New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I was trying to get on manzers.net today and can't does anyone else have this problem or know if it is shut down ?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This maybe pre mature, but if ppl. are gonna down load these maps and alter them, and try to sell the altered version it brings a new level of hiprocrisity ! I can see why it was shut down; if that is even the case ! I hope this isn't the problem sad thing is I have seen maps that were altered on this mans work so much easier with GPS and Google but please don't let this go it is a starting point for anyone wanting to explore our rivers. His intentions was to show how much public waters are availible to us and if things changed then pick up a phone or ask. To map out a River and have it altered might cause a law suit ! Please promote the site but not for profit !! FYI I'm just a user of the site and yes have printed maps to get me to where I was going.

·
Banned
65 Posts
The guy that has the maps went out on his own time and gathered these maps up from various people and scanned them for people to use. They have been up for several years so Maybe he's just tired of keeping the site up. For anybody that thinks they are public domain go to DNR and ask for a copy of them. I'm sure they probably can't get you a copy because they don't have them. Which is typical for this backwards province. To be honest its a shame that there are not maps of all the major salmon rivers similiar to the one the musuem did on the main river. For all the money that is spent in this province on fishing and the laws saying where you can and can't fish that we don't have a decent/up-todate set of maps showing what is private,open water or closed for conservation. I'd take it a set futher that the outfitters owning water or anyone using their raperian right to make money should be the ones to pay for the set-up and cost of generating these maps with the government paying the small amount to have copies printed year after year as they sell out.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The guy that has the maps went out on his own time and gathered these maps up from various people and scanned them for people to use. They have been up for several years so Maybe he's just tired of keeping the site up. For anybody that thinks they are public domain go to DNR and ask for a copy of them. I'm sure they probably can't get you a copy because they don't have them. Which is typical for this backwards province. To be honest its a shame that there are not maps of all the major salmon rivers similiar to the one the musuem did on the main river. For all the money that is spent in this province on fishing and the laws saying where you can and can't fish that we don't have a decent/up-todate set of maps showing what is private,open water or closed for conservation. I'd take it a set futher that the outfitters owning water or anyone using their raperian right to make money should be the ones to pay for the set-up and cost of generating these maps with the government paying the small amount to have copies printed year after year as they sell out.
You are 100% right if people don't want us fishing or even looking at waters that are private because you are scouting a river make a map. At least manzer gave a fellow an idea of what was public things have changed over the years and he even states that, the maps are old but still a good resource, in todays methods of scouting rivers I'm sure if there are private waters on certain rivers make it previous knowledge before the angler get's there it's not rocket science! But to use these maps and alter them is wrong.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I contacted one of the guys on the site here who knows the fellow that operates the manzer site. He said he forwarded an email to him to advise site was down. Hopefully should be back up shortly

·
Banned
65 Posts
Dave,

Maybe the maps could be posted some where on this site for users to download. Would be a good addition to the site.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Guys, this is what Manzer emailed me yesterday.

"Wow, people notice that fast. I am upgrading a blog on it and I have
backed it all up in case something goes wrong. It took a bit more
time that I expected. It will be up soon.
"
Laurie

So if things aren't online right now they should be within a few days. His intent was to upgrade things a bit not to take it down permanately.

Bill G.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
hopefully it will be back up soon so we can all access it. there is an outfitters in bathurst that had a map book showing all the private waters etc. in the miramichie system, i wonder if it was one of these? i would have picked it up, but it was a bit pricey there, and i had already dropped a bundle on river walking boots for me and my nephew. map books new and old are very handy. the old roads often become trails while the new ones can be indespencable to get you there.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Guys, this is what Manzer emailed me yesterday.

"Wow, people notice that fast. I am upgrading a blog on it and I have
backed it all up in case something goes wrong. It took a bit more
time that I expected. It will be up soon.
"
Laurie

So if things aren't online right now they should be within a few days. His intent was to upgrade things a bit not to take it down permanately.

Bill G.
Thanks for the update Bill! there certainly are a few of us putting those maps to good use, definitely appreciated that he's pulled them together over the years... i'm certain there's more than a few man hours into collecting them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I collected the maps when I lived in Ontario by asking other anglers to mail me photocopies of thier map books. Many anglers did and I assisted Manzer with scanning them and we made a CD at the time and put them up on his site. I mailed all the people who sent me maps a copy of the CD. I think that I half drove him crazy proof reading the website getting the map key to correspond with the correct map. There is a new map of the main river (10-12 years old) that the Salmon museum made and sell and at the time they had said that they were going to do the same for other rivers not sure if they ever did. The intention is to keep the maps on his website and available for free for anyone to use.

Bill G.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I didn't realize you were involved too Bill, perhaps you told me already but seems I had forgotten. Thanks for collecting maps and assisting with the project!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts