New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals,,I moved to Dieppe almost 2 years now,,never wet a hook,i'm a comercial fisherman and i guess you can say i'm hooked,,lol i don't have much time home but when i'm home I love to fish and haven't had the time or didn't know where to try,,this winter i have some free time,,now all i need is a fishin buddie or some1 to at least stear me in the right direction for a spot to catch a fish,,i love trout fishin but this time of year i would love to try for some smelts,,any info would be great,,,thankz in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi guys and gals,,I moved to Dieppe almost 2 years now,,never wet a hook,i'm a comercial fisherman and i guess you can say i'm hooked,,lol i don't have much time home but when i'm home I love to fish and haven't had the time or didn't know where to try,,this winter i have some free time,,now all i need is a fishin buddie or some1 to at least stear me in the right direction for a spot to catch a fish,,i love trout fishin but this time of year i would love to try for some smelts,,any info would be great,,,thankz in advance.
Its hard to believe that i posted this a couple days ago and no1 responded,,lots of views but no resonse,i heard about this site being a great site,,hmmm its got me thinking now,,maybe i wasted my time to register,,or is every one just to scared to make a new friend,,cheers

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi,my nane is Joe and if you like to try the Grand Lake area this summer or in the spring be more then glad to take ya out , also not that far to Saint John river also we could give that ago to

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,my nane is Joe and if you like to try the Grand Lake area this summer or in the spring be more then glad to take ya out , also not that far to Saint John river also we could give that ago to
thanks Joe,,that would be great,,what kind of fish do you catch there,,i never fished for anything besides Trout and salmon,but would love to try my luck at any kind of species,,i'm hooked

·
Registered
315 Posts
Its hard to believe that i posted this a couple days ago and no1 responded,,lots of views but no resonse,i heard about this site being a great site,,hmmm its got me thinking now,,maybe i wasted my time to register,,or is every one just to scared to make a new friend,,cheers
Dont be too quick to judge , the site is great and there lots of great friendly people here. You will not find better people then maritimers !! Its not a very big site but thats good we dont want everyone to know our fishing spots LOL ... Once the ice is gone and the weather gets better , and the rivers and lakes open for the season you will see the site really jumpin..
Probably the easiest way to get some fishing partners is to get involved with us Striper addicts... Theres lots of guys and gals here that fish striper , especially here in Saint John ... Theres lots of places to fish from shore, 24 hours a day to catch em .. So its not hard finding someone to Hook up with ..

Theres lots of info on here and always someone planning something.. This has been a bad winter as well .. I personally can atest to that... My ice fishing season was derailed by ,IMO, bad ice . So I havent been as active on the site as usual..I find when im gettng out fishing alot im more active on the site.. Anyone else find that ?

So dont worry you will be just fine !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i didn;t think i was quick to judge ,just that for a true fisherman,,i would at least think that no matter what time of year it is theres always the dedicated ones that come by the site to check up on thing like the topic i started and other topics as well,,sorry if you think that i was judgeing this site as being a poor site,,just disapointed in the feed back,,thats all,,if fishing is in your blood ,time of year don,t meen nothing,theres always time to come to a site that you can call home and check for a post that maybe you or another member can help a fellow fisherman out or just make a post and say hi and post feedback on what lakes are safe or anything involved with fishing NB.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sorry for taking so long to answer . You can get,perch white and yellow, strippers if you hit it right, pickerel ,sunfish, white fish, chub ,bass. I think that covers it , there's always a surprise

·
Registered
122 Posts
Big Rat. There really is no easy way to just get a "fishing buddy" Perhaps your approach should of asked for locations instead of expecting someone to welcome you with arms wide open...I'm sure you need tackle, so personally, that would be a great start to find locations. If your serious about fishing, then you will spend many hours by yourself on the water and meet people that way. If your like me, if it aint shop talk, it's fish talk and sooner or later, someone will bite and give it a try. Be patient. A lot of these guy's are all set up, experienced enough and tell their stories as they happen. So, bashing the site probably isn't the best way to handle your frustrations. This isn't an online dating site and people would get offended very quickly wondering, "who the hell is this guy" Be patient, and just pick up a rod, reel, what ever makes you happy and dream of the days to come.

Piece...

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Hey Big Rat. When I first moved here, I was in the same situation as yourself. I ended up writing this article explaining how I took matters in my own hands:

How to find good fishing spots.
Have you ever asked this question: "Can you tell me where's a good spot to fish?", and never get a straight answer? There's a reason for that. Most anglers are reluctant to give away their honey holes for obvious reasons. Perhaps they don't want their favorite spot over-run by anglers, or maybe they get disgusted at the sight of litter (i.e.- worm tubs, lure wrappers, beer cans, etc) on the way to or at their secret spot. Be it online or at your local pub, it would seem you could ask that question until the cows came home and would still not get an answer. So, I'm going to show you how to take matters into your own hands. I'm going to tell you how to get started in the art of finding your own honey holes.

First off, you want to get your hands on a topographic map of your area. A quick Google search can usually help you find good free ones. You will want to look for places where a topographic line crosses a river, a stream, or a brook. This will indicate a possible sudden drop in elevation, signalling the beginning of a rapid and a likely pool at the end of the rapid (a "pool" is a depression caused by eyons of erosion).

Now that you have located a potential hot spot, you will want to put technology into good use. You will want to try to the best of your abilities to find this spot on Google Earth, and then look at the bottom of your screen to see its coordinates. Write these down, or type them directly into your gps. Next, look around in Google Earth to find the nearest road leading as close as possible to the target area, because after all, the less portageing you have to do with your kayak, the better, right?. This is where a Backwoods Mapbook comes in handy, if you can find one for your area.

Your last step is to pack up your gear and go try out your new potential honey hole. When I first moved to this area in 2002, I had no idea where to go fishing, much less kayak fishing, and I found the locals to not be overly helpful, likely for reasons listed above. I have found probably over 90% of my honey holes this way. If you do your homework and attempt this method, you will find that most of your newfound honey holes are already known by many anglers, with trails leading up to them. The thing is, they would have probably never told you where they were, but now you know. The beauty of it is, while they're on the banks wishing they could just cast that extra 20 feet, there you are anchored in your kayak just reeling them in.

Now, with great power comes great responsibility, so remember to practice CPR (catch/photograph/release), otherwise with this great weapon of yours, you could devastate the fishery forever.

Tight lines!

Stroover

You can read the original article I wrote here:
http://www.kayakanglermag.com/forum/6-general-discussion/4706-how-to-find-good-fishing-spots.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Big Rat. When I first moved here, I was in the same situation as yourself. I ended up writing this article explaining how I took matters in my own hands:

How to find good fishing spots.
Have you ever asked this question: "Can you tell me where's a good spot to fish?", and never get a straight answer? There's a reason for that. Most anglers are reluctant to give away their honey holes for obvious reasons. Perhaps they don't want their favorite spot over-run by anglers, or maybe they get disgusted at the sight of litter (i.e.- worm tubs, lure wrappers, beer cans, etc) on the way to or at their secret spot. Be it online or at your local pub, it would seem you could ask that question until the cows came home and would still not get an answer. So, I'm going to show you how to take matters into your own hands. I'm going to tell you how to get started in the art of finding your own honey holes.

First off, you want to get your hands on a topographic map of your area. A quick Google search can usually help you find good free ones. You will want to look for places where a topographic line crosses a river, a stream, or a brook. This will indicate a possible sudden drop in elevation, signalling the beginning of a rapid and a likely pool at the end of the rapid (a "pool" is a depression caused by eyons of erosion).

Now that you have located a potential hot spot, you will want to put technology into good use. You will want to try to the best of your abilities to find this spot on Google Earth, and then look at the bottom of your screen to see its coordinates. Write these down, or type them directly into your gps. Next, look around in Google Earth to find the nearest road leading as close as possible to the target area, because after all, the less portageing you have to do with your kayak, the better, right?. This is where a Backwoods Mapbook comes in handy, if you can find one for your area.

Your last step is to pack up your gear and go try out your new potential honey hole. When I first moved to this area in 2002, I had no idea where to go fishing, much less kayak fishing, and I found the locals to not be overly helpful, likely for reasons listed above. I have found probably over 90% of my honey holes this way. If you do your homework and attempt this method, you will find that most of your newfound honey holes are already known by many anglers, with trails leading up to them. The thing is, they would have probably never told you where they were, but now you know. The beauty of it is, while they're on the banks wishing they could just cast that extra 20 feet, there you are anchored in your kayak just reeling them in.

Now, with great power comes great responsibility, so remember to practice CPR (catch/photograph/release), otherwise with this great weapon of yours, you could devastate the fishery forever.

Tight lines!

Stroover

You can read the original article I wrote here:
http://www.kayakanglermag.com/forum/6-general-discussion/4706-how-to-find-good-fishing-spots.html
Thanks for all your help guys,,and i didn't think i was bashing the tread,,that being said ,,i have started this thread,2nd,,i have found a buddie that stepped up to the plate and took me as his fishing friend,,i have been a commercial fisherman for almost 30 years,and i know what your all saying about honey holes and fisherman kinda keeping them to their selves,I in no way intend on cleaning the brookes and lakes dyr of fish,,i'm into it for relaxation ,,maybe take a feed home,,but probably not,,just hook and release,sorry if you guys think that i came in here sounding like i wanted to take over the world but thats not the way it is,,only out for a good time and meet new people,,i'm not a young punk trying to impress any1,i'm just a old time fisherman who loves to fish

Peace

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey big brat im new to the area as well and living not far from Dieppe just off of Elmwood. Never fished in New Brunswick but will be now. I have a 14 year old son that loves to fish as well. Maybe we could meet up sometime and try some areas around here for some brook trout, if your interested. I fish mostly for Trout, as well as stripers but doesnt look as promising for stripers here in Moncton but ya never know were not far from the Bay. So if you want to once the season opens we could go on a road trip from brook, river stream for the day and see what we can catch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey big brat im new to the area as well and living not far from Dieppe just off of Elmwood. Never fished in New Brunswick but will be now. I have a 14 year old son that loves to fish as well. Maybe we could meet up sometime and try some areas around here for some brook trout, if your interested. I fish mostly for Trout, as well as stripers but doesnt look as promising for stripers here in Moncton but ya never know were not far from the Bay. So if you want to once the season opens we could go on a road trip from brook, river stream for the day and see what we can catch.
thats sounds great,,i'm into catchin trout also,but heck ya we gotta plan a trip as sonn as the season opens up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts