New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be boating up on the headpond early june with some friends. We were thinking about setting up some trolling rigs for while were relaxing and motoring around. typically for water that deep, for musky would you use a downrigger? if so i wonder how far down a guy would want to put the bait

We were thinking about using 2 rods, one with a downrigger and maybe a large musky lure/ spinner and then maybe trolling the top of the water wtih an eel with a seperate rod for possible stripers or whatever other monster that might be lurking in the depths of the headpond.

anyone with info/advice to help with our methods would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Dont think you will find any stripers above the dam!! The muskie success in the headpond has not been great as it doesnt get the pressure like the lower river. There are lots of big fish seen on the fishfinders suspended down as far as 60 ' so dipsey divers or downriggers would be required to reach them. I wish u good luck as I dont think many people try for deep suspended muskies. Most muskie lures dont get below 25/30 '.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i wouuld not bother with the deep water in june. try 4-12' deep. they are there, but you're best bet for a hookup would be either farther upstream or on the other side of the causway. chances are the deep fish people mark are lake trout, salmon or browns, but it MIGHT be BIG musky.

if you're looking for the chance to catch stripers fish from fredericton downstream.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Alright so maybe I should scrap the idea of targeting musky, I wonder what a good rig setup would be for trying to get at those salmon and trout? The salmon would be considered landlocked up there right? if not then i still would like to go after those big trout, ive heard theres giant browns in there. Its verrry early june we are going, the 1st-3rd

A downrigger with some sort of flasher/spoon setup?

·
Registered
184 Posts
fletcher- i dont think the salmon are considerel landlocked there. i may be wrong, but i do know they transport salmon from the base of the dam across the road in a big truck and release them on the other side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts