New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Newfoundland has a good tagging system. X number of tags in total but x number can be used during the summer and x during the fall. But of your x number of tags some are river specific and each river is given a class based on the amount of Salmon. This forces fishers to fish specific rivers so that no one river gets pounded.
Barbless would be good but I think CR is needed sooner than later just need to do what we can to speed things up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think it would be hard to make tags river specific. Pretty much half the province is shut down already, so that only really leaves a couple rivers left which is pretty much full already with locals. If one day the SJ river system and it's tributaries open back up, then river specific is a wonderful idea. Just my opinion.

Happy fishing tho...

·
Registered
22 Posts
RichardLyle, just wondering what your logic is on why the river specific or river classification system wouldn't work? You admit yourself that there are locals piled up on a few rivers. 8 tags is alot of fish on a few rivers, just look at the Crown Reserve retention numbers from previous years. That is what is recorded in harvest. Can you imagine what the take is on crown waters with increased pressure.

I think river specific would be a great idea. Dungarvon and Renous are (were) getting hammered by fishermen this year. This was a result of C&R regulations on the NW and LSW. I am affraid that these systems will see a big hit this year and the Dungarvon barrier count will not account for the increased retention on this system.

I didn't realise how many meat fishermen there were until this year. Giving up PRIME crown reserves, stacked 10 deep where there should have been 1 or 2 people all because in another system you can keep your 8 fish. Times need to change... 1 to 2 tags max or none (will never happen). Good news posts like this don't make up for long term declining trends. I feel sometimes it is just more of an excuse for people to keep a fish because they think things are OK.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
riverstone, i think richard was refering to how the fishers from the sw nb already have to drive for 3hrs to reach salmon fishing waters, assinging river specific tags would add further distance, greatly raising the costs and lower the numbers intested in fishing. the tags are already specific to n.b. and should be fair to everbody living here with a license.

few people fill all their tags, or any of them. for years while i couldn't fly fish i would still get a salmon license beause it made it look like more were fishing and catching less, encouraging more stocking.( i do the same with duck licenses).

personaly i'll often keep a single black salmon or land loch (don't forget, we still need tags for any land loch of grisle size, even though they are not considered "atlantic's") and maybe 1-3 others, from several rivers, which is basicly the general keep rate you are looking for (on a good year for me - last year i tagged one black salmon, one salmon/brown mix and nothing else; so far this year, no tags used). lowering the possesion rate to 4 instead of 8 would be closer to what you are looking to do, so that no one river is hit to hard.

richard, if i have this all wrong, sorry!

·
Registered
77 Posts
What should happen is that you buy a regular salmon license. 40 bucks or whatever it is today. Once you buy that you are given no tags, and if you want tags you pay a certain amount of money for each one. One tag= 20$ two tags=40$, and so on....

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
fishinnut, the idea was they gave out tags for specific rivers - it doesn't work if you get to chose, so yes, you could end up with half the tags for the bay of chaleur.
i kept a kelt to eat, my dr likes it that way. so do my artaries. not up to prime fall standards, but way better than canned.
it would be intesting tring to convince tha game warden that you were mrs. joe fisherman, that's why there's numbers on the tags. if your hereing stories of people using all there tags, instead of knowing personaly a bunch that use all their tags, i would say that means most are not using all of them. i know a lot of fishers, and not one of them uses all there tags. that may be a "distance" thing, but that's the way i see it.

fieldandstream13, i like the idea of the buy a license, add the tags. maybe give out 2? 4? with the licnse? my only concern is salmon fishing is a by no means a poor mans sport, and we would have to be carefull not to price it out of the market of the people that would actualy need the tags the most. good idea basicly though, now if we could only find a way so that the government didn't abuse it....lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
fishinnut, the idea was they gave out tags for specific rivers - it doesn't work if you get to chose, so yes, you could end up with half the tags for the bay of chaleur.
i kept a kelt to eat, my dr likes it that way. so do my artaries. not up to prime fall standards, but way better than canned.
it would be intesting tring to convince tha game warden that you were mrs. joe fisherman, that's why there's numbers on the tags. if your hereing stories of people using all there tags, instead of knowing personaly a bunch that use all their tags, i would say that means most are not using all of them. i know a lot of fishers, and not one of them uses all there tags. that may be a "distance" thing, but that's the way i see it.

fieldandstream13, i like the idea of the buy a license, add the tags. maybe give out 2? 4? with the licnse? my only concern is salmon fishing is a by no means a poor mans sport, and we would have to be carefull not to price it out of the market of the people that would actualy need the tags the most. good idea basicly though, now if we could only find a way so that the government didn't abuse it....lol
Haha. Agreed 100'/.

·
Registered
22 Posts
"...people that would actually need the tags the most." Well, no one is fishing for salmon to feed their family. Let's face it, times have changed. Even if they are lower income there are a pile of other protein sources that are way cheaper than angling for salmon. That is a cop out. So, no one NEEDS tags. People WANT tags. There should however be no double standard for recreational angling quota based on price per tag. Totally rediculous. This is how you get double standards for rich vs. poor.

We need reform. We need to go from 8 tags to 2 max. The days have gone for the hook 'n cook crowd and the quicker they switch over to practices that promote conservation, instead of pointing fingers at others, the better.

·
Registered
122 Posts
IPOP, you got my point. I couldn't afford to drive over to Boiestown every Saturday and Sunday and a couple days during the week. And even if I could, I'd be waiting in line for all the other fishermen/women. And Boiestown is the closest I can legally fish. I'd sooner see it as two tags only. None would suit me just fine because I don't eat fresh water fish, but two wouldn't hurt anyone. It would be a lot cheaper to just go buy one than to drive to some river specific area and I'm not up to that. Plus, I have talked to a lot of people who won't even trout fish the Nashwaak since they closed the St. John river and it's tributaries. (They can't afford to drive all the time) As stated before, if all rivers were open again, then perhaps there could be some type of solution as river specific...In another sence, it's always great to try different spots. I have a favorite spot, but I've yet to try the Dungarven, or Renous, not to mention up Blackville.

I can also seeing going river specific peeing off some outfitters, or even McCluskeis in Boiestown that rely on all the thru traffic to the Miramichi...

On another note. I can't see how someone can use all their tags and go purchase one in their wives name and try and get away with it...First of all, that's fraud, not to mention, you would be fishing withought a license, which is the same as poaching. If someone filled their tags, that means they love to fish and why would they take a chance at loosing all their gear, truck, and right to fish and hunt for the next say ten years??? Wardens are not that stupid to check the number from the tag to the license...That would be something fishy!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
1) You are better off eating eggs with Omega3 in them than a kelt, or that canned salmon you like so much. Kelts have very little fat content (lipid content), therefore they have very little Omega3 fatty acid which is lipid soluble. Plenty of other places to get your heart fix, and probably a pile of other sources way better than a kelt.

2)I know personally quite a few people who have consistently used all of their tags. Not friends, but people you meet on the river. If you haven't met one then you haven't looked very hard.

"...people that would actually need the tags the most." Well, no one is fishing for salmon to feed their family. Let's face it, times have changed. Even if they are lower income there are a pile of other protein sources that are way cheaper than angling for salmon. That is a cop out. So, no one NEEDS tags. People WANT tags. There should however be no double standard for recreational angling quota based on price per tag. Totally rediculous. This is how you get double standards for rich vs. poor.

We need reform. We need to go from 8 tags to 2 max. The days have gone for the hook 'n cook crowd and the quicker they switch over to practices that promote conservation, instead of pointing fingers at others, the better.
Well buddy you are the first out of about 15 people I have discussed this topic with that has disagreed with me. What's the difference between paying for tags and paying for a salmon at the grocery store? Zero! Other than if you pay for license and tags you get to enjoy the thrill of fishing for and possibly hooking a Wild Atlantic..

·
Registered
22 Posts
All I am saying is that if you want to have everyone on board with a reduction in the number of fish that could be retained, then you need to have the same number of tags across the board. It can't be a fee for tag system. Where I may agree with you is that option A) is a catch and release or conservation license that costs much less than the option B)retention license or the license with tags. The license with tags should have no more than 2 tags total. No option to buy more. Do you see the reasoning for this? I can gurantee that poaching will increase under a system that limits people to retain fish only if they have the money to pay for more tags. You can't manage a recreational fishery in this way.

·
Registered
77 Posts
depending on where you live....it's cheaper to go to the store. Your idea of purchasing tags is a good one, but there has to be a limit on the number you can purchase, and if it came to be i think you need to purchase them when you get your license. No going back later in the year to get more.
Yeah mabye a two tag limit at the time of lisense purchase.

·
Registered
77 Posts
All I am saying is that if you want to have everyone on board with a reduction in the number of fish that could be retained, then you need to have the same number of tags across the board. It can't be a fee for tag system. Where I may agree with you is that option A) is a catch and release or conservation license that costs much less than the option B)retention license or the license with tags. The license with tags should have no more than 2 tags total. No option to buy more. Do you see the reasoning for this? I can gurantee that poaching will increase under a system that limits people to retain fish only if they have the money to pay for more tags. You can't manage a recreational fishery in this way.
Yeah i agree with the cheaper h and r license and max to or three tags at time of purchase.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts