New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey guys , Im amatuer to fly fishing so I want your guy's opinion on a new Rod I got its a cheap brand nothing worth naming but its a 6/7 wt 8 foot rod A little to much or just enough good rod to keep working with ? I know how to fly fish im just not sure maybe this rod is good for all around fishing? And for my learning experience to get and idea of what I like before paying good money for something nice , had a 5/6 wt liked it but now this what can this hold and have you used this type of rod ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ross Essence, retails for about $140 or so at Fredericton Outfitters. Probably the nicest-casting rod for under $150-175 that exists.

Ross also makes primo reels, from $100 to big train-stopping saltwater reels, too. I am not endorsed by Ross in any way, shape or form. I just think they make very good entry-level stuff

My next price level up I'd suggest is Temple Fork Outfitters. I have three of their rods & I love them dearly

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
There is a full line of St Croix Rods available in town at Don Gallaghers, he currently has everything from 2 to 9 weight, also has a nice selection of Fleuger reels.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey guys , Im amatuer to fly fishing so I want your guy's opinion on a new Rod I got its a cheap brand nothing worth naming but its a 6/7 wt 8 foot rod A little to much or just enough good rod to keep working with ? I know how to fly fish im just not sure maybe this rod is good for all around fishing? And for my learning experience to get and idea of what I like before paying good money for something nice , had a 5/6 wt liked it but now this what can this hold and have you used this type of rod ?
Serious, your 6/7 wt rod is fine to continue to learn with. It will cast some larger flies (size 4-10) that you might use for smallmouth, pickerel, etc. It will also do fine for most trout fishing with flies in the 10 to 14 size range. I would suggest you buy 2 nine foot tapered leaders, one with an 8-10 lb tippet and a second with a 4-6 lb tippet. Use the heavier one with the larger flies and the lighter one with the smaller sizes.

Your rod (more importantly your reel's drag, line, and backing capacity) is a bit light for striper or salmon fishing. In the hands of an expert it might be fine, but I would suggest you stick with smallmouth and trout while you build your experience. I would also suggest that you google Orvis Flyfishing Guide podcast and listen to some episodes. Lots of great help with questions about flyfishing and gear.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Twinfan get info and I will defifnalt only be sticking with torut bass etc but no stripers or salmon my licence doesnt permit salmon any just a resident licence, and as for strieprs i have an ugly stick snipping combo i use for that
haha thanks Jim ill deffinatly get in touch with Don Ive been meanign to !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts