New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

119 Posts
There is a nice little run going on right now.

The fish are not overly agressive because water temps, but it's time to get out and try and get one.

Quite a few fish hooked every day now.

Good fishing should be had on the weekend. I'm 0 for 3 in the last 3 evenings, but had a bit of action nevertheless and my bud hooked a couple of grisle, they are really small, all in the 20-22'' range it seems?

Thight lines,

119 Posts
I've been chest high in water for the last 5 days straight, fishing AMs and PMs; life is good

Rolled some fish, picked some more, hooked up a few, but unable to land a fish yet. This seems to be the norm with my angling friends as well, the bite being very soft.

I've been having a lot of success with a greased line bomber I call the ''ugly bug''....Green machine body, yellow hackle tied full, white calf tail and a white single upright calf tail horn at the eye....ugly as can be, but the fish love it!

The takes are very slow and non-agressive, probably due to high water temps, but who am I to complaint? The fishing is still incredible for this time of year and I don't mind ''long line releases'' LOL!

In the meantime, my 15 yr old is rolling one or 2 fish every evening, a matter of time before he hooks into his first salmon (he hooked a fat grisle last year).

His proud dad will be there to capture it on film. It just doesn't get any better I tell 'ya...

Take a kid fishing and hunting.....when you're old and grey, they'll blossom into the next generation upholding this wonderful tradition, while putting into practice your teachings and adding some of their own ingredients to the mix, this to your absolute delight...

Thight lines all,

119 Posts
Well it happened last night; my son finally caught his 1st grisle by his own doing (he had tagged one last year, but I had made the cast for him and handed him back the rod and the fish took....not the same)...

He was working 2 takers all nite, one down and accross from his position, and one slitghly above him. At 9PM, he put his green machine red hackle glitter tail bug at the right spot, and a nice 22-23'' grisle slammed it. After a 5 minute fight, he managed to back up to shore and his leader snapped when I tried to tail the fish....wind knot probably...

He was disappointed with the final outcome of not landing the fish, but nevertheless really hiped up about the surprise take and the ensuing fight the fish gave him.

He now wants to go back out tonite to try and catch him again and retrieve his lucky bug
Who am I to argue??...

''many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after''

Henry David Thoreau

Take a kid fishing and thight lines,

119 Posts
Went back out this AM at 5:30AM before work and my son noticed some fish breaking surface accross from his position and yelled to me ''Dad, there's no salmon over by the far bank now is there''?

It was a 45min big brook trout feeding frenzy the likes I have not seen often on the river, most fish were in the 1 to 3 lbs range I would guess. I tried to reach a couple that were just out of reach, but to no avail...still quite an impressive sight.

My son told me later on the drive back to the house ''see dad, if I would have stayed in bed this AM, I wouldn't have seen those big brookies feeding''.......I've created a monster!

119 Posts
Hooked 2 fat grisle last evening on the Nepisiguit. First fish was a stale hen, second fish a bright buck just starting his kipe.

They both took aggresively a with bug, white hackle white tail fished dry. My son didn't get any action, I guess the old dog can still teach the young one a few tricks hehe

Thight lines,

119 Posts
Caught and released this one last evening, my 4th fish this week on a white buck bug, white polar bear tail and front horn, light creamy white soft hackle, tied similarly to a carter's bug, real loose, fished high and dry.

4 fish in 3 evening outings, I'm making up for my slow start LOL!

Would love to get into some bigger fish when water temps go down, right now, it takes quite a while to revive a fiesty grisle for release, it would take a good while for a big salmon with lots of lactic acid build up. I don't see any big fish moving at all, just a bunch of grisle everywhere...

119 Posts
Good show GDog!

I had that ''soft bite syndrome'' last week, 7-8 hookups between 3 guys and no fish landed. That all changed this week, takes are agressive and I was able to tail my last 4 fish hooked. The last 2 fish I landed were hooked in the upper lip cartillage, which to me are THE best hookup I can get, almost impossible to loose a fish when the hook is in there.

Water temp is still quite high, so if you intend on practicing catch 'n' release, I strongly recommend to play the fish rapidly, to the risk of a long line release (it's all in the take anyway lol!)

Thight lines,

119 Posts
August 17th log:

got to the pool at 6:30PM, right from the get go, my son had 2 different rises on his first 3 casts, then zippo for the rest of the evening.

My bud was there an hour before us and never got any action before 8:30PM, when he rolled a fish twice.

My brother and his buddy fished the lower section and my bro rolled a fish.

I rolled a couple of fish at 7:00PM, then 2 more at 8:30PM and then I hooked into a small small grisle (less than 20'') at last light.....lost it (long line released
) after a minute or so.

All in all a great evening on the river.

119 Posts
September is a great month to be out on the Nepisiguit, or any designated salmon water for that matter. Water cools down and darkens up, fish seem to take the fly a bit better than during the dog days. Wet flies are definitely more productive, but you can still stir up a pool with big dries in late season.

Boiled a couple of fish last night, t'was great fun nevertheless, as my dad came out for a rare outing with my brother and my son. It was nice to see 3 generations of anglers on the river. I almost did not fish all evening, just pointed my dad and my son to the most likely holding pods and hope and prayed for them to hook one up.

I got a kick outa watching my son give advice to my ol'man on fly selection and fly presentation in one section of the pool! Full circle...

Thight lines,

119 Posts
Really tuff fishing right now, I picked a fish at last light but other than that, the fish are very lethargic, water's warm, low and full of algae bloom, worst I've seen in a good while. Today we never got the rain forecasted, just an overcast day with occasional showers, not enough to get'em going....

119 Posts
has anyone been out latley heard there still on the run? How long can you fish salmon on the nep?
'till your fingers get numb LOL!

Late October with the last week being catch 'n' release

My brother was in to some fast action the 2 days before moose season, the grisles were really aggressive. Hooked 2 fish in just a few casts on successive mornings.

119 Posts
Time to get this thread back in action for 2011.

I haven't had a chance to get out yet after Salmo, but there is a lot of big fish in the system, all the way to the Gorge. Buddy of mine guides up there and the first sport of the year caught a grisle yesterday AM, so there are fish scattered thru.

Biggest challenge right now is the water level, and finding a decent high water pool to fish.

A co-worker tagged 3 grisles in the last 6-7 days, and had multiple hookups and bigger fish, so it is on, and I would say pretty much on time for the Nip in terms of the early run.

The last couple of weeks saw a lot of action at the Flats so I hear, but that's not a spot I fish at all.

I will be able to get out on Thursday or Friday (or both!) evening with my son. Will let you know how we make out....'till then it's hard on the workin' man

119 Posts
Fishing should be really good on the weekend, the water is dropping, and the fish are coming in.

Buddy tagged a grisle last night and this morning, only passed a couple of flies and bumped 4-5 fish. He keeps his grisles and has 2 tags left in in 8 or 9 outings, he did really good on grisles and MSW alike, with a yellow wing butterfly and a white calftail green machine.

I have been tied up but I'm heading out after supper for an evening outing with my son who's anxious to try his new salmon outfit.

Thight lines,

119 Posts
1st outing Saturday evening with my son, we hit the upper section first, my son raised a couple of fish on a brown bug red crystal flash tail, very big fish.

Drove down to Pabineau falls and got down to Lower Crossing just as a buddy was landing a bright 22'' on a Black Bear Green butt. Fished from 9:30 to last light and I raised a couple more.

Saturday morning my son hooked his 1st of the year on a black bear green but, bright football grisle, almost 6lbs for 23.5''. In the meantime, I managed to pick one and roll 3 others (all different fish)...it was all good.

Seems to be more bigger fish in the system than grisles, which is normal for this time of year and typical of the early run. Get out there, loads of fun. Man my home projects are gonna take a backburner now

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.