New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day gentlemen. My name is Billy. I have fished my entire life, but just took up fly fishing last year. I am completely self-taught, so I know I have a lot to learn. My best friend of over 20 years has now joined me in this awesome sport. We really want to try our hand at atlantic salmon. We are hoping that someone might take pity on us and take us on a trip with them. We have no idea where we can fish without having to go through some expensive lodge or hire a guide. We both are on limited incomes which make this pretty much impossible to do.
I have tried researching on the internet, but can find nothing of help.

Any "positive" advice, or an invitation to join you on a day trip would be extremely appreciated. We are looking at July 6 - 8th. These dates are not set in stone.He lives in Fredericton, and I am in Moncton. Feel free to send me an email.

Thanks for any and all feedback.
Billy

·
Registered
298 Posts
Good day gentlemen. My name is Billy. I have fished my entire life, but just took up fly fishing last year. I am completely self-taught, so I know I have a lot to learn. My best friend of over 20 years has now joined me in this awesome sport. We really want to try our hand at atlantic salmon. We are hoping that someone might take pity on us and take us on a trip with them. We have no idea where we can fish without having to go through some expensive lodge or hire a guide. We both are on limited incomes which make this pretty much impossible to do.
I have tried researching on the internet, but can find nothing of help.

Any "positive" advice, or an invitation to join you on a day trip would be extremely appreciated. We are looking at July 6 - 8th. These dates are not set in stone.He lives in Fredericton, and I am in Moncton. Feel free to send me an email.

Thanks for any and all feedback.
Billy
Hi Bill, if your new to flyfishing and want to try for the atlantic salmon be prepared, 1st thing 1st if you have any other passions that co exists with mid june to mid oct. be prepared to give that up. If you have a partner that isn't into fishing and has to ask why you spend so much time and $$ doing it .. either convince that person to join in or be prepared to divorce or seperate ! Having made my little joke, I will tell you up front it's hard to get ppl. to take you or tell you where to fish, best info i can give you I will lay out here and with a little work you will be on your way.
1. go invest in some map books ( atlas of NB , back roads of NB you can get that in most irving stations).
2. talk to ppl. and ask questions they might not tell ya exact places but most will say the area they fish ( Nor west. south west, dungarven, cains, restigouche, sevogle to name some rivers ) I must say though the retigouche is a write off 95% is privatley owned makes it hard for a person not familar with the area.
3.next is read and suscribe to fishing reports ( wilsons lodge, doug underhill, rodney coldford and oxbow )
4. go to www.manzer.net/fish/index.html this is by far one of the best resources to head you in the right direction !!
5. don't worry about getting in trouble for fishing private land most private land will be well posted if not blocked for access!use your maps to find un posted or blocked roadways.

I hope this helps but if ya really wanna get out and do some fishing to get ya started head to Quarryville it's one of the most popular public salmon pools ( I will warn ya learn pool ettiquite before going ) alot of ppl. fish there and you will be better off just jumping in and knowing what to expect.

Anything else I can help you with feel free to PM if you rather not ask on an open fourm. Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your post. I do have the map books you spoke of. My fav being the backroads atlas that is sold at the gas stations.

My girl is also into fishing, just not as much as me. But she "allows" me to pursue my passion. God love that woman.

I am very careful about fishing on peoples property. I always ask permission from the owner before going on their land, but if cant find out the owner, I simply stay off.

After reading alot of posts on this site, I know people wont share their "honey holes", but at least you gave a few names of rivers. Which is all I was asking for. Personally, I do tell a few select people my spots.

Thanks for the info on the manzer website and those fishing reports. I didnt know about those. But where do I learn pool ettiquite?

Thank you Zamboni-guy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The color River Map that you can purchase at the Atlantic Salmon Museum in Doaktown was a big help when I started. It clearly identified the public and private pool, so you know where you can fish. That and google maps will get you pretty far, but you have to get out and spend time on the water to find a few pools you like to fish. Also, I would look into booking one of the crown reserves. Great water at the right time of year, you should be sure to see some action.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Billy,

One thing that you may look into is hiring a guide between the two of you. Ask them to show you some of the crown open water instead of the private pools and bring a notepad to write down the names and directions to get there.

It can be expensive to stay with an outfitter and fish their private pools, but some guides aren't affiliated with an outfitter or have a day off. Ask at the flyshops for some names, I know Rodney Colford up in Howard will do this but not sure who else.

Let them know you want the no frills deal, the cost should be around $150-200 total for both of you for the day.
Come early, pack a lunch, and ask them every question you can think of, these guide are an awesome resource.

H

·
Registered
100 Posts
The color River Map that you can purchase at the Atlantic Salmon Museum in Doaktown was a big help when I started. It clearly identified the public and private pool, so you know where you can fish. That and google maps will get you pretty far, but you have to get out and spend time on the water to find a few pools you like to fish. Also, I would look into booking one of the crown reserves. Great water at the right time of year, you should be sure to see some action.
I've been thinking of buying the color River Map for years now, but just never go to it. Can you tell me what tributaries or sections of the Miramichi river is represented in this book?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been thinking of buying the color River Map for years now, but just never go to it. Can you tell me what tributaries or sections of the Miramichi river is represented in this book?

Thanks,
Paul
Man, I'm also new to salmon fishing & I searched the net for a book like this with no luck, I MUST get one!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
169 Posts
here this will help on the MSW. Its the book the guys have been referring too. The pools marked in red are public

http://www.colfordsguiding.com/mapkey.html

I was in the same situation as you are 2 years ago...I know have over 30 pools in my log on the MSW/NW/Renous/LSW/Cains
There is alot more public water out there than what people think. Just start off slow...I started with 2 pools and have expanded to over 30 in 2 years. Stop and talk to the fine folks at the fly shops they are normally great help.

I like the idea of getting a Crown Reserve...best $100 you will spend...and you have a good selection of pools to learn from.

If you go to a public pool. Don't be affraid to ask a few questions. Be polite and 95% of the time you will be well received and most likely get some decent advice. Stand on the bank and watch how the guys already fishing are doing things...you will catch on to the rotation fairly quickly.

Salmon fishing isn't like trout fishing...you could go all day with no takes.....but when you do get one.......hang the hell on!!!!

1 thing I will suggest never go up without a backup rod and reel...you just never know

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone that has posted. Lots of great info for me, and others. At least I didnt get that line "put the time in on the river" or something like that.
Putting time in on the water doesn't help much when you don't have a clue what your doing to start, or even knowing what water to fish in legally. The nb fish book isnt that clear, but all these websites and books you gentleman are suggesting is the right answer for me, just what i was looking for myself, but couldnt find.
Thank you all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts