New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow fishers, im from fredericton and often travel up to boisetown/doaktown and occasionally to blackville to do trout fishing before the salmon start to run. This year with gas prices and my line of work im going to be sticking closer to town and will be fishin the Nashwaak quite a bit.
I know the few times over the last couple years that i have fished the Nashwaak ive had the occasional day where ive had great luck and gotten into some nice fish. I want to start this forum topic as a bit of a log and guide for myself and other fishers in the area to keep track of how the fish are running/conditions/which parts of the river are producing well under given conditions.
ive read a couple forums and just like any other year people have their speculations about when the run will start or if we already missed it, but i assure you in the next couple of weeks they will start coming! from the reports in the miramichi they are getting the odd run of smelt right now but most of the trout they are catching are residents. By the third week of may i imagine if the conditions are right the fishing will start to really pick up.
I want to encourage anyone else that does some trout fishing in and around fredericton to post and let me know how you and your buddys are doin.

Last night was my first night out, I fished a couple spots up by the nashwaak tubing business there, no luck. Waters still quite high obviously and its early yet, but there are rumours of the odd trout being caught. There were a couple other fisherman in the river, stopped and talked to one and he also hadn't seen any fish.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Fletcher,
I spend most of my season on the Nashwaak & its tribs chasing trout. Conditions are pretty rough out there right now. The first sea-runs of 2010 were about 7-8 days into the season at Marysville bridge; this year...who knows?

Two useful little tips for you & everyone else: at DNR in F'ton, there is a river guide you can get photocopied for around $5. It has pools marked on it from way back in the salmon-fishing days.

(BTW, PLEASE, for the love of all that is good & holy in the world, report ANYONE fishing for or netting salmon on the Nashwaak. It does happen, more than most people think. Feel free to throw large rocks into the water if you see them fishing with 8-9wt fly rods
).

One other thing, here is the link to Environment Canada's real-time hydrometric stations in NB. There is a water gauge at Durham Bridge you can click on for current & historical conditions.

Note, the fly fishing only sections of the Nashwaak have been extended to the Marysville bridge this year, after July 1st.

It's also ok in my books to keep a few 2/0 weighted clouser minnows in your pack to cast at the tubers if they're littering

ww

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wanna? Hear anything about the pool just bellow the Ville bridge being one of the pools on the Nashwaak? Rumour is, it's been for some time now, but I haven't seen it in the book. I think we need a thicker book, and break it down into lamens terms. They really should break it down by rivers, instead of seeing something about the Nash ten pages later...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Richard,

It just says above "the route 8 bridge in Marysville" or something like that, so anything below the bridge would be open to non-fly fishing, I'm guessing. I don't have the book right beside me.

They should make it a little simpler somehow. I didn't know about the extension of "fly fishing only" waters down to the 'ville bridge until just the other day

ww

·
Registered
79 Posts
One other thing re: Nashwaak River: As some of you may or may not know, there are plans for a fairly large mine to go in at the headwaters of the Nashwaak River, and some natural gas drilling planned for around the Penniac Stream area. One way to get involved & to stay informed of potential developments that may threaten fishing opportunities on the Nashwaak is the Nashwaak Watershed Association. The website is nashwaakwatershed<dot>ca, easily googled, and membership is cheap, $10 per year. We'll be needing all the help we can get over the foreseeable future.

ww

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's funny you just mentioned the minning up at the headwaters. A while ago, that was supose to be voted out because of concern from the people. Now, the Minister Margaret-Ane Blaney has changed what was supose to be protected wetlands into areas for development purposes...Just when the Nashwaak starts to look likes it going to turn around, I get this feeling of doubt now.

So what if someone hooked a salmon on the Nash, released it? The government doesn't care about the rivers success, why should anyone else? Bad attitude, I agree.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, very informative stuff, I didnt know anything about the possible developments around the river, quite shocking.
I also agree on the subject of them simplifying the do's and donts, its very confusing and takes alot of figuring out with mapbooks and whatnot just to know where you can fish and what you can fish with and when? theres alot of spots ive wanted to try along the nashwaak and other rivers in new brunswick in general but am just too intimidated to most of the time for fear of doing something i shouldn't.
It would be nice if there were some rangers on this site that were willing to come on once in awhile and answer some questions, that would be a great tool i think.
and WW, thanks very much for the durham bridge historical link! very cool

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was out fishing the cains this past weekend, nothing of any size but between 3 of us fishing for a couple hours in the rain we came up with 5 trout, between 5-10 inches, all nice bright silver brookies, sea run is starting it seems

·
Registered
77 Posts
To tell you something right now, if someone starts throwing rocks at me or in pool I'm fishing cause I'm fly fishing with the only fly rod I own, which is a 9ft 8wt rod, they better damn well know how to f*kin swim.
Just because I'm fly fishing with a large fly rod does not mean I'm targetting salmon. I want salmon to return to this beautiful river as much as anybody, if I happen to hook one while fishing trout, he's getting broke off very quickly.
IMHO, this river should be fly fishing only all year long!!!
x2 O.S.E! thank you!

·
Registered
79 Posts
O.S.E. & Fieldandstream13,

Was kidding re: throwing rocks into the river, it was an attempt at humour. I apologize if you were offended.

The main point I was trying to make is there is no season for salmon on the Nashwaak, in case people are new to area or fishing, and, most importantly, there are less-evolved mouth-breathing thugs that intentionally target (or net) salmon in the Nashwaak.

I still advocate the Clouser minnows for littering tubers, however.

ww

·
Registered
30 Posts
You probably need to be up in the Crow Hill part of the Nashwaak...That's where they start to settle down on their run...
Richard - where would the Crow Hill portion of the Nashwaak be? Would it be up river from Stanely, a bit further up river by ceder bridge, up by Gorby Gulch bridge, or up even further by the old Barker Dam?
Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts