New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI, I was out fishing for smallies last week and landed two Muskies, a 32" and 38" on the Washademoak Lake just up past the Cambridge-Narrows bridge

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
they are getting around. i wonder how far down they will go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my question is , if you were fishing smallies, I'd like to know the Lbs test of your line, I want to fish muskie but not too sure with my 20Lbs test berkley big game?

·
Registered
428 Posts
You should use at least 50lb braided line if you are going after musky. Most experienced guys probably go with at least 65-100lb braid. You can definitely land a musky of any size on 20lb mono or less, but you may loose some fish and lures if the variables aren't in your favor. Your line has to give you good casting distance, capacity on your reel, resistance to breakage should you get a backlash or tangle (with a 1-8ounce lure) and one that you have confidence in when fighting that big fish allowing you to properly play the fish and bring it to the boat in a timely manner. .Playing a big fish on light line can often kill them from exhaustion or end up leaving them with a big lure stuck in their mouth and possibly kill them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok Thank you, I am mainly a bass and pickerel fisher, and my rod are bass rod as well, I have to talk to my brother about that, he is gonna be interested by muskie fishing as well. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My neighbor caught a 30-ish inch muskie around the mouth of the washademoak (where it meets Colwells creek) in August. I haven't caught one yet in the area, but I haven't targeted them either.......I guess we'll see what this summer brings.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts