New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
This contest is open to NB fishers and fishers in NB. I encourage anyone interested to post there pictures in the entry thread for each season, you can post in the gallery but please note they are for the Angler of the Year and try not to post to many in the gallery, we do not want to disrupt the normal site.

This contest will run by season, winter spring summer and fall, combining all for a year long winner. there will be prizes!

We will break each month into 2 periods, the first running to midnight on the second Sunday of the month, and the second running from then to the end of the month.

I will post a list of the players and points within a few days of the close of each period, so no need to track your own points. I will if time permits post the ongoing points during each season so people know where they stand.

A: 1000 points each for up to 3 fish of each species per half month period. post as many species as you can.

B: 2000 points for the longest of each species per half month that is shown and measureable against a measuring device like a tape measure or bump board. exception: if there is only 1 fish of a species that period it will get the bonus points

C: 2000 points for a first Hero Shot, 1000 points for a hero shot for each of the following seasons. A Hero Shot will show a fish and the fishers face, it does not have to be taken by the fisher. The hero shot is an exception and counts as a separate species. Exception: kids 12 and younger can enter Hero Shots once per half month, all for 2000 points.

D: 500 points each for up to 3 fish of a species not caught in NB waters per half month, an additional 500 points for the longest of these per species per half month.

E; 2000 points per rare species from NB waters. this will be awarded to more than 1 fisher if same species caught or different equally rare species. if no rare species is caught no bonus points will be given.

F: Updating longest fish. This is allowed by posting your new monster, shown and measurable against a measuring device but only counts for the bonus points.

There will be 2 divisions, 12 years of age and younger, and the rest of us old folk, so please note in your first couple entries if you are 12 or younger as of today.

For this derby NB waters will include fresh and tidal water in NB and Fresh, tidal and salt water bordering NB. Please note you must follow the rules of the site for posting pictures.

There will be no token required for this winter season but a token may be required for Spring, Summer and Fall (see below for token) or be given extra points for using the token.

All fish entered must be caught by the person they are posted for. No stale photos older than the half month we are in. Cheating will cause disqualification.

Any questions please post on this thread.

·
Registered
364 Posts
So a couple questions regarding this.

1) If I use an outside imaging service like imgur, its preferred and encouraged?
2) What would be considered a 'rare' species in our province exactly?

3) If I post three of a species, does it still contend for the longest fish entry of that species as well as my default 1000 points? I assume by the wording that this is the case, but under F) it indicates that the longest fish entry is treated as a seperate set of points.

Looks like based on these rules it will be much simpler to manage :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Lokithx, I read that last rule as being meant so the longest species caught can still be posted even though you might have already caught and posted three that period. Say you posted three small brookies. You get 3x1000=3000 points. Then you go out again and get a real whopper before end of month. The new pic "replaces" one of the old, so now you get 3x1000+2000(for longest) = 5000 points.

This set of rules works for me, iPop, with the clarification on the "rare species". (Is it a list of specific species, your call as to whether a species is rare or not, or is it "a species where the total caught that period is less than a specific number"?). Should also clarify that all fish have to be caught by angling or fly fishing (e.g. no netting gaspereaux or trapping minnows or seining herring), and clarify as to whether accidentally catching sport fish out of season counts or does not count.

Plus one more question: can there only be a max of 4 hero shots for adults (one per season), or is that meant per season AND species so you can have a bunch?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
thanks for your input fishers, i'll try to clarify your questions.

Lokithix, to post in the leads you will probably have to use an imaging service, either one like the one you mentioned or Photo bucket ( free! ) or image shack etc.. most will leave all the data for us. do not crop or adjust the pictures or the data will be messed up.

I think Retroboy has covered your other question well , leaving us with the most asked question, what counts as a rare fish. this will be a little fluid,, in most cases if you have caught a bunch before it most likely is not rare, but some are rare in almost all the province while there are lots in very small spots. some examples:

Rare:

silver hake

white hake (not quite as rare but still a fish most have never seen or caught)

red hake (only in salt water here)

long nosed sucker

wiper (a hybrid of striper and white bass)

tiger trout

splake

silver shiner

trout-perch (very rare and extremely hard to hook up with, I've caught 2, took me forever to figure out what they were)

a few that are rare in most of the province but available in numbers in other spots would be looked at by the number of them posted, like:

May be considered Rare:

lake trout

rainbow trout

artic char

any dogfish except spiny dogfish

there are some that are rare but only because they are new variants:

Very Rare:

blue perch (my favorite since I caught the first photographed in the Maritimes)

blue sunfish (I took a picture of one of these but it didn't show well and I thought it was a cross breed not a special version of the fish at that time)

blue rainbow trout (it's actually an albino too - not all albinos are white)

both of these last are actually a new variant, an albino version of a common species with a new slime that has appeared in the last twenty years, that is a pale light blue. please be sure to release these variants, they may be a new protection from ultra violet rays, something we need in our clean cut stream bank waters. these may not be rare long.

ohps, I missed some of Retroboy's questions. yes, there is a max of 4 Hero Shots, 1 per season for fishers over 12 years old.

To clarify yes, this contest is for fish caught while legally angling (which includes fly fishing). I will allow accidental catches off out of season fish so long as a fishing season was open to allow fishing on those waters. abuse of this will get it looked at again

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
there are a pair of new species I can not count, due to only being able to tell they are this new specie's for sure by genetic testing: dwarf smelt and gigantic smelt. these are only found in the lakes near lake Utopia and are protected there. there is no open ice fishing for these, so they will probably never show up here.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
token test

IT'S BEING A PAIN... check it out in the gallery.

after over half an hour trying to post the photo of the token for the aoty, my congrats to all that have managed to upload photos to the leads. maybe it will like me tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay, goggle worked! here is the token. print a picture, make a copy, draw it your self. all are acceptable

IMG_5348_zpsic4krift.jpg

·
Registered
981 Posts
As the new fishing season is opening up and I think there might be more interested anglers out there, bumping this to the top of the forum in anticipation of more people participating as of April 15th. See first post for full rules.

(And to be able to easily find the rules again too. :) )

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no token need until summer starts, but it would be a good idea to give it a try, you know, before you catch the whopper!! lol!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I need to start with the pictures, because I spent the weekend landing a lot of brookies (stocked, so not THAT special) but I didn't picture any of them. This is not helping my cause, and I have to give myself crap about it!

·
Registered
981 Posts
John, a question on how spring-into-summer is going to run:

Is the first half of June going to run from June 1 12:01AM to Saturday June 20 11:59PM this month, to line up with Sunday's being the first day of summer?

The second sunday of June is the 14th but that doesn't line up with the seasonal transition, and I'd like to know how tourney entries would work in the following week.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to go with ending the first half of June on June 14. breaking it up for spring/summer only effects the seasonal standings. and this way people don't have to rush home from the paddling tourney to enter their 3 to 12 species.

Sorry for being away from the site for a while , I'll catch up with the points and standing soon and send off some stuff too.Again, sorry for the delay.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
a couple small clarifications were made in the rules, just to open it up a bit and a little clarification (fish caught outside nb, not as was before - found outside nb.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts