New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Visited Wilson's website to keep on top of the current conditions and noticed a fly that was recently tied up by one of the guests. Apparently it has been doing wonders.

I tied a few up and changed a few of the tying techniques used in the demonstration video on Wilson's site.

First off I did not use a double hook. Then I didn't have the dark green crystal flash so I used the peacock color. Can't see how that makes a difference. Then I tied the crystal flash in first as an underwing instead of on the outside of the hairwing on their version. I also tied one with the jungle cock eyes tied in prior to putting on the collar hackle and my other one in the photo I tied the eyes on after the hackle was wound in. To me it would make more sense having it tied in under the hackle this way it helps protect it from coming off as jungle cock is very brittle. Also gives it a sleeker finished look.

Another thing I did different is that I used a hackle that was shorter then their version. They tied theirs with a long hackle where it would reach the point of the hook..

Either way it looks like a promising fly and I will definitely giver her a try soon. One thing I might do different next time is to leave out the jungle cock and also add a silver or gold oval tinsel rib to help in strengthen the body which is made up of green flat tinsel. A fly with no rib tends to come apart more easily.

Here's my version. The colors are the same as the original.

·
Registered
260 Posts
G M.... you tie a great looking fly. It is great see someone take that much pride in there work.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used natural black squirrel tail. The hair is fine like the rabbit mentioned on Wilson's site. A really fine hair would be black died artic fox. I don't think it matters what blcak hair is used. I think the key to tying all these hair wing flies is keeping the wing sparse but not bare. You don't need a big fluffy wing. Besides most fine hair especially pine squirrel tend to pull out easily when using too much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts