New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a speargun. Just wondering if anyone has one or knows where to buy them around here. Ordering off the Internet is my last resort. Let me know!!

Also, I am fully aware of the rules and laws regarding spearguns. So no need to post.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last time I checked they were illegal in Canada. They're even prohibited to have in your possession. That's probably why you cannot find any around here.
"Spear Fishing

Spear fishing is prohibited by the Yukon, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Parks Canada (Table 2). New Brunswick prohibits the use of spears to land a fish caught by angling, and prohibits the possession of a jigging device or spear in inland waters. Quebec also no longer prohibits spear fishing but allows it in some areas or for some species only. The remaining jurisdictions permit spear fishing in some areas or for some species."

you are permitted to own a speargun, and use in tidal and blue water. don't worry I don't plan on spearing brook tout with it, haha.

·
Registered
149 Posts
"Spear Fishing

Spear fishing is prohibited by the Yukon, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Parks Canada (Table 2). New Brunswick prohibits the use of spears to land a fish caught by angling, and prohibits the possession of a jigging device or spear in inland waters. Quebec also no longer prohibits spear fishing but allows it in some areas or for some species only. The remaining jurisdictions permit spear fishing in some areas or for some species."

you are permitted to own a speargun, and use in tidal and blue water. don't worry I don't plan on spearing brook tout with it, haha.
brownman don't worry a lot of guys on here like to make up laws because they think it right.....lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am looking to buy a speargun. Just wondering if anyone has one or knows where to buy them around here. Ordering off the Internet is my last resort. Let me know!!

Also, I am fully aware of the rules and laws regarding spearguns. So no need to post.
I have one I may be willing to sell, whats it worth to you? Make me an offer.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just don't spear lobsters... I heard it from a person that did it and got caught! I also know a native who shoots salmon from his deck with a bow and arrow that has a reel on it. Hell of a lot better than throwing a gillnet out to me.

I've seen them for sale before second hand and if I remember, there are just a sling shot on a pole with a release trigger. I wouldn't doubt you could rig one up yourself easily with a sling shot elastic. From what I've watched on the net, the pros get very close before making the shot and thats with the best gear.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
"Spear Fishing

Where did you get THAT information from? That's news to me (I'm not saying you're lying or anything, it's just news to me!) Yep, spear fishing is not as easy as it seems. We used to do it in Louisiana, and as Bigfish1 says, you've gotta get real close to your target for the shot, or hide among oil platform pilliars like we did and shoot them as they come by. But you've gotta be REAL close for the shot. A pneumatic gun works better then the other ones and are much cheaper. Yes, you could rig one yourself, but slingshot rubber won't be sturdy enough. You need something with bigger guage for the thrust in water.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its a Scubapro. The Spear measures 2 feet 9 inches. I just posted a pict in the gallery. Not the best pict but I think it will give you a good idea of what it is. Its in like new condition.
thanks so much for posting the pic. looks pretty badass.
i'm not good at making offers, and wouldn;t want to insult you. So question is how much would you like for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Brownman, just wondering if you know of any good spots in NB to go spearfishing, I lived in SASK for a few years and i used to spearfish there all the time . would love to get back into it if you know of good spots.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey molson, i didn't end up getting into spear fishing around here. came to the conclusion that the water in most areas was too murky. decided to just try and do it on vacations.
i did in my search however come across a lot of DIY spear gun projects that looked pretty solid.
best of luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i got the gun and all the gear ,just havent used them in a few years. But if i ever do find a good spot i'll keep ya posted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts