New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i went to fish on Lake Killarney with my kayak. After 10 minutes, an agent/officer(?) from the department of natural ressources ask for my licences which i gave. The person wrote down the informations on my license and ask me to answer at a survey on how i was fishing etc... The agent gave me back my license and we chat for a bit, then the agent left.

Does the agent took the info for stats or i will receive some kind of warning/fine in mail? Im pretty sure i didnt do something illegal.

Does someone know why they are taking our info? Am i in trouble?

Thanks!

·
Registered
888 Posts
If you were in trouble, he would have told you. You can be certain of this, so don't worry.
They always, always, always tell you if there is a problem.
Last one I met it was the same thing - tons of questions about my fishing, and then have a nice day.
NOthing to worry about, I am sure. You can sleep well tonight.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah, nothing to worry about. I was stopped and filled out the survey a couple times this spring in the Miramichi. Two years ago my wife and I got stopped while walking back from one of our fishing spots in Boisetown, and she had retained a grilse. We gave the DNR officer our info, and reported that the grilse she kept was a tagged fish (it was hooked in the gills really badly so she decided to keep it anyway). We submitted the tagging info with our surveys and they sent us a neat history of that fish, and entered her name in a draw for a guided salmon fishing trip. We didn't get drawn for the trip, but it was a nice gesture. Anyway, that is just part of their job to collect the info and submit reports from the anglers at a given location. Killarney lake is stocked by DNR, so they were probably just looking to see how the fish were growing and what kind of numbers were present. My wife's parents are both DNR officers, so I can assure you that as long as you had your lincence and weren't fishing in an illegal manner, there is nothing to worry about. Keep filling out the surveys and you might just end up with one of the prizes they offer each year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Since most people probably don't fill out the surveys on what they caught it is nice to see these guys collecting the info as they talk to people. I have to agree with Lobsterman: if there was a problem they would have told you pretty quick!

·
Registered
138 Posts
They could be collecting information to help determine the effectivness of the the provincial stocking program. We had a lady give us a briefing at Fredericton Fish and game club a few months back on the NB Stocking program and it is funded by that extra $5 that is on your license. She highly encouraged us to complete the yearly angler survey as it is used to assess the effectiveness of their program so it could have an impact in the future as to what lakes get stocked. And remember they are putting the fish out to be caught so if they never get any feedback about folks catching fish in the lakes that they stocked they might reassess and put them elsewhere in subsequent years.

Cheers

Bill G.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.