New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Newbie here. About 10-15 years ago I used breathable waders in and around Southern NB. Now, I'm starting to get back into fly fishing and will be purchasing some waders this week. I wanted to know what other folk are using in around these rivers. I'm leaning towards neo for the durability but am worried they might turn into saunas this summer.

Any input would be great!

Thank you.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have several pairs of Neoprene and yes they are durable.. however in the warmer weather you will be soaked from sweat. It is worth the money to get a pair of breathables for sure. Good luck, so many out there to choose from. Let us know what you get...

·
Registered
298 Posts
I agree with extream, I suggest look at the time your gonna be fishing .. if your into spring and fall fishing neoprene, if your gonna be on the water June thru Sept. ? you might wanna get some breathables. pick the most important buy them and make next year the other set .. Happy wading

·
Registered
184 Posts
Definitely buy breathable waders. Stocking foot model with a good supportive wading boot if you're going to be walking/wading any kind of distance. Boot foot models are fine if you are spending most of your time getting in and out of a boat.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
If you're getting back into fly fishing, get two pairs: one neoprene for early spring, and one breathable sock foot with boot for later. Or, if you just want to go with one pair, make it breathable with sockfoot and boot, but in the spring, wear a pair of sweat pants or long johns so you don't go hypothermic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. Thank you exstreamfisherman, zamboni-guy, Twinfan and Stroover (great handles!). Very insightful responses! I'm going to get myself some sockfoot breathables this year and maybe ask my lady for some neo's for Christmas!

I've always been a L.L.Bean devotee, so I will most likely buy from them. They've taken great care of me in the past. But I've also looked at Orvis and Patagonia. Any serious concerns regarding any of those brands? I've read that the patagonia boots here are decent too.

Thanks again, happy wading

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Dunno. My buddy swears by Orvis, I just have a Canadian Tire pair of neoprenes for about $80, and I got a good deal on a pair of breathable sock foot Simms at the Dieppe Fly Fishing Forum. (Actually, it wasn't that good a deal as he knocked off $40, so I got them for $140), and a pair of $80 Frogg Toggs with felt bottom from Doiron Sports.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had many pairs of waders, currently I have neoprene waders and they can get hot really fast. I love them for the cold weather. I haven't seen breath-able waders. I think in the future I will go with the sock style waders and get a quality pair of wading boots.

Of course I would keep my neoprene for early season and late season wading.

·
122 Posts
Breathable all the way from early April to mid October in my case. I have stashed my neos up in the rafters sometime ago now and will only pull them out for duck hunting or late season trapping. A good layer system with breathables will keep you confy and warm all day in the cold months, and very confortable in the summer months.

Simms, Cabellas, LL beans, Hodgman, are all good brands. Stocking foot for me, but that's a personal choice. Some people like the practicality of slipping in and out of a boot foot quickly for a morning or evening fish, but I prefer the support from a good ''guide'' type stocking foot boot. The only neoprene I wear are my gravel guards lol!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts