New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

119 Posts
Caught and released this one last evening, my 4th fish this week on a white buck bug, white polar bear tail and front horn, light creamy white soft hackle, tied similarly to a carter's bug, real loose, fished high and dry.

4 fish in 3 evening outings, I'm making up for my slow start LOL!

Would love to get into some bigger fish when water temps go down, right now, it takes quite a while to revive a fiesty grisle for release, it would take a good while for a big salmon with lots of lactic acid build up. I don't see any big fish moving at all, just a bunch of grisle everywhere...

· Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I hooked 3 but I lost them after 1-2 minutes...and caught/tagged 1 and probably roll like 10 ... water is way to warm and the fish doesn't bite properly most of the time I find. I was talking with a few other guys and they were saying the same thing they hooked some but after 1-2 minutes they lose them as well. But so far, since Saturday fishing has been great!
GREEN MACHINE is always doing miracle

119 Posts
Good show GDog!

I had that ''soft bite syndrome'' last week, 7-8 hookups between 3 guys and no fish landed. That all changed this week, takes are agressive and I was able to tail my last 4 fish hooked. The last 2 fish I landed were hooked in the upper lip cartillage, which to me are THE best hookup I can get, almost impossible to loose a fish when the hook is in there.

Water temp is still quite high, so if you intend on practicing catch 'n' release, I strongly recommend to play the fish rapidly, to the risk of a long line release (it's all in the take anyway lol!)

Thight lines,

119 Posts
August 17th log:

got to the pool at 6:30PM, right from the get go, my son had 2 different rises on his first 3 casts, then zippo for the rest of the evening.

My bud was there an hour before us and never got any action before 8:30PM, when he rolled a fish twice.

My brother and his buddy fished the lower section and my bro rolled a fish.

I rolled a couple of fish at 7:00PM, then 2 more at 8:30PM and then I hooked into a small small grisle (less than 20'') at last light.....lost it (long line released
) after a minute or so.

All in all a great evening on the river.

· Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
August 17th log:

got to the pool at 6:30PM, right from the get go, my son had 2 different rises on his first 3 casts, then zippo for the rest of the evening.

My bud was there an hour before us and never got any action before 8:30PM, when he rolled a fish twice.

My brother and his buddy fished the lower section and my bro rolled a fish.

I rolled a couple of fish at 7:00PM, then 2 more at 8:30PM and then I hooked into a small small grisle (less than 20'') at last light.....lost it (long line released
) after a minute or so.

All in all a great evening on the river.
Hey bull'sI usually do all /or most of my salmon fishing July/August in the NEP river. However, I am going back upnorth mid-september perhaps, do you know or do you think another run will be around? Or do you think everything will be over by then? ... I went once last year around the 1st week of October and it was a big waste of time... I was using bombers though, perhaps I should use wet fly in near fall season?

· Registered
1,676 Posts
this is great info!! thanks!
i just landed grisle last year, a little dissapointing, not even big grisle, so i'm hoping to c&r something bigger this year, although i would be happy with just one nice tag-able grisle...
any action on the rivers further north?

119 Posts
September is a great month to be out on the Nepisiguit, or any designated salmon water for that matter. Water cools down and darkens up, fish seem to take the fly a bit better than during the dog days. Wet flies are definitely more productive, but you can still stir up a pool with big dries in late season.

Boiled a couple of fish last night, t'was great fun nevertheless, as my dad came out for a rare outing with my brother and my son. It was nice to see 3 generations of anglers on the river. I almost did not fish all evening, just pointed my dad and my son to the most likely holding pods and hope and prayed for them to hook one up.

I got a kick outa watching my son give advice to my ol'man on fly selection and fly presentation in one section of the pool! Full circle...

Thight lines,

· Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
September is a great month to be out on the Nepisiguit, or any designated salmon water for that matter. Water cools down and darkens up, fish seem to take the fly a bit better than during the dog days. Wet flies are definitely more productive, but you can still stir up a pool with big dries in late season.

Boiled a couple of fish last night, t'was great fun nevertheless, as my dad came out for a rare outing with my brother and my son. It was nice to see 3 generations of anglers on the river. I almost did not fish all evening, just pointed my dad and my son to the most likely holding pods and hope and prayed for them to hook one up.

I got a kick outa watching my son give advice to my ol'man on fly selection and fly presentation in one section of the pool! Full circle...

Thight lines,
Thanks for the tips. (Ally shrimp orange probably something to try then...) If I was staying near Bathurst I will be fishing every night I think lol... but I am stuck in Dieppe so, it's a long drive to go fishing in my favorite river

btw, that's certainly good memories to keep in mind for you and your son. I brought my dad last Sunday as well for his first time, he does not practice any fishing activities but just the fun to share and explain how it works... it's something always fun, especially when you shared with close family or friends.

119 Posts
Really tuff fishing right now, I picked a fish at last light but other than that, the fish are very lethargic, water's warm, low and full of algae bloom, worst I've seen in a good while. Today we never got the rain forecasted, just an overcast day with occasional showers, not enough to get'em going....

· Registered
1,676 Posts
i was at middleton(?) saturday morning, first fisher there. nothing at first, then i rolled a grisle on a streamer, and a bit later rolled a salmon on a alpine bug - no hook up with either. about half an hour later, just after a fisher had told me he haddn't hooked a trout there this year yet after nailing them last year, i landed a little speckie, c&r'ed it. yesterday i tried there and papineaux falls, above and below the falls, and had what i'm assuming was a big trout take a little epoxy deceiver. i was above the falls at the time and he ran down towards the falls, which is a no fishing area. this is the first time i've bumped into the problem of hooking a fish in a legal area, and then having it run down towards a non-legal area. i was just thinking i should break it off as it had to be getting close to the head of the falls, rather than get arrested, not knowing for sure what the rule is in this case, and the fish broke off my line, probabley due to being hooked on the bottom the 2 casts before the hook up. i'm assuming it was a trout because of no jumps - i never saw the fish.

· Registered
6 Posts
Was out at the pass yesterday, nothing for us but a guy hooked one and had it on for about 30 mins. Never brought it in and it didn't seem to be fighting much either. Tried the pools around papineau, lots of fish but no bites, they even get scared of the fly!! Can't wait for the next few days after this rain!! See y'all out there!!

21 - 40 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.