New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It got deleted. When is the tournament again? And do you have any more details about it?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i`m pretty sure they said the first weekend in june. i think you are double booked Flyakfisher. lol, worst things can happen than too many places to go fishing!!

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ipop, do you mean the Sheet Harbour tourney on June 2, or the Paddlers Fishing Derby on June 9? Because if the shad tourney is on June 2, I'll go to that as opposed to driving to Sheet Harbour. You should come. It was a blast last year!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i was thinking sheet harbour. i was planing on going last year but it conflicted with something else. hopefully i will make it this year. did you fish it from shore or the kayak?

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sished the shad tourney from kayak. Bring an anchor if you go.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am planning to fish shad for the first time at the derby this year in my kayak. What size (Oz) shad darts work best for spin gear?

·
Registered
260 Posts
The Date has been Finalized for this years Monte Farrel Memorial Shad Derby, it is JUNE 9, 2012. We are working on events hopefully for Friday night prior to Saturdays Derby. Remember we are planning to Limit the entries to 50 particpants so we can plan our events
. We tried to plan it so all that wants to partipate can, but we had to Choose a Date that works for most and the best possible fishing Conditions. I will try to answer any Questions related to the Derby and Shad fishing if there is some with questions.

Also this year we have confirmed a opened camp ground and trailer park right on the river . Also any one looking to book a Hotel room there is a very good spot to stay right in the Village, if camping is not your cup of Tea.

Lets start with the question of What wt of shad darts to look for , I would try to find the lightest darts avalable , as you can always add split shot wt as water conditions Change ! If the water is on the high side the larger wts maybe just be the right trick for the day but hay, you all know how fishing goes and we all need excusses.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ah that date sucks for us kayak anglers. We have a tournement scheduled for that saturday (NB Paddlers Derby) on french lake out back of oromocto. Maybe next year then. This doesnt mean I am not going to get rigged up with shad darts to go after them once the run starts. I'll pick up some different sized darts and hope for the best. I am assuming anything bright will do the trick. Thanks for the update and info.

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah that date sucks for us kayak anglers. We have a tournement scheduled for that saturday (NB Paddlers Derby) on french lake out back of oromocto. Maybe next year then. This doesnt mean I am not going to get rigged up with shad darts to go after them once the run starts. I'll pick up some different sized darts and hope for the best. I am assuming anything bright will do the trick. Thanks for the update and info.
Yep, that date definitely sucks! I was planning on going to the shad tourney again this year, but if I have to chose between the two, as a kayak angler I have to go with the Paddler's Derby. Hopefully next year the dates won't collide.

·
Registered
260 Posts
  • Where: Salmon River
  • When: Saturday June 9[sup]th[/sup] , 2012
  • Breakfast: Queens County Inn 9 A.M 11:0 a.m.
  • Prizes: 100% Cash payout 1[sup]s t[/sup] -2[sup]nd[/sup] - 3[sup]rd[/sup] -4[sup]th [/sup] and 5 th
  • Designated Waters , From the Mouth of Little Forks to Rte # 10 Salmon River Bridge Chipman
  • Fly ,Spinning and Bait casting Rods are only means of Capture.
  • Prize of Spring salmon fishing (Spring 2013) sponsored by the Ledges Inn Doaktown
  • Limited to First 50 entries only
  • Tournament Hours from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. all participants must be registered by 12 p.m. June 9[sup]th[/sup], 2011
  • 1 cash Prize per participant
  • Entry Fee $20.00 breakfast included

Register at Goodwin fly shop or by Contacting Ralph Goodwin (327 6231) or Sam Daigle 385 2298

The Prizes amount to be determined by the Number of Entries. Only 1 Cash prize per entry. Fish to be registered by Weight Only up to and including two fish will qualify. Weigh in 8 p.m. Sharp.

Come out and Enjoy a day of Shad Fishing

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well they are indeed in the River, and Ralph as far as I know Landed the first one of this Year! Some of you are Probally wonder what all the Hipe is about Shad Fishing , It is Simple they are great Fun to fish, and when hooked they put up a Heck of a Tussel. Here a few Pics. We Landed 4 and seen a fiar amount more for this time of Year.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Old Guide - any favourite colours to recommend for shad darts on that river?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Really there are so few dart fisherman I could count on 1 hand all I seen caught with darts , the few I did see are the red and white variety, we need you experienced darts guide to set us straitght

·
Registered
67 Posts
So, are you guys fishing from the banks? I really want to get into this, but have little knowledge about where to go. Got darts, but no boat. Any help?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Right now it is no problem to fish from Shore . I have been up doing so with Ralph a couple times this week. Lost of fish there, and it will stay that way for a while. The commerical guys are telling us that the Run in Grand Lake is a Bumper Year, they are Tossing Back Hundreds out of the trap Nets set for Gaspereau when they fish the Nets.

Appleman I have not fished that exact spot for Shad , but years ago where the Gaspereau enters into Salmon river was a Great Salmon Pool. It surly is worth a Try.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here are the Winners from the 2012 Mont Farrel Shad Derby. Congradualtaions Guy`s

From Right to Left

1 Mike Boudreau
2 Ralph Goodwin
3 Emery Vinneau
4 Robert Daigle
5 Gereoge Collette

1 - 20 of 40 Posts