New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming back from the Upsalquitch last week and came down the 105 through Bath. There were about 5 or 6 guys lined up at the Mouth of the Monquart fishing and another half dozen watching from the road. That many fishermen mean they are catching fish, anyone care to confirm?

A very good friend of mine from Bath told me of a gentlemen that caught (and kept) a nice grisle somewhere below the dam on the Monquart. Surprised to hear the fish went up the stream but I suppose it was seeking relief from the warmer river water.

I was also told that the serpentine salmon barrier got washed out in the big rain storm of two weeks ago. I son't know how many were behind the fence but they will get no protection now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have fished there a few times this year. They are catching a few grilse and rainbow, even the odd salmon. Not allowed to keep any grilse there and the DFO watch it on a regular basis so someone is taking a big risk. People are there for more of a social thing at that pool than because of a lot of fish. One of the wardens said he has watched them from the road several evenings and hadn't seen any fish landed when he has been watching. I haven't seen any caught when I was there but have heard of a few. Personally I wouldn't fish there again, lots of better options around with less fisherman.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lots of fish there to be caught if you have the right fly, But fishing is all done there as of July 25, 2010. Yeah those people keeping the fish are just selfish!!!!!! Maybe if it was patrolled more we would be able to fish there all year. There is more than just salmon in the river!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wasn't at the Monquart but was at the Shiktehawk 5-6 times over the past week. There were fish all over the place. There were fish being caught every time I was there (by everyone but me). I did manage to catch two grilse there on Sunday night. I guess if you go enough it will pay off eventually. They had also been catching a lot of big rainbows out of the pool as well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I remember that spot when I was a kid. My grandmother lived right across from there so I fished all the time. Hooked a very nice trout just bellow the bridge...I never knew I was not aloud spin gear. I got that fish three times on the shore and did not know how to get a hold of it...But I do remember specifically using a worm the first time, lost it, wouldn't bite again, so I switched to a red devil, hooked it, on the shore again, lost it...It wouldn't bite again, and for the third time, I switched to a yellow Crappy Tire fly with a weight on it, casted it to the exact same spot as before, hooked it, got it on the shore, and lost it. (All in a period of a day and a half) Now, as a kid, you can imagine how excited one would be trying to get a hold of this flopping fish. Experience would be to have a net now a days, because it was a big fish...I was in grade five or six. I do remember this guy Joey Wright who lived right there and took me all the time and he never came out of that pool at the mouth of the stream withought a salmon or a grilse...(Back then you could) Whoever started this thread, thank you. It brought up a lot of memories, and that's where it all really started with me and fly fishing...Watching Joey Wright (RIP) fishing the mouth of the Monquart...(I actually thought it was Monquawk) Or maybe that is the Bath lingo...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts