New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Flyfishers

Merry Christmas to everyone. I have had a great Christmas with regards to flyfishing. A new vise, Fly Tiers Benchside Reference and a nice magnifying lamp but I also received some cash and I think I am going to buy a new rod,reel and fly line.

I was looking at getting a Redington RS4 rod or a Classic Trout rod. I was looking at something in the 4wt to 6wt 4pc category and I do a lot of trout fishing on smaller streams which also means lots of nymphing for me. I have looked at reviews for these rods and while I am impressed with them I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for a fly rod between $150 - $200 and if they know of any stores in Canada.
Also looking at getting a reel but not sure what to get yet. Same as the fly line. Any info or suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks
Dragon

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Hello Flyfishers

Merry Christmas to everyone. I have had a great Christmas with regards to flyfishing. A new vise, Fly Tiers Benchside Reference and a nice magnifying lamp but I also received some cash and I think I am going to buy a new rod,reel and fly line.

I was looking at getting a Redington RS4 rod or a Classic Trout rod. I was looking at something in the 4wt to 6wt 4pc category and I do a lot of trout fishing on smaller streams which also means lots of nymphing for me. I have looked at reviews for these rods and while I am impressed with them I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for a fly rod between $150 - $200 and if they know of any stores in Canada.
Also looking at getting a reel but not sure what to get yet. Same as the fly line. Any info or suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks
Dragon
Check with Don Gallager at Bass Tackle Plus, he has the St Croix line and I know he has a 4wt 4pc in stock for sure.

·
Registered
298 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Dragon. That's a lot of gear for three hundred bucks. Now would be the time to buy it if your serious enough.

I recently got a five weight St. Croix and I'm very excited in trying it out. There is a huge difference between five and nine weights.

I'm not sure were your from, but here in Fredericton, we have a shop that is having a pretty great sale on this week. My suggestion, budget yourself, or do like I do. Buy a piece at a time. It seems more affordable and you get quality stuff. Lets face it, we have all winter to think about it! Either direction you choose to buy your equipment, a five weight is an excellent choice, I'm just not sure how much they can actually handle. I've heard stories of guy's using them in July on the Miramichi. To me, that's just asking for trouble, but I'm not the expert...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi everyone.

I ordered it this morning. I am living in the Miramichi right now but this rod is mainly for trout. I do a lot of fishing on the Island. I imagine you could land a nice salmon with it but you would wear the fish out babying it to get it in.

I have fought fish before on what would be considered light gear and it took hours to get it in but it was blue fin tuna. Longest fight I ever had was 4 hours and got him but I fought another for 10 hours and lost him. Heartbreaking. Well the fish were around 1000ls and the line was 220lb mono with 180lb fluro tippet but the mono broke on the 10 hour fight at fifty feet. As for landing big trout on a small rod my fishing buddy has a video landing a 23 1/2 inch Rainbow on a 3wt and there was no babying that thing. I would be estatic to land something like that on my 5wt.

I also ordered "Modern Midges" by Rick Takahashi. That is all my purchases for now. Have to get back into the tying now that I have a good vise.

Hope the rod is a good one. Never fished anything by Redington but from the reviews I have read it seems perfect for what I do and like you said Richard it is a good deal for 300 dollars. Might buy new fly line before spring besides the Rio that comes with the rod. Still have lots to learn about fly line.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fly Rod just came in the mail.

Great looking piece of fishing gear. Can't wait until I can try it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts