New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard and read a lot about the moon and its affect on the salmon and other fish. Any opinions (or scientific results) on this subject?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have always found that the biggest salmon runs fall around the full moon. When I apply for CROWN RESERVE I try to schedule around the June full moon!

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I lived home in Newfoundland a few of us had an annual, remote canoe fishing trip for two or three weeks, and we would always time the start of the trip to be a day or two after a full moon (typically early July). We were about 30 kilometers from the ocean. Prior to the full moon, you could stand on the highway bridge entering the town (where the river meets the ocean) and witness literally thousands of salmon in huge schools swimming back and forth in the estuary (it often made CBC local news, etc.) but after the full moon the numbers would thin out considerably. So we figured that was pretty good tangible evidence that full moon = highest tide = fish get moving. Then again, when isn't early July good for salmon fishing! Don't you just love the mystery of it all!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts