New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing a lot of talk about the re-opening of the St. John river and it's tributaries. Concerned about all water, I am very concerned about the Nashwaak especially because it's not a very large river. I have mixed feelings because I love to fly fish, and would love to see it re-opened, however, at what expence? I think if it opens, the nets go in, and it would be over forever in just one year.

I am guilty of fishing the Nashwaak and catching a few grilse in the past three years, but I have always released them. Here is the news article of the fish count on the Nash and Mactaquac counter for this year...

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/front/article/1175862,moderated

Piece folks...
Rick

·
Registered
492 Posts
A single year anomaly shouldn't have people rushing to open up fishing. I hope they wait to see if these levels are sustained for multiple years before doing anything that would place additional pressure on them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The river has had lots of fish for the last three years.I believe the official counts are not very accurate as some fish get through the counter in high water.I think the river should stay as is until the count gets to a few thousand.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The rivers will likely be closed as long as the IBOF Atlantic salmon remains listed as an endangered species, which probably won't be changing anytime soon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was told by a reliable source that if they were to open the Nashwaak for catch and release salmon fishing it would allow the Aboriginal communities in the area to harvest fish for ceremonial purposes, which might place too much stress on the few salmon left in the Nashwaak. The same person also reported the river really needs 2,000 fish per year to maintain a viable population and the counts aren't near that number.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was told by a reliable source that if they were to open the Nashwaak for catch and release salmon fishing it would allow the Aboriginal communities in the area to harvest fish for ceremonial purposes, which might place too much stress on the few salmon left in the Nashwaak. The same person also reported the river really needs 2,000 fish per year to maintain a viable population and the counts aren't near that number.
From what I hear there are plenty of salmon being taken for "ceremonial" purposes now by the Stanley band.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not holding my breath fish nut. I just see a lot of potential with this river system and hate to see something looking brighter end up in ruins because someone on the inside didn't care enough to think fifty years down the road...It has also come to my attention, that tubers are doing a number on the Nashwaak this year. They come down by the hundreds, and litter. Not to mention, having to walk all thru the river because it's to low destroying dens...So, perhaps if the tubes were not in the water all year round, it might (and I say MIGHT) get even better...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I live in Taymouth and you're right about the tubers leaving a mess, even though the tubing businesses have supplied garbage cans all along the section of river they're using. But it's not just the tubers, the guys in canoes are responsible for many of the beer cans and bottles. Thankfully most of the best salmon pools are farther up the river so not many spawning areas are effected.
The Nashwaak Watershed Association is working to improve the river and can always use supporters and volunteers, so if you want to improve the river join the association.
Some enforcement on the river would also help in stopping the netting and other illegal fishing. A few wardens might even stop situations like the guy with the spinning gear in the mouth of the Dunbar last week and the guy that told be to FO when I told him that it was illegal to stand on the abutment of the Taymouth bridge fishing with his spinning gear.

·
122 Posts
If you are allowed to fly fish the Nashwaak for other fish species, accidentally catch and release an Atlantic Salmon, isn't this some form of bonafide catch n release fishery in itself? I don't see what the big argument is all about.

If fish counts are up, and you're allowed to wet a line in the river, what's the big deal, unless you wanted a catch n keep fishery....

As for the #$%??%$?&$& tubers (Yahoos I call'em up here....), you can tell where they put in and where they put out, trail of garbage....

THEY should pay the conservation and fish stocking fee on OUR fishing license, not US, 'cause THEIR actions are negatively impacting the fish's habitat, not OUR actions....

I've picked up anything and everything from ripped open tire tubes, spent fire cracker sets, dixxie cups, beer bottles/cans and even a refrigerator coil used as a fire pit grill last week on the river......oh and I almost forgot, a dome tent........................

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bullseye as I understand the situation, the Nashwaak has to remain closed to salmon fishing because if they open it to catch and release then the local Aboriginal communities have the right to harvest fish for ceremonial purposes. Besides we're still not at half the number of fish the biologists say are needed to maintain a viable population, so we need every one.

·
122 Posts
Bullseye as I understand the situation, the Nashwaak has to remain closed to salmon fishing because if they open it to catch and release then the local Aboriginal communities have the right to harvest fish for ceremonial purposes. Besides we're still not at half the number of fish the biologists say are needed to maintain a viable population, so we need every one.
OK 10-4 on that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BucksNDucks...The first comment in this thread has the link to that CBC article.

I'm not suggesting it is the owner of the tubers fault for renting tubes to assholes. How would he know? My point was, he walks in there, rents tubes, makes a killing, and expects everyone to be dilligent while floating down the river. Because its a business, he should take on more responsibility. I mean, he is sort of, kind of taking away from other people who want to enjoy the river as well by me, or you having to wait a half, hour, maybe more for them to float by...I treat canoers differently because they come in pairs, get thru a pool quickly, and most generally have enough respect to go out around you...(Yes, some still litter) A hundred tubes comming down towards you, you might as well give up for the summer, or only fish when it rains...I just don't see any way to compromize with this situation. You have a guy making a couple grand a day, for three, months a year. I'm sure they could hire a couple coyakers to cruise the river every day and pick the garbage up...And, perhaps stay out of the water until ten in the morning, and out by seven at night...Would that work?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm the same way about the Hammond and the IBOF rivers....but I've just about lost all hope of any come back...They tried to the the Hammond open to hook and release but it was shot down because if it was open then the first nations could fish, and there are not enough fish yes to support that, so it remains closed for all.

They had (have) the same issue on the LSW with the tubbers. I noticed that Stewart's put up garbage cans the whole way down the river (good job!). Hear he paddles down and picks up the garbage couple times a week. Maybe whoever is running the tubbing biz up there should do the same. Certainly would not hurt to make some calls and complaints.

·
Registered
21 Posts
On the LSWM Stewarts has a patrol guy on all day. His job is to help any tubers in distress and to clean up any garbage. He then does a final run after the last tubers are dropped of and get whatever garbage he missed.

They do a very good job at garbage control, and allow only cans, no glass.

I would also mention that the owner is an avid salmon fisherman, so he controls the hours to have the least effect on fishermen.

Starts and 10.00 am and no one after 6.00 pm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have seen some shady things on the Nashwaak this year. I have seen a few real true Natives flyfishing and getting a few salmon and taking them home with the what are they doing to do attitude. I have also seen a few white guys doing the same but sneaking around.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I'd be much happier seeing someone hook and keep a salmon over a net going in and netting an entire pool. There is good and bad in every crowd, race, mamal, whatever. At least they are using a fly rod. However,I feel that if one can do it and not be charged for it, then I should be able to cast a line and not feel guilty for C&R...That should never be an argument in a court of law, and something tells me it's about to happen sooner than never.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts