New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reading up on the new regulations this year on the stripers,is it something I just missed over the years or are the 2hour before and after sunrise and sunset new? I know that these rules are in force for sport fish but it puts a real damper on the stripers at the Falls and even Hampton area with the night fishing with live eels.

I usually try to grab a night tide at the Falls and fish till the wee hours,since stripers are a low light fish it seems to be the most productive time other than a real crappy rainy foggy day with a good rip running.

Also, I see where anyone fishing bait now has to use non offset circle hooks. With all these new regs why don't they just classify stripers as a sport fish and be done with it?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Don't quote me on this, gmac, but I think that rule is for Northumberland Strait stripers and not Bay of Fundy/ Saint John River stripers. I'll have to read the regulations to be sure, but for some reason that seems to ring a bell. The IBOF stripers are true stripers that come from the Boston area, while the Northumberland Strait stripers are not true stripers, but a hybrid called a "whiper", and is a cross between a white bass and a striper, and there is still some debate as to where they come from, and if perhaps they actually come from here somewhere (I am of the latter school of thought). That's why you can fish for them on the Saint John river all year long, while the other ones there are only certain dates which one can fish for them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Im fairly certain theyre not whipers, looking through all of my straight stripers the stripes are all connected and not broken, generally a whiper would have broken stripes and be way fatter, i have a few that are also quite lanky which would be verrrry unusual of whipers.

From what ive seen we do have stripers that have broken lines and some of the populations its quite common, but i dont believe those are hybrid either. I could be wrong though.

Also i've talked to dfo in shediac while fishing at night and they said go at it, so im assuming that rule is for inland striper fisheries. Still gotta use barbless circle anywhere on the straight though if using bait.

·
Registered
386 Posts
When you speak to DFO, make sure it's not a field officer but rather head office, because quite often you will get different answers if you do and of those answers only one is correct. That person you asked seems like they answered you only for fishing at night, which you CAN do on tidal waters, however you would be breaking the law if you were targeting Northumberland Strait striped bass. As for whipers, yes, they have a broken line and their head almost seems like somebody pinched their nose and pulled it out some, for lack of a better description. Those are the ones you will find along the Northumberland Strait. Good luck.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't quote me on this, gmac, but I think that rule is for Northumberland Strait stripers and not Bay of Fundy/ Saint John River stripers. I'll have to read the regulations to be sure, but for some reason that seems to ring a bell. The IBOF stripers are true stripers that come from the Boston area, while the Northumberland Strait stripers are not true stripers, but a hybrid called a "whiper", and is a cross between a white bass and a striper, and there is still some debate as to where they come from, and if perhaps they actually come from here somewhere (I am of the latter school of thought). That's why you can fish for them on the Saint John river all year long, while the other ones there are only certain dates which one can fish for them.
Yeah,I think you're right bud,a fishing buddy or two has already enlightened me,must have been a panic attack! Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
no, we dont have hybrids in our water, the one i was holding in the sink is a straight striper, which is clearly non hybrid, the other is from a stocked lake in the states that has a wiper program.

·
Registered
173 Posts
They can and do indeed have broken lines, theres a population in ns that has super high density of broken lines from what ive read. But theyre still non hybrid bass, easy to mistake really but unless we have active stocking programs for them i dont think they would last long - although stranger things have happened.

there was a few studies done on it and suggested genetics from different areas, but nothing about hybridization that I could find.

Anywho, theyd be wayyy fatter in the gut and the fish on the Chi wouldnt be reaching 40-50 inches theyd be in general a lot smaller if they were hybrid im pretty certain a near world record hybrid is 25-30 lbs

·
Registered
386 Posts
Oh, ok. Now that you point out the fatter vs skinnier one, I do recall all the stripers I caught to be the skinnier kind, however they all had the broken line.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah ive got them in shediac / richibuto with broken lines and solid lines, cant find a solid anwser in writing as to why they have the odd broken stripe even non hybrid, i was actually looking into it last week and got stumped the only thing was a broad well its random genetics but thats pretty open haha

·
Registered
10 Posts
According to the DFO, the entire Southern St Lawrence:

- Angling activities will begin two hours before sunrise and end two hours after sunset of each day

The DFO doesn't have info on Tidal Water striped bass fishing for the Bay of Fundy. If they do it's hard to find.

If you look in the Nova Scotia regulations for stripped bass they have the 2 hour rule. Look in the New Brunswick regulations for 2016 and at the beginning they have new rules. It states the 2 hour rule for striped bass fishing.

I believe the 2 hour rule is universal, regardless of location, to protect the species. They know striped bass feed at night. No spotlight and bridge fishing at night like in the US. I've also fished the wharfs for striped bass past midnight and the people at the wharf acknowledged the 2 hour rule but said the DFO wouldn't do anything so they don't care.

I know you read online about using live eals, etc... at night for striped bass but in Canada the 2 hour rule is in place. Fishing with moonlight is at your own risk I guess.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I had an email from DNR earlier this week, in the Bay of Fundy tidal zone, striper fishing is allowed 24 hrs a day

1 - 20 of 22 Posts