New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2,584 smallmouth bass pulled from Miramichi Lake, didymo a threat in the Restigouche, and chain pickerel threatening salmon in the Magaguadavic of southwest New Brunswick. A NEW website provides valuable information on invasive aquatic species being found in New Brunswick's waters. It has ways YOU can help and how you can report them. It has updates and links. Check it out.
http://www.nbaquaticinvasives.ca/en/

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
2,584 smallmouth bass pulled from Miramichi Lake, didymo a threat in the Restigouche, and chain pickerel threatening salmon in the Magaguadavic of southwest New Brunswick. A NEW website provides valuable information on invasive aquatic species being found in New Brunswick's waters. It has ways YOU can help and how you can report them. It has updates and links. Check it out.
http://www.nbaquaticinvasives.ca/en/
Interesting site, nice to see it's not just another smallmouth bashing site. It actually has a lot of good info.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting site, nice to see it's not just another smallmouth bashing site. It actually has a lot of good info.
The NB Aquatic Invasives website is meant to be a place to add scientific papers, as well as keep abreast of news. Perhaps most importantly, it has a form to report sightings of aquatic invasives to a place where they are taken seriously, ASF Research, who also maintains the site.

·
Banned
97 Posts
I don't mean to offend you or anything but the problem with the smallmouth is that people don't take it seriously enough. People come from all over the world to fish our salmon, they can go anywhere warm in the world to fish smallmouth/largemouth bass. We are not going to have an industry if things progress the way they are now. I would much rather have zero smallmouth and still have a chance to catch a big salmon!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I don't mean to offend you or anything but the problem with the smallmouth is that people don't take it seriously enough. People come from all over the world to fish our salmon, they can go anywhere warm in the world to fish smallmouth/largemouth bass. We are not going to have an industry if things progress the way they are now. I would much rather have zero smallmouth and still have a chance to catch a big salmon!
Why would I be offended? I do take the problem seriously but smallmouth are in this province to stay, they were introduced legally about 130 years ago by DNR. People taking their limit and then some every day may also have something to do with the decline in salmon and trout populations. When was the last time you saw a BBQ's salomon get back in a river to spawn, but talk to a bass fisherman nd ask him how many smallmouth he kept, 99% will say none. I personally know of a guy that last year took over 75 trout in 1 day and his friend had a similar catch and the next day they headed out to do it again. Unfortunatley I could get a copy of the picture because they knew I would give it to DNR. Yes the spread of smallmouth is a problem but smallmouth aren't the only problem.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Why would I be offended? I do take the problem seriously but smallmouth are in this province to stay, they were introduced legally about 130 years ago by DNR. People taking their limit and then some every day may also have something to do with the decline in salmon and trout populations. When was the last time you saw a BBQ's salomon get back in a river to spawn, but talk to a bass fisherman nd ask him how many smallmouth he kept, 99% will say none. I personally know of a guy that last year took over 75 trout in 1 day and his friend had a similar catch and the next day they headed out to do it again. Unfortunatley I could get a copy of the picture because they knew I would give it to DNR. Yes the spread of smallmouth is a problem but smallmouth aren't the only problem.
Sad but true.

·
Registered
64 Posts
let the tourists fish stripers, they fight better, taste better, and eat a lot of young smallmouth, i get tired of all the salmon hype.because of salmon we have all these ridiculous laws, this keeps a lot of young people from even gettin started.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
There are no laws that would stop anyone from getting into fishing, in fact they don't need a license until they are 16 so that makes it easier for them. The laws are in place to try and protect the fish from idiots taking more than they should. Anyone can fish for any species provided they have the license for it, tourists pay a premium for a license which is a good thing. The sa,mon stocks are dropping world wide not just in New Brunswick, so I don't think it's because of smallmouth. Striper populations are increasing on the east coast, not sure about the stocks in the St John River and tribs but in NS they are doing ok, an estimated 90,000 in the Shubie river this year.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
That doesn't stop you from fishing, it just makes you use a flyrod that you can buy for a kid for $50.00 Rod, Reel, Line and includes flies. So how does that stop you?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have never been salmon fishing, and all these crazy laws do not stop me from fishing. I agree with all of these laws, I found this brook about 3 or 4 yrs ago and every day it had big trout in it... and pools of smaller ones ranging from 12 inches and up. Then this guy and his son starting fishing there and where catching bag fulls I was very upset, and now I d be lucky to get five from the same parts through out the entire season.

So saying that invasive fish are not the only problems that fish have it is the common ignorant fisherman too...

Not saying that is anyone on here but I bet we all know someone who is like that...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Great idea with the site. To note: muskie are only present above the mactaquac dam as noted on the site. They have been caught at least as far down as oromocto on the sj river by my experience , and also in washademoak as i have read from other posts on this site. They have been tested to be proven as a st lawrence strain by muskiesnb (sj river chapter of muskies canada). By all accounts they are here to stay same as smallmouth and pickerel, like it or not. I don't like the idea of invasives and condemn those who do so purposefully, but it is what it is in most places.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Anyone caught catching anywhere near 75 trout, as reported by somone on this thread, should have their license permanently revoked, first offense. Second offense, whatever vehicle they used to get there. That is just plain ridiculous. If I were to come upon someone doing that, it would be all I could do not to throw them in the water.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts