New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post so please take it easy on me...lol. I am a very active salmon fisherman, I love the challenge of catching a salmon on a fly! However, I have just recently started taking a liking to these strong fighting small mouth's. I have very limited knowledge on these fish and don't know where to start. I know that Oromocto lake, Grand Lake, Mac. Lake and the Saint John river are all good places to catch the small mouth. However, What should I be looking for? Rocky and sandy bottom between five to 12 feet deep? Dose anyone know of any good places to catch bass from shore in or around Nackawic, NB? I would like to find a place that is close that I could stop at after work to unwind? I know I am asking a lot of questions, sorry, Up until now I have been just using 1/4oz jig heads with tube jigs, pumpkin, black, two tone black and green and a few others, for most part these have been working well. On the weekend I caught about 12 in Mac. Lake. What other bait/lures work when these won't? I need to build up my tackle box and I am not sure what to get and how and when to use them.

Thanks so much for the wonderful forum!

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Hey man! I'm a flyfisherman as well who also is new to the bass fishing world. However, last weekend I was in a kayak fishing bass tournament in NS, and had to figure it out. I ended up 6th place overall, so for a newbie I didn't do too badly. Here's what worked for me:

Get yourself some spinnerbaits, and I'm not talking about those rinky-dink Hilderbrandts. No siree! I'm talking about those big suckers with all the dangly arms attached to a bent piece of metal with a big spinner hooked onto that. Here's a picture: http://www.threeguysfishing.com/html/spinner_baits.html. Those suckers kicked ass! Just chuck 'em out and give a good jerk to get the spinners spinning, then start your retrieve.

I also had great success with the Rapalla perch (about 3" long, green back with yellow/orange belly).
I did pretty well with the tubes like you mentionned. I just chucked them out, then bounced them off the bottom on my retrieve.

Finally, I didn't have these, but after the tourney was over and everybody started sharing their secrets, I learned that Gary Yamamoto Senko's are KILLER for bass. A couple of the local guys (who all placed, mind you) were using his 5" worms. They are slow sinking, so you basically pitch them out, let them slowly sink down, then give a twitch to bring it back up, and continue letting it sink slowly.

Hope this helps. And by the way, feel free to come clean out the Hammond River of these smallies. We don't want em in there!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I live just down the road a few miles in prince William any time you want some pointers just look me up Or send me a pm, bass fisherman are not very popular on this site. And please dont use dynamite

1 - 5 of 5 Posts