New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is William and I would like to say hello as I have just found this forum a few days ago. I am from the US and have been a NB angler for 30 years. I find many of your posts reminding me of some great times with my brother. I have a blog that gives me a great deal of enjoyment with a number of stories about your rivers. I am an avid fly tier and hope to catch up on some patterns that are being mentioned here.

Great forum and I hope I can contribute.

Always the very best,

William

The Restigouche below Toms Brook

·
Registered
110 Posts
Welcome William. Enjoy your stay. What is the address of your blog?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you believe the "Davy knot" is strong and good enough for Altlantic salmon to attach the fly?
Dave-Thank you very much...

Gdog,

I do not use the Davy knot for Salmon. The reason is that the shank of the hook is too big to get a good grip when using 8 pound test. It seems to work fine when the tippet is 10 or 12 pounds but then I don't find it necessary. When you will use very small flies down to 12 and 14 it will work very well.

Give it a try for trout when using 5X on size 14 and 16 hooks and you will be very surprised at how strong it is. You must use a double surgeon knot when attaching your tippet to leader so the strength of both knot at fly and leader are 100% I don't use any other knot these days.

William

1 - 8 of 8 Posts