New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I saw a thread about this in the past but searched and couldnt find it,so forgive me if a repeat.

I am looking for some good rivers or brooks to wade that are remote and long enough to spend the day fishing then pitch a tent and fish back the next day.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rather catch him five times than eat him once.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
For something like that, you might have to look into Crooked Creek. I've never fished it, but some folks on here have, and might be able to tell you more about it. I'd be interested in something like that too.
The Hammond River is really good wading and flyfishing, but isn't remote at all, nor is there really any good camping spots. Maybe even Salmon River in Fundy National Park, but I'm not sure what the regulations are for that river. You'd have to look into it.The Kouchibouguac is relly good wading and is more remote, but I'm not sure about camping there with all the bears.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Stroover...i have seen the discussions about Crooked and looking on the map it looks like there are some remote areas just not sure about finding access spots. Will look into Salmon River...and ya may pass on the woods with known heavy bear populations.... fly rod does offer much protection there..lol

·
Registered
492 Posts
The Keswick River might fit your bill. It's a pretty little river, that I've heard has trout in it early in the season. I've only ever fished it once, and didn't have any success, but it was a very pretty and enjoyable day regardless. The water was crystal clear, cool, and you could wade up it most places. We did see some fish and a lot of eels. Perhaps others can speak on when it is good to fish it (or perhaps not).

It turns fly fishing only I believe July 1st, and my 1 trip was just before then (I didn't have a fly rod - nor really any idea what I was doing either).

I can't tell you if there are good camping spots up the river, as I didn't get up that far, but it looks like it is remote enough. We ended our hike up close to where it starts to get more remote.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Salmon River would be a good one, it has rainbows in it and it runs through some pretty nice country.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
besides the others suggestions i would take a look at Lepreaux River. fairly remote although there can be a lot of people on it at times (yes, some bears too...). it`s plenty long enough for a days walk with lots of places to set up a little tent for the night. there are lots of lakes along the way for side trips too. some say it has the best tasting brookies in nb.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I can vouch for the Lepreau, beautiful river with some beautiful and very tasty trout in it, although ive found the trout to be rather picky sometimes, on particualr time i fished it just above the falls they wouldnt touch anything not even worms, started throwing a smoke coloured micro twister tail and ended up with a limit of fresh run trout within an hour...might have had something to do with them being filled up on glass eels, and not interested at all in anything else, but they sure wanted those grubs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts