New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am new to the area (moncton). I just moved here from ontario and would love to get some ice fishing in. Would like to try fishing for smelt as I have never done that through the ice before.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some leads on areas to go to (hopefully within an hour of moncton if possible) and maybe even if anyone knows about any hut rentals that might possibly be out there.
Any great leads or info would be greatly appreciated, no matter how minor!

Thanks and good luck to all!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Take a drive up to Shediac and the Pointe du chene wharf. There are smelt shacks in this area and if you look across the bay u can see shacks on the other side (shediac cape). Dont know of any for rent. people just take their auger and gear and sit on a bucket or whatever to fish. I used to put my shack at Shediac Cape but its just too crappy this year for me. Waiting for the soft water !!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take a drive up to Shediac and the Pointe du chene wharf. There are smelt shacks in this area and if you look across the bay u can see shacks on the other side (shediac cape). Dont know of any for rent. people just take their auger and gear and sit on a bucket or whatever to fish. I used to put my shack at Shediac Cape but its just too crappy this year for me. Waiting for the soft water !!!!
Thanks, casey for your reply! I will take a drive there and see what I can come up with. Unfortunately when I moved here I left all my gear with my brother in ontario, so that is why I am kinda lookin for a hut rental... something where most of the gear is provided, that and I am planning on taking a new ice fisher with me, so I want to try and make the experience as enjoyable for them as possible...lol
I am more than o.k with the bucket on the ice myself...
Thanks again for the response.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hey Gibby1 welcome to the site , you will find everyone on here very helpfull and very friendly, you shouldnt have to much of a problem with any help..
Im not to sure about the moncton area but people are going through the ice down here in Saint John , I heard of 2 sleds and 2 wheelers go through in the past week . Like Casey , i didnt put my shack out at all this year its just not worth it..

Add the unsafe ice conditions and the 12 inchs of snow and slush on the ice Id wait until next year to take a newbe out lol
Especially if there young.. A bad experience , Wet , cold, hard to walk on , and a day were the fish are not running can put a black mark on youngsters..

Goodluck
Jay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Gibby1 welcome to the site , you will find everyone on here very helpfull and very friendly, you shouldnt have to much of a problem with any help..
Im not to sure about the moncton area but people are going through the ice down here in Saint John , I heard of 2 sleds and 2 wheelers go through in the past week . Like Casey , i didnt put my shack out at all this year its just not worth it..

Add the unsafe ice conditions and the 12 inchs of snow and slush on the ice Id wait until next year to take a newbe out lol
Especially if there young.. A bad experience , Wet , cold, hard to walk on , and a day were the fish are not running can put a black mark on youngsters..

Goodluck
Jay
Thanks Jay for the heads up on the ice conditions in Saint John, I was driving around by cap pele the other day... actually it was barachois, i think it was called (forgive me as I am new to the area) I did see some huts out, right by the bridge i drove over, but no-one was around to talk too.
Although there appeared to be some fresh track in the snow?

I have been told about a place in port elgin... maybe it was a river there? I was wondering about the ice conditions there?

Yeah I hear ya about the first time for ice fishing... it can be a makeor break deal, depending on how it goes, for someone first time..lol

I guess luckily for me when I was a kid the worst thing about ice fishing was not being able to sit long enough to enjoy a nice sandwich that dad had made for me.... too busy running to the tip-ups...lol
The good ol' days when the fishing was much better in Ontario than what it is now!

Thanks again for the info and the welcome to the site
Cheer's and stay safe,

Chris.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts