New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Looking to buy a new fly reel but only want to spend 200 bucks
What weight line are you planning to load on it? Depending on the size of the reel you need, you can get Lamson, Orvis and other quality brands at around $200.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looking to buy a new fly reel but only want to spend 200 bucks
try these guys...great prices on Orvis and can even get you into my personal favs Hardy
for around $200....the Korean made ones but still made to Hardy standards so good reels.

www.flyshopcloseouts.com

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've had a blast buying my reels on ebay; got some hardys under $200.00. Got a Sage 508 made by Hardy in the 80's for $165.00 (noone is watching/bidding in summer)

·
Registered
428 Posts
honestley im just starting out snd dont no much
all I have to say about okuma is they aren't as good as they may look... I've had their top of the line reels.... mostly junk

It all depends what your fly fishing for... if it's salmon or striped bass, you want something of good quality, do your research online, I just use old hardy and JW Young reels I bought second hand that are more than capable... I have some new fly reels like Redington, LL Bean, etc that I bought because they appear to be decent quality and were priced right and while they look nice and are smoother than a hardy or JW young, you can't drop them once and awhile like the older reels. If your just fishing trout, buy a 20-30 dollar reel off of ebay as it will just hold line for the most part, unless your getting trout over 2-3l bs on a regular basis...

·
Registered
53 Posts
What should I look while buying a new fly reels (LW8-9) ? Any tips?
most important thing to consider is the drag, you will get a good one on a better quality reel. If you are using 8/9 w i am assuming you will be going after larger fish so drag will be the thing to look for. Google the best drag type for the species you will be after and you should pull something that will help you decide.

Like Bigfish mentioned, if you are just going after brookies the reel really will just be for line storage so drag is not as big an issue.

hope that helps.

rather catch him 5 times than eat him once!

·
Registered
250 Posts
The Hardy Marquis reels are affordable and if you like the LOUD click with a fish on they can't be beat . They also have an exposed rim which can be "palmed" for added drag. Hardy made reels for Scientific Anglers that are identical to their marquis line and they sell for less on ebay because they're not as desirable to some people as the marquis. Just go by the reel number for line weight; ie. marquis8/9 for those line weights (same reel as Scientific Anglers system 8 reel). I have a marquis 10 which is identical to the system 9 Sci. Anglers reel and the spools are interchangeable. The Scientific Anglers system 10 reel is identical to my Hardy Marquis Salmon 1 reel so I got a system 10 spool for a really sweet price on ebay and it fits perfectly. You can still get parts for these reels as well through Hardy North America.

My other favorite Hardy is the line made for Sage in the 80's which copied Hardy's lightweight series. I have a Sage 508 and a 509. They are for line weights 8 and 9 respectively, again, great sounding reels and a palming rim for your own variable drag.These are the first fully anodized, machined reels by Hardy and are quite sought after to collect so you'd have to be patient and save a search on ebay for these.

·
Registered
79 Posts
For under $200, I highly recommend the Lamson-Waterworks Konic. I have one for my 5wt, and know of guys who have them for 8/9-wt rods. Their drag systems are top-notch; the same drag system they put in their high-end reels; just the reel material is different (not as light). Details here.

Sorry about the FOA plug (I do try to stay neutral on this site; I don't even say "support your local fly shop" here to maintain neutrality) but if you're in Fredericton, it's worth stopping by.

ww

·
Banned
169 Posts
well if you are looking at saving a bit of cash...don't leave out the Greys reels. Made by Hardy and I bought one this year. comes with 3 extra spools. I have 1 loaded up with 4wt adn the other 8wt lines.
so far this reel is well worth the $100 I spent on it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not a 'traditional' name in salmon reels, but I bought a Cabela's RLS fly reel last year and I love it. Quality reel, smooth drag, and not overly expensive. If you're planning on fishing salmon with it, get the model 3 (for 7/8 line). Even better I'm pretty sure they're on sale right now on the Cabela's website. Check out the reviews on it if you want more opinions on the reel.
Whatever you get - good luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not a 'traditional' name in salmon reels, but I bought a Cabela's RLS fly reel last year and I love it. Quality reel, smooth drag, and not overly expensive. If you're planning on fishing salmon with it, get the model 3 (for 7/8 line). Even better I'm pretty sure they're on sale right now on the Cabela's website. Check out the reviews on it if you want more opinions on the reel.
Whatever you get - good luck.
I got one of those RLS reels 3 years ago; I use it with a WF-8F saltwater line on it; they are surprisingly good quality for the price. I used it down South for redfish & the drag held & was very smooth for a few big runs.

I'm just sour about me getting double-billed (tag-teamed in the unfun way...?) by Cabela's & UPS for taxes & duty. Paid it upfront through online store, then was forced to pay it again at the door. I called Cabelas, they said they'd clear it up, I called visa, they reversed the fee, and then, months later, I get a letter in the mail from a collection agency for the amount. I was livid. And, of course, when I called Cabelas again about it, they pulled a Ronald Reagan & had "no recollection" of any of that situation.

I don't regret the quality of the reel, but I really regret the customer service (& potential damage to my credit rating over $40...?) in dealing with them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Luckily I guess I've always had great service from them. Good thing now is Cabela's has their own Canadian catalogue/website/depot and ships out of Canada for us - should cut down considerably on the shipping.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you are looking to get a good reel and good line this it it. It may cost more than 200 dollars when said and done but you can get a free line from cortland, wulff, SA, Rio, or Airflo up to a 100 dollar value and free shipping.

I just ordered a 5/6wt FWX and with backing and an airflo 5wt ridge tactical it came to $265 with shipping.

http://www.stillwaterflyshop.com/estore/details/25868/0/3648

Best deal around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts