New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Flyfishers

I need help buying a rotary fly vise. I was wondering what a good vise would be for around $100-$150 dollars. I have been looking but usually end up getting pages that have vises for way too much money. There has to be some good vises out there for a beginner.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Hi Flyfishers

I need help buying a rotary fly vise. I was wondering what a good vise would be for around $100-$150 dollars. I have been looking but usually end up getting pages that have vises for way too much money. There has to be some good vises out there for a beginner.

Thanks for any advice.
Have a look here

Fly Vise

·
Registered
113 Posts
I now tie exclusively on a Danvise. It is a true rotary vise as opposed to a rotating head vise. The true rotary can hold the hook such that the hook shank is inline with the centreline of the rotating mechanism which allows all kinds of wrapping manoevers to be made for bodies, tinsel, hackles, etc. You probably knew that already.

You can get it for about $ 80.00 US, but I recommend also buying the head extension for about $ 20.00 US. This moves the jaws away from the main barrel of the vise body, giving you mote room, especially if , like me, you have sausages for fingers. Total- about $ 100.00

There are prettier rotary vises around, but this has a good strong jaw arrangement that really holds the hook. It's hard to beat the price and the value.

Al Beatty also has replacement jaws if you need them, and he provides good service. J. Stockard in New Hampshire sells them mail order, and one of the other posts gave Al Beatty's ( BT's) website as well.

Watch the DVD that comes with the vise for setup instructions.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Morfrost.

I was looking into the Danvise but I ended up ordering a Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose last night.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Fly-Tying/Tools-Vises|/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/104340780/i/103884480/Griffin-Blackfoot-Mongoose-Vise/743376.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-fly-fishing-fly-tying-tools-vises%2F_%2FN-1100441%2FNo-48%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103884480%3FWTz_stype%3DGNP

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you are going down to the states anytime soon check out Cabelas, Van Raymonds, L.L bean, and Kittery trading post. If your not going to the states check them out online. They all have great deals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts