New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to Fredericton, moved here a few years ago for school and now that I have brought my fishing gear up with me I need the help to locate some public fishing areas. I fish both spin rod and fly fishing but I am fairly new to the fly fishing community. Any advice one may have of spots along the nashwaak that are legal to fly fish or any good places to use my spin rod would be greatly appreciated since I currently do all my fly fishing in Doaktown but the drive is to long for a quick fish after work. Also any tips on lures and flies that seem to work in these places would be a ton of help. Thanks again for any information you can give me.

Cheers

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi,

I am new to Fredericton, moved here a few years ago for school and now that I have brought my fishing gear up with me I need the help to locate some public fishing areas. I fish both spin rod and fly fishing but I am fairly new to the fly fishing community. Any advice one may have of spots along the nashwaak that are legal to fly fish or any good places to use my spin rod would be greatly appreciated since I currently do all my fly fishing in Doaktown but the drive is to long for a quick fish after work. Also any tips on lures and flies that seem to work in these places would be a ton of help. Thanks again for any information you can give me.

Cheers
Hi Burke

Fredericton is great for fishing (in fact I just did a blog post about it here).

The mouth of the Nashwaak can get you into smallies, stripers & bass. It's public water throughout the Nashwaak, though after July 1st, it's fly fishing only from the Marysville Bridge & up. Note there is no season on salmon, you can't target them & must release them immediately if you hook into them. There is a closed section near the Rte 107 bridge on the Nashwaak, however.

On the Saint John, you can fish from shore just about anywhere; though I would recommend just down from the mouth of the Nashwaak, as well as by the boat club on Lincoln Road, and by the train bridge. If you have a boat, have at 'er just about anywhere; there's no telling what you might hook into (bass, striper, muskie, sturgeon).

Stop into Fredericton Outfitters on Canada Street & we can set you up with any other info + hot flies/lures/etc.

Have fun!!

ww

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wannabe pretty much covered it as far as shore fishing goes...many other great spots too but thats a great start. Honestly Freddy has some excellent fishing and u dont have to travel far. Within a 30 min drive from downtown you can hit some great fishing spots and really no need to travel much farther.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both very much. I will have to try out some of these spots and let you know how it goes. Any tips on what flies seem to be working on the Nashwaak?

·
Registered
79 Posts
For smallies at the bottom part of the Nashwaak, I've been using a solid black Clouser with chartreuse flash on a #8 streamer hook. For trout upriver, it's been hit or miss. Headgear nymphs some days, stimulators & elk hair caddis on others.

ww

·
Registered
8 Posts
Like it's been said, bass can be found pretty much anywhere in the Fredericton area. I like fishing the mouth of the Nashwaak and the mouth of the Pokiok stream up in Nakawic. Depending on how far you're willing to travel, there are tons of spots to fish around here. I find that some of the places in town are way too crowded some days.

If you're ever looking for someone to show you around, let me know. I'm usually up for fishing pretty much any night of the week.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts