New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, just a quick question. Is Mclaughlin Res open for fishing? Not now I mean during season. Just read a post saying it is Monctons secondary water supply, and if I got my info straight. Its a no no to fish any water supply.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Unless there is a city bylaw that prohibits fishing, it should be allowed as long as there are not "no trespassing" signs. Even with no trespassing signs, I wonder if they are truly "legal" since it is public property. Signs will not stop anyone with devious intentions concerning the water quality. I've gotten unstraight answers regarding clarifications of fishing regulations in the past and I wouldn't doubt there could be some misleading answers given by city officials and DNR to stop anyone from trying to legally fish water supply lakes. Call around and try to talk to the higher ups, not the low man on the totem pole as they will almost always dismiss your question as quickly as possible.

The City of Saint John allows access from the roadside at the end of Loch Lomond, but no trespassing on Spruce...hmm. Might as well allow access on Spruce, hell charge everyone $50 for a pass and use of a City owned launch for no motorized water craft! I'd pay it if the fishing is as good as some say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Twinfan. Permitted Activities Within Protected Area Zone A. Undertake boating and fishing in non-motorized watercraft. NICE. Think I'll try the shallows around the res once it's permitted.

·
Registered
888 Posts
This will only serve to muddy the waters even more, but here's some info you really should consider.
1 - a city bylaw prohibits fishing there.
2 - provincial laws take precedence over city bylaws, ie, a city bylaw cannot prohibit things that are allowed under provincial legislation (generally.)
3 - this area MIGHT be also protected from certain human activities IF it has been declared a wellfield protection area under provincial legislation. (I don't know if it has.)
I know, I know. This doesn't help clarify things at all. It's just some info that you should be aware of before walking into a city reservoir and casting a line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts