New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I really want to try some Mackerel and flounder fishing. What are the best tides, etc, to fish Mackerel and flounder? What are some of the best rigs for fishing mackerel? What do most people use for bait?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I really want to try some Mackerel and flounder fishing. What are the best tides, etc, to fish Mackerel and flounder? What are some of the best rigs for fishing mackerel? What do most people use for bait?
I have never fish flounder but my friend is using shrimps to catch them. Just let the shrimp fall on the bottom and wait for a flounder to bite!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have never fish flounder but my friend is using shrimps to catch them. Just let the shrimp fall on the bottom and wait for a flounder to bite!
ive allways had good luck using seaworms for flounder ..got 21 of them last week ....and as for mackeral they sell mackeral rigs at any fishing supply store but ppl buy them up when they start running good ..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too would love to know some more information on fishing for Mackerel and Flounder... I live in Miramichi.... does anyone know where I could go to try catching some?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the standard flounder rig is a snelled hook with a small yellow plactic bead that slides up and down on it. bait the hook (almost anything works, even crawlers and artifical baits like yum, gulp and power bait). they steal the bait often, i think that`s why the yellow bead - so that there is always something that looks like bait on the rig. use a simple weight or a jig head to take it down to the bottom, then work it so that it just kisses the bottom. lift the rod often - it`s the easiest way to hookup. flounder stay at about the same water depth, so they move in and out with the tides. they also play king of the hill, so fish any humps for bigger numbers. flounder also spoils very easily, so take ice with you or have it ready when you land, or they quickly go bad.

about the sea/sand worms. i believe you actualy need a license for them this year in the bay of fundy. i don`t know if it`s just for commercial harvesting or what. i know several people are complaining about it. it`s cheap ( i hear $8), through the fed dfo...and i have no idea if they even know about it localy, or which office to get it from, or heard of anybody that has actualy bought it... anybody? so for now, i`m not using the sea worms untill i get some answers. regular crawlers works to (not as well as the sea worms - maybe they are crashing in numbers in the bay?) any bait disappears fast if they are there.

smelts and macks will often hit the rig on the way down.

as for mackerel, there are tons of lures and rigs out there. for rigs, i like the feather and tube style rig, with several "feather" baits (simple flies really) with either a weight, jig head or "mackerel lure" at the end for weight. the tube rig is the same with tubes and tinsel insteasd of feathers. even a hook, foil and pieces of bass worm works.
for mackerel lures, everybody has their favorite. they all are heavy, almost always made of lead. the most popular colors are greens and blues, followed by pinks and purples. work the water column, pumping the rod, small lifts of the rod, or troll it - the macks will let you know what is working. a lot of people verticaly jig them - this isn`t trying to "jig" and foul hook them, this is a jigging/thrumming motion so that the lures, rigs etc. flutters down then lifts, then flutters down again.
macks often come into shore on high tide - the water is then deep enough. they also have a 5pm bite for some reason, no matter what the tide is.
mackerel are very messy to fish, so be sure to clean up your boat afterwards if you are not wharf fishing.

both species likes from 8 to 16 feet of water, and will move constantly to stay in about that range. they are a ball from the kayak!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts