New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

Should the Miramichi Striped Bass Season Be Opened?

• Yes, to catch & release only

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No, keep it closed

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Yes, and allow retention of striped bass

Votes: 4 50.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darrenfromthechi, on 28 June 2011 - 04:23 PM, said:

OK guys time to cool it down a notch haha...Anyways Big Fish I am one of those guys who can not keep those bass off even though I am fishing trout. And don't be fooled. We have caught numerous bass for about a month now. There are so many that the majority are schoolies but there are many big bass in the 30 lbs range being caught as well.

The turnaround on this fish is absolutely incredible. This river just seems to be so much better sense the mills closed. JUST SAYING!!!

By the sounds of things, the Miramichi is comparable to the great striper rivers of the US in terms of numbers of fish. I've talked to yanks who are surprised we even have any amount of stripers up this way and some are actually planning trips just to fish stripers in Canada. I can't see why doesn't the DNRE open it up to C&R. Are they waiting until the river is polluted with them so they can justify a commercial fishery or for them to get diseased and have a population crash? I'd like to see a hard number at which the population is considered fully rebounded to an acceptable level for opening of a season. Atlantic salmon would have the same protection or more if they weren't the major tourist/recreation draw for the area.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Feel free to post any information, fishing stories or personal views regarding Striped Bass in the Miramichi Rivers and coastal areas of the Gulf of St Lawrence.

here's a variety of links about stripers in the 'chi.

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/article/1085193
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/sports/article/1066118
http://www.mreac.org/stripedbass.html
www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas/Csas/status/1996/SSR_1996_012_e.pdf
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=74984151991&topic=7827
www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Csas-sccs/publications/sar-as/.../2011_014-eng.pdf

interesting facts grabbed from some of these sites:

Site selection for overwintering appears to be opportunistic, and largely dependent on their geographic location at the onset of winter (Bradford and Chaput 1996), such that Miramichi-spawning fish do not necessarily return to the Miramichi before winter (Bradford et al. 1995a; Bradford and Chaput 1996).

DFO estimates illegal fishing accounts for 55% of striped bass mortality, recreational fishing 14% and native fishing at 5%. They say commercial fishing related mortality is less important. Young of the year captured in the smelt fishery is estimated at between 40,000-100,00. Mortality can be as high as 100%. 100 out of 1000 YOY striped bass will reach spawning age.

There may be a magic number for recovery. 21,600-31,200 spawners by 2015

·
Registered
67 Posts
The document actually shows that the population of spawners has been higher then 30,000 in some of the past years...just not consistent. The commercial fishery is DFO's second importance as it is not considered a sport fish. Also the numbers of mortality to illegal fishing is an observation estimate by DFO. The other factor is that observation of a strong breeding population has been observed on the South West Miramichi (these numbers are not considered cause they are not part of the observed population on the North West Miramichi). As well as many Young of Year being caught in the Tabusintac river is a strong indication of another separate bre
Breeding population.
They are there in healthy numbers for many reasons but we need to keep them that way.
DFO's priority, Recovery, Aboriginal Fishery, Commercial, then recreational...
My 2 cents

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm thinking of recording the weight and length of all striped bass that I "by-cathch" this season. Was out 2 weeks ago around the Miramichi for trout and got 8 bass, 0 trout. The bass ranged from 12 to 22 inches. First 2 casts I had a bass on in seconds. Seen a few angry trout anglers too...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts