more than a red devil, they are a blast
Cool! I live very close to that mouth.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
When I used to live in F'ton back in the late 80's, I used to fish smallies where Kelly's Creek dumps into the Saint John river (where Laurie D. said) and would catch nice smallies there. Also, go up the mountain (Mazeroll settlement, I think it was called, not far from there) and when you go down again the other side, there's water there. Nice smallies in there as well.
We'd also fish along the shore leading up to the Mactaquac dam (up-river side) for smallies. Another good spot was the Nashwaak river around where it dumps into the Saint John, but I'm not sure if we can still fish there now or what. There's a street not far after the Fort Naashwaak motel that is now a dead end leading up to the Nashwaak river, and at the end of that street is the remnants of what used to be a bridge. We used to catch nice smallies and BIG chain pickerel there. If you can still fish the Nashwaak, go upriver a ways and it gets pretty shallow (knee deep or less). We used to get decent smallies out of there, right in the rapids. Imagine that!

Now, if you're after trout, from the Mactaquat dam on the north side of the river, start driving downriver on that road that follows the river. At some point, the road veers away from the river, then you get to a little bridge and there's some kind of brook there. That used to be a hot spot of mine for brook trout. Another good spot was on the way to Minto at a place called Noonan, there's a little body of water there. I used to always catch brookies out of there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts