New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

i'm wondering if anybody out there has tried and or had any luck going after the big n toothys with the long rod?? if so what's worked as far as tactics and flies?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i`m all set up for it, but haven`t had a chance to try yet. i picked up a bunch of muskie and pike flies 2 years ago when i loaded up with striper and salmon flies. finding a reasonabley priced fly rod that can handle them was a big challenge but i got lucky and a buddy i hadn`t seen for a few years showed up and sold me his.
half of the flies for muskies are bunny flies, so you might want to start with them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Usually a 10 or 11 weight rod and line are used. This is because you are chucking around flies that are 6-12" long, with a lot of air resistance. Most fly fisherman sight fish for muskies or have positive indication that they're in the vicinity . In open water, they may troll a lure until they get some indication of a fish , then switch to a fly. Sometimes the musky can be spotted near the surface and can be sight fished. Leadersx can be heavy mono or copolymer, stainless or wire leader material ( Toothy Critter wire or plastic coated 7 strand stainless).

I suggest you Google Musky on a fly. There's lots of info out there, iuf you're willing to look for it.

Check out "SWIMTRUE" Flies on a Google search. They make Musky Flies. They cost about $20 each, but they are the Porsche of Musky and Pike Flies.

·
Registered
73 Posts
morfrost, have you been out for muskie with the fly rod? any luck?

I have been reading, googling, and getting set up since the end of last year so i feel i'm set as far as gear and research goes. I was more or less interested to hear if anybody else out there has tried and what kind of success they've had. If youre at all interested you should check out this link......its the trailer from a documentary called "zero2hero" that got me started on this

great film! anybody who fishes anything should enjoy it

there seems to be a somewhat small community of "muskie infected" fly fishermen out there and being a relatively new thing, it has me intrigued and eager to give it a try. i ordered some flies from "vermont fly guys" and this is some awesome looking stuff!, they will do custom orders and throw in bonus flies, really good fellas to deal with as well.

i am just itchin to get out on the johnny with this stuff!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was out a half-dozen times last year with a couple friends who own boats; they say it's the fish of 10,000 casts so I figure I have about 7000 left to go.

Have a 10wt rigged up for it, started tying some flies for it, too. Heck, even bought a boat for it. I don't fish for them any other way except on the fly.

Some of the flies I've started messing around with are based on Brad Bohen's patterns...Brad being one of the dudes featured in the Muskie Country video above

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wannabe,

I have just recently gotten into pike on the fly, and let me tell ya, it is a pure blast. I am home this summer and I am taking a course at UNB, so I would like to chase some Muskie on the fly around Freddy.

How similar is it to Pike on the fly? The pike up here take anything I throw at them. And there more like a fish of 10 -20 casts.

Any tips on spots and techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I was in at Fredericton Outfitters back in April and you told me about a site to look up for pike flies. Somthing like Mcguff's? I forget and I can't seem to find it on google.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Our fish like current a lot but otherwise like the same weeds/structure as muskies elsewhere. if you plan to wade you will be at the mercy of our ever changing water levels and might have trouble finding a good place to cast from.

Muskie are not nearly as easy to catch as pike, but if the muskies arent feeding there is usually a 20-25 inch chain pickerel or a good bass to give you a little excitement.

I have not yet heard of anybody catching a muskie on the fly in NB, but when i get some bigger hooks to tie onto, i'll be joining the race for first NB muskie on the fly!

i think big zonker flys should do well and up the chance of hooking into a stiper too!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a good follow from about a 40" fish last weekend with a fly which tells me im on the right track.... Been out afew time this year and im using nothing but........im going with the theory that using a fly we have the disadvantage of alot less sound and lack of eratic movement that the conventional gear has so im using 10-12" bright flys with lots of flash and tandem hooks....i figure its going to be a hard road but with a serious pay off...if they are the fish of 10000 casts ......well thats a lot of false casts! so i try to keep'em to a minimum

.good musky flys are not easy to find..believe me ive tried.....afew sites you could try are: vermont fly guys (as mentioned very cool guys and you can see on fb they fish and catch fish with the same stuff they send you) ....

Great lakes fly shop (also very easy to deal with if you make a call)

Baltic pike flys......i havnt orderd from him as hes in europe and has serious demand for his stuff....but WOW....really cool looking stuff....worth checking out just for inspiration.....

Im going to be in freddy area friday till sunday with my boat and may or may not have anybody with me...drop me a line if any of yas might be interested in meetn up and hittn the water.....i fish hard and am 100% c&r....this weather front should hopefully havem turned on but i guess ya never know with skis....

·
Registered
540 Posts
I am lookinng forward to actually getting down that way to fly fish for these big toothy critters.. when I get back from NS on the first of next month I may make some plans to head down a make a few casts from the kayak... if anyone wants to meet up and give it a go with me then maybe we can get on the books together.. I don't mind taking your pics if you are the one hookinng fish..lol..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am in Freddy for a week starting next Wednesday. Any tips on where I can go to possible catch a muskie? I don't have a boat, is that a problem? Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
79 Posts
McFluff Chucker is the dude throwing big, meaty patterns for pike overseas, his stuff would work for muskie, too. They guys in Wisconsin have it down pretty good there. Yes, they have more muskie in their water, but they still had to develop the flies & the system.

Zonkers are very good for their 'breathability.' Reverse-tying bucktail gives good volume without adding too much weight.

I have leftover flies from chasing sailfish with giant foam popper heads on size 6/0 hooks that I've thrown, too. They make a racket on the retrieve.

Still no love from muskie. Must be close to my 10,000 casts, though...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
way to bump this thread waterman....was wondering if anybody else out there was still into this........

finally got one in the boat late last year....and i bled, sweated and damn near cried on some days in my pursuit. Getting there attention was step one which took most of the season to accomplish, later in the summer i started getting more follows and eats but managed to muck them up.....i'll give four words of advice to those in pursuit....STRIP SET and STRIP SET......

I would say the pike patterns that Mcfluff are using will work if you got them right in front of a hungry fish with the right "twitches".....but even then musky are not just going to eat because they see it......they are mostly synthetic and lack the water pushing and erratic movements you get from the bigger natural patterns....they say a muskie can move from up to 30 feet in seconds to hit a bait and i just dont feel like the fish can feel those patterns moving water from that far away.....90% of the attention i got from fish was 10feet from the boat and seemingly out of nowhere.......

i actually tried some sailfish poppers and managed to move a musky with one.....he turned around and gave me the middle finger as he swam off

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
been gettn a crap load of follows and strikes lately....finally got some slime in the boat this weekend...36x16 and a 25x11. Both ate within a rods length of the boat.

cast strip strip strip pause strip strip pause wiggle wiggle strip strip strip...cast strip strip strip pause strip strip pause wiggle wiggle strip strip strip...cast strip strip strip pause strip strip pause wiggle wiggle strip strip strip...cast strip strip strip pause strip strip pause wiggle wiggle strip strip strip...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
15.5 hours on the water yesterday. with an hour till dark and nothing to show BAM fly gets inhaled by a monster.....perfect hookset and she stays deep running under the boat, i work her to the surface and shes steady at boatside. now i can see this fish is bigger than i thought. easy mid 40s and im completely at her mercy with the 11wt being tested like never before. my buddy goes in to seal the deal and halfway into the net she bolts for the depths again. i play it cool keep tension and she holds deep. then the headshakes come......line goes slack. i reel into find my fly and leader intact.

silence in the boat. keep casting

·
Registered
651 Posts
damn... well you found that the fly will get a hit. That at least is something, but I'm sure everyone on the forum has felt your pain in one way or another.

You'll get it next time!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts